British Speedway Forum
TotallyHonestJohn

Newcastle v Redcar (Champ) 1600 Hours 25/07/21

Are the riders still struggling with tyres? Genuine question not on the wind up or looking to cause trouble.

I wouldn't say the track was crap, just different. Which DOES catch riders out when they're used to the same thing every week.

Redcar adapted quicker and were the stronger team both on paper and shale, well done to them.

The track was NOT crap, it's the best I've seen it racing wise for years. But if its gonna be different, the riders need different setups... the lads will have a full week now to figure them out.

2 hours ago, Robinh88 said:

Are the riders still struggling with tyres? Genuine question not on the wind up or looking to cause trouble.

If they are having issues with tyres it was only one side struggling with them... IMHO it had nothing to do with tyres

On the track... not sure where it was Grippy Charlie Wright put in the fastest time of the season passing Ben Barker up the back straight... also the James Grieves line was 2/3rds of the way out on the 1st and 2nd bends unless my memory is failing and no one goes out where Ludvig used to do his passing in the dirt on bends 3 and 4  as there is nothing there for anyone... no grip whatsoever... and everyone tries the Lemmo cut back on 4 hugging the inside line which can make it rather processional at times... 

3 or 4 passes up the back straight which is unusual for Brough and Dickie Juul's advice in the pits must have been invaluable to Redcar... the dust was an issue for sure and the problem with a new track man for me is he potentially won't listen to the home riders and will prepare the track how he likes to see it not how the home riders want to see it... the issue may settle once the guys get dialled back in... and the dust will settle with more water on the track...

Newcastle were just not good enough in every department... Redcar were better and stronger right through... it was a good old fashioned stuffing without a doubt... gating was an issue all night for the Diamonds with the exception of heat 15 when James Wright got a massive roller and still couldn't keep the lead...

Also what's up with Max Clegg... his body language didn't seem right and on the track the effort just didn't seem there... has his head been turned? He seems to have gone right off the boil...

The team is ripe for changes however is there anyone out there who can come in and significanty strengthen the team... some big decisions to be made...

Finally I am not surprised any newbie liked what they saw as it was a master class of Speedway... passing with thrills and spills... good entertainment... only problem was it was all coming from the away side... Newcastle were just not at the races unfortunately...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Robinh88 said:

The tyres seem to have been a bigger issue for the fans than they have the riders. Once the riders learned they needed more air in them than the Mitas things tended to improve.

They were actually turning down the spare new tyres last night with it being so slick.

THJ - that outside line will come on cooler days when moisture can stay in the track for sure, and with it being smoother more riders will dare to go for it. Trollop will have got some tips off Jonny Swales on the prep too.

44 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

that outside line will come on cooler days when moisture can stay in the track for sure, and with it being smoother more riders will dare to go for it. Trollop will have got some tips off Jonny Swales on the prep too.

A hope ya right but if it doesn't come back soon the riders will.forget it's there... and to be fair there was nothing finer than watching Lingren go for he big bomb on the outside and lately we have seen a couple of riders go for it and you see them going backwards as there is nothing out there...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

Trollop will have got some tips off Jonny Swales on the prep too.

Well, there you go then,,, maybe that's why it favoured Redcar? ;)

2 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

A hope ya right but if it doesn't come back soon the riders will.forget it's there... and to be fair there was nothing finer than watching Lingren go for he big bomb on the outside and lately we have seen a couple of riders go for it and you see them going backwards as there is nothing out there...

Regards 

THJ

Funny that, a few of us was just talking  about Ludde's outside passes yesterday and how we missed them. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ

Couldnt agree more... the track is become a one line track gate and go... no Rene or Ludvigs anymore :(

15 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Funny that, a few of us was just talking  about Ludde's outside passes yesterday and how we missed them. 

See... Everyone criticized when he was here but miss him now hes gone

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Couldnt agree more... the track is become a one line track gate and go... no Rene or Ludvigs anymore :(

See... Everyone criticized when he was here but miss him now hes gone

Aye, tha such a fickle bunch at times,,, just the way things are these days. ;)

20 minutes ago, bri1966 said:

Grieves line was also round the 3rd 4th bend. 

Yep when you think about it... I just seem to remember him doing the business more on 1 and 2 Ludvig was always 3 and 4 Lemmo was his cut back up the inside of 4 and they seemed to be their favourite little moves which they done at least once in a meeting and more often than not it worked... the likes of Rene and  Robbo used to do it anywhere... neither were great at gating but could stalk a rider and pass or just wind it on from behind and go for it... not many can start off 15 and win a race at Brough but I have seen both those guys do it and twice in the case of Robbo... the other guy who could pull a good passing move was Anton Rosen who always made riding a bike look easy... wonder what hes doing these days as he definitely quit way to early IMHO...

Never mind things can only get better...

Regards 

THJ

15 hours ago, Dandelion said:

Track was very different to usual, it actually looked really good to me, maybe the riders weren't happy as it just caught them out a little bit, they didn't even do a track walk at the start? Is there ANY atmosphere in the pits whatsoever? I wouldn't be surprised if not with the manager merry-go-round and the lack of any real big hitters. Shame as the first few home meetings (Leicester and Scunthorpe in particular) were brilliant and the lads put up such a big fight, where tonight they seemed to struggle more with keeping their front wheels down on a much grippier than usual track.

I liked the new track, this track curator is clearly one of the best about, the riders just need to get used to it now... Adam Roynon's hatred for Brough Park clearly isn't disappearing anytime soon either... I know he seemed to have major bike issues with his first bike, but he still seemed to struggle just to keep two wheels on the ground the rest of the meeting.

Really hope Max Clegg can come back to the Max of 2019 too, massive shame seeing him struggle like that :(

They did do a track walk

23 hours ago, arnieg said:

So in  reality the only issue is why is the operative date for Dan Thompson's new average 28/7 on the latest greensheet issue when I think there is universal agreement it should be from 25 July?

On the latest GSA's, issued today, Dan Thompson's new average is effective from 25/7,,, oops has someone dropped a clanger? ;)

27 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

On the latest GSA's, issued today, Dan Thompson's new average is effective from 25/7,,, oops has someone dropped a clanger? ;)

Good job it didn't affect any of his meetings!

• Haha 1