British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

The Olympic Games

The Olympic Games in Japan appear to be under constant threat due to the pandemic. Will they actually be completed I wonder? Personally I always give the Games a wide berth as very little of it interests me.

• Like 1

I see the boss of the opening ceremony has been sacked for a Holocaust comment/joke

Skateboarding !!! That’s a load of old ..... :blink:

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Skateboarding !!! That’s a load of old ..... :blink:

You're just jealous 'cos you can't do it!!!

• Haha 1

So what's the point in banning Russia and then having a team called the Russian Olympic Committee?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, norbold said:

So what's the point in banning Russia and then having a team called the Russian Olympic Committee?

They're hoping that nobody will notice... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, chunky said:

You're just jealous 'cos you can't do it!!!

I'll be alright in 2024 when the breakdancing gets in

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Seems we had a golden day yesterday....3 gold medals.

https://news.sky.com/story/tokyo-olympics-tom-daley-and-matty-lee-win-gold-in-10-metre-synchronised-dive-12364276

Usually I'm glued to TV watching,  but the time difference makes it difficult and it seems to be passing me by. However I shall make the effort to watch 3 day event at weekend. 

Edited by Badge

41 minutes ago, Badge said:

Seems we had a golden day yesterday....3 gold medals.

https://news.sky.com/story/tokyo-olympics-tom-daley-and-matty-lee-win-gold-in-10-metre-synchronised-dive-12364276

Usually I'm glued to TV watching,  but the time difference makes it difficult and it seems to be passing me by. However I shall make the effort to watch 3 day event at weekend. 

I thought that was today, not yesterday  . But then some may say that Ipswich is a day ahead of the rest of country :D

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, jrs said:

I thought that was today, not yesterday  . But then some may say that Ipswich is a day ahead of the rest of country :D

Lol, senior moment:lol:, it happened whilst I was asleep so to me that counts as yesterday :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2021 at 7:26 AM, steve roberts said:

Personally I always give the Games a wide berth as very little of it interests me.

Me too. Personally I find most international standard sport rather dull these days. The  “professionalism “of so- called amateur sports has kind of taken something away in my eyes. Maybe we are just getting old Steve !

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

As far as I'm concerned, any sport where the Olympics isn't already, or is unlikely become its premier competition, shouldn't be in the Olympics. So that would rule out tennis, football and a few others. 

I do quite like watching some of the more obscure and bizarre sports (especially in the Winter Olympics) that you never normally get to see. I even quite enjoyed the skateboarding - only about 45 years after the skateboarding craze began - although I can't really take it seriously as an Olympic sport.  

However, I also liked the fact that despite this being a premier sports competition, screw-ups still happen like in the Triathlon earlier today... :D

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

As far as I'm concerned, any sport where the Olympics isn't already, or is unlikely become its premier competition, shouldn't be in the Olympics. So that would rule out tennis, football and a few others. 

I do quite like watching some of the more obscure and bizarre sports (especially in the Winter Olympics) that you never normally get to see. I even quite enjoyed the skateboarding - only about 45 years after the skateboarding craze began - although I can't really take it seriously as an Olympic sport.  

However, I also liked the fact that despite this being a premier sports competition, screw-ups still happen like in the Triathlon earlier today... :D

Yep, tennis, football and golf can all clear off as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Great Day 3 for GB with Daley and Lee getting diving gold, Peaty expected swim win gold, and Pidcock gold in mountain biking. Fantastic run from Blummenfelt of Norway to beat GB's Yee in Triathlon. Mental toughness at its finest. Cock-up with boat blocking swimmers at start. GB 5th.in medals table at present.

Edited by auntie doris

3 hours ago, Kester said:

Yep, tennis, football and golf can all clear off as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone for Formula 1 Olympics.....or Speedway :), i suppose its motorsport but if multi millionaire tennis players can. 

• Like 1