British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

The Olympic Games

Will the Danes be excluded when Nicki crashed into Chris Harris ?

12 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Italy beat the Danes on the final

Italy seem to be winning a lot of things lately!

Loved the Skateboarding earlier. I don't see why some people don't like seeing this in the Olympics. I thought it was great, and a 13 year old winning a medal for GB for good measure.

I'd rather see that over Golf and Dressage any day!

• Like 4

A quick look at the medal table shows rich, developed nations at the top and poor nations at the bottom.

Not really in the spirit of the Olympics.  :blink:

How about more scholarships for students from third world countries?

6 minutes ago, DC2 said:

A quick look at the medal table shows rich, developed nations at the top and poor nations at the bottom.

Not really in the spirit of the Olympics.  :blink:

How about more scholarships for students from third world countries?

Yes, not all Olympic medals are equal. Athletics...and possibly Boxing are the only true global Olympic sports, hence the spread of medals. I do wince when I hear that someone like a track cyclist or a sailor as our "best ever Olympian". How many Kenyans or Jamaicans have access to a velodrome or a sailing boat? 

Edited by falcace
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, falcace said:

Yes, not all Olympic medals are equal. Athletics...and possibly Boxing are the only true global Olympic sports, hence the spread of medals. I do wince when I hear that someone like Jason Kenny or a sailor as our "best ever Olympian". How many Kenyans or Jamaicans have access to a velodrome or a sailing boat? 

I take it they mean "our" as in "British". Which I wouldn't argue with.

Some interesting possible additions to the games in future. A few which don't need expensive infrastructure or equipment. Meaning more scope for third world countries to compete :D

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, falcace said:

How many Kenyans or Jamaicans have access to a velodrome or a sailing boat? 

How many British people do?

Without wishing to be a party pooper, these sports get millions spent on their elite athletes, yet despite all the guff talked about legacy are really not accessible to the average person.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DC2 said:

There's really a huge gap opening u between the top 6 nations and the rest, which illustrates which ones throw huge amounts of money into winning medals; often in the 'high density' and/or minority sports categories where there's less realistic competition. 

To a large extent though, population dictates success, but there's outliers like India that never seem to win anything despite having 1.2 billion people...

12 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

There's really a huge gap opening u between the top 6 nations and the rest, which illustrates which ones throw huge amounts of money into winning medals; often in the 'high density' and/or minority sports categories where there's less realistic competition. 

To a large extent though, population dictates success, but there's outliers like India that never seem to win anything despite having 1.2 billion people...

Quite strange. I had them down as a major Hockey nation, but I see recently Pakistan have had more success than India. Watching last week and the commentator on the women's hockey mentioned India trying to gain success by having a couple of Dutch coaches, and I was thinking why when they are so good. But obviously my opinion comes from the 70s and 80s I guess

43 minutes ago, falcace said:

Yes, not all Olympic medals are equal. Athletics...and possibly Boxing are the only true global Olympic sports, hence the spread of medals. I do wince when I hear that someone like a track cyclist or a sailor as our "best ever Olympian". How many Kenyans or Jamaicans have access to a velodrome or a sailing boat? 

I agree wit this to an extent

People used to talk about Steven Redgrave. While appreciating what he did, I wouldn't mind betting that he wasn't particularly well known outside of the UK.

For me, our great Olympians are ones who truly did it in front of the whole world such as Kelly Holmes.

• Like 1

Another new 'sport' and got me wondering what the hell .......

Karate, ok. But this Kata ???? The human form of Dressage. My word :blink:

In comparison to their population New Zealand, Australia and Hungary do really well for gold medal winning, India totally naff. Netherlands just behind Germany that has almost 5x as many peeps.

55 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

How many British people do?

Without wishing to be a party pooper, these sports get millions spent on their elite athletes, yet despite all the guff talked about legacy are really not accessible to the average person.

Yes, to a degree. But there is a decent amount of velodromes across the UK. Can't say I ever took the opportunity when living in Edinburgh (Meadowbank) or London (Olympic Park), but had I wanted to, it's fairly accessible. Not for anyone living in Kenya though.  

31 minutes ago, Grachan said:

I agree wit this to an extent

People used to talk about Steven Redgrave. While appreciating what he did, I wouldn't mind betting that he wasn't particularly well known outside of the UK.

For me, our great Olympians are ones who truly did it in front of the whole world such as Kelly Holmes.

Of course. Whisper it (and if you don't you might get shouted down), but Redgrave's success in fours or pairs was akin to be being a successful relay runner...and in a not very popular sport either. You can get really granular with it, even within sports. Much as I enjoyed seeing Holly Bradshaw get a medal earlier, there's not really global participation in pole vaulting. Distance running on the other hand is a lot different. Athletes like Kelly Holmes and Mo Farah were the best in an activity that tens of millions of people have or still do take part in....they reached the top of an enormous pyramid of participation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

In comparison to their population New Zealand, Australia and Hungary do really well for gold medal winning, India totally naff. Netherlands just behind Germany that has almost 5x as many peeps.

I think we can put a lot of that down to culture. Unless you have been to India, it's hard understand just how much cricket dominates the sporting landscape above all else. I think the culture we have in the UK of running, cycling, swimming for our health and wellbeing, is not something that translates to all countries...India, I'd suggest being one of them. 

The Netherlands on the other hand with their cycling culture are instinctively active. I'd also venture the theory that their flat landscape lends itself to sports facility developments better than most. I've not spent a vast amount of time there, but on visits and train rides through the country, it's notable how many quality facilities you come across like all weather hockey facilities on the landscape.