British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

The Olympic Games

12 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I did have a laugh at all the anti-EU headlines there

But the EU panic after Nordic nationalists vowed to 'tear bloc apart' is a cracker :D

Funny, but when you see the comments, quite depressing on how many are taken in by it all. It's an alternate reality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

There's also their old favourites, the Princess Diana and faked Moon landing conspiracies... :rolleyes:

Or "Britain to be hit by Arctic Blast for THREE MONTHS" or "Killer heatwave to blast Britain NEXT WEEK".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's also their old favourites, the Princess Diana and faked Moon landing conspiracies... :rolleyes:

...you're in blumpet territory dear boy! ;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It's been a fantastic Olympics again.

I did wonder if Great Britain might start to drop off, now that the home games is becoming history. But we're doing very well again and now firmly established as one of the six top nations and the best West European nation - the failure of Atlanta 1996 seems a long time ago!

Laura Trott/Kenny is a phenomenon.  I think she will rewrite the records and become Britain's most successful Olympian and perhaps one of the greatest of any nation. 

And, yes, Badger, I did find the final of the show jumping very exciting. Only the Olympics can do that!

So happy for our pole vaulter yesterday as well. Holly Bradshaw been just out of the medals for ages, and this time after a huge four-way battle at the end, took a very deserved bronze and looked as happy as if she'd won the gold.

EDIT: Just reading back.  Only on the BSF could the Olympics, a celebration of sport, become so political :D

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

And, yes, Badger, I did find the final of the show jumping very exciting. Only the Olympics can do that!

One of the moments for me at London 2012 was sitting in a pub in Victoria where the whole place was glued to the dressage. :D Never before and never again. It was a truly unique time. 

5 minutes ago, falcace said:

One of the moments for me at London 2012 was sitting in a pub in Victoria where the whole place was glued to the dressage. :D Never before and never again. It was a truly unique time. 

I went to the Olympic Park twice for the Olympics (including the morning of Super Saturday in the stadium) and three times for the Paralympics, and the atmosphere around the whole of London was unique. On the underground, no-one normally speaks (unless they know each other), but everyone was chatting away, especially if it was clear you were on the way to the Olympics. 

The Paralympics had even more of a party atmosphere - my cousin and I had general admission tickets (so could see a variety of sports) on the final full day and she was high-fiving all the police officers (who didn't have anything to do, because there was zero trouble) on the way out.

Done correctly, the two events are a celebration of sports and politics doesn't come into it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those Dutch birds ain't arf good at ockey

1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

EDIT: Just reading back.  Only on the BSF could the Olympics, a celebration of sport, become so political :D

Unfortunately, a fair amount does come down to politics though.

The Olympics increasingly seems to be a state-sponsored exercise in national jingoism to distract attention from the many real issues facing the country. Something that the Soviet Union would have been proud of.

Even if you just look a things from a sporting angle, there's been a deliberate attempt to throw huge amounts of money at minority sports where there's relatively little competition and where you can outspend other countries on technology and performance programmes. And the focus also tends to be on those sports that offer a plethora of medals which magnify the apparent success of the programmes. 

Okay, it makes everyone in the country feel good for a short while, to take their minds off the increasingly empty shelves in the supermarkets, and perhaps that shouldn't be discounted. Meanwhile though, England has lost literally thousands of teams in its traditional sports over the past 25 years, which arguably provide more fitness and social cohesion benefits to the wider population than the likes of a velodrome ever will. The state of the public and even many private sporting facilities remains appalling in the UK in comparison to other developed countries, and the nation is arguably far less healthy than it was 25 years ago.

The focus on sport seems to have moved from the taking part to watching elite athletes compete as a form of entertainment, despite all the babbling about 'legacy'. So whilst I do like watching the obscure sports once every 4 (or in this case 5) years and seeing athletes at the top of their games getting their deserved moment in the limelight, I don't think it's unreasonable to be questioning whether buying Olympic medals is really money well spent for the nation in the grand scheme of things. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, falcace said:

Well we did have the best ever horse competing for us. Valegro, not sure we'll see the like again. 

12 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

I went to the Olympic Park twice for the Olympics (including the morning of Super Saturday in the stadium) and three times for the Paralympics, and the atmosphere around the whole of London was unique. On the underground, no-one normally speaks (unless they know each other), but everyone was chatting away, especially if it was clear you were on the way to the Olympics. 

It was the probably the last genuinely cohesive moment for the entire UK, but unfortunately it was also a 1 in a multiple generations thing. 

As for legacy, the Olympic Stadium basically had to be given away to West Ham, whilst the rest of the Olympic Park beyond the velodrome and pool was already starting to look run down and decrepit when I went a couple of years ago. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Badge said:

Well we did have the best ever horse competing for us. Valegro, not sure we'll see the like again. 

That show jumping horse this time around seemed pretty exceptional as well.

4 minutes ago, lucifer sam said:

That show jumping horse this time around seemed pretty exceptional as well.

He's just had one down in team qualifiers.  Not sure we can get a medal tomorrow now, we've accrued 20 jumping penalties 

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Unfortunately, a fair amount does come down to politics though.

The Olympics increasingly seems to be a state-sponsored exercise in national jingoism to distract attention from the many real issues facing the country. Something that the Soviet Union would have been proud of.

Even if you just look a things from a sporting angle, there's been a deliberate attempt to throw huge amounts of money at minority sports where there's relatively little competition and where you can outspend other countries on technology and performance programmes. And the focus also tends to be on those sports that offer a plethora of medals which magnify the apparent success of the programmes. 

Okay, it makes everyone in the country feel good for a short while, to take their minds off the increasingly empty shelves in the supermarkets, and perhaps that shouldn't be discounted. Meanwhile though, England has lost literally thousands of teams in its traditional sports over the past 25 years, which arguably provide more fitness and social cohesion benefits to the wider population than the likes of a velodrome ever will. The state of the public and even many private sporting facilities remains appalling in the UK in comparison to other developed countries, and the nation is arguably far less healthy than it was 25 years ago.

The focus on sport seems to have moved from the taking part to watching elite athletes compete as a form of entertainment, despite all the babbling about 'legacy'. So whilst I do like watching the obscure sports once every 4 (or in this case 5) years and seeing athletes at the top of their games getting their deserved moment in the limelight, I don't think it's unreasonable to be questioning whether buying Olympic medals is really money well spent for the nation in the grand scheme of things. 

Humph, I often agree with you, but not here.  I don't see much jingoism.  Just a pride in seeing sportspeople from our country doing well. 

Sorry if it's replaced all the doom and gloom in the news for a couple of weeks. It'll be back after the Olympics has finished (the co-op where I shop was half empty the other day) and then you can be happy again. :wink:

In the meantime, can't we appreciate the exploits of our sportsmen and sportswomen for just a couple more days? 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lucifer sam said:

In the meantime, can't we appreciate the exploits of our sportsmen and sportswomen for just a couple more days? 

The issue is not that I don't not enjoy the Olympics or appreciate the exploits of the sportsman and women, especially those who dedicate their lives to doing it despite the poor rewards. In fact, in some ways it's encouraging that we can still spend public money on programmes that are actually successful in terms of their objectives, but I do think some sight has been lost of why we're actually supposed to be doing these things in the first place ;)

Oh, and whilst I'm far from being an Alex Scott hater, why does she have to be on every single sports show these days regardless of her knowledge about what she's commenting on...? :blink:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Oh, and whilst I'm far from being an Alex Scott hater, why does she have to be on every single sports show these days regardless of her knowledge about what she's commenting on...? :blink:

A beautiful young lady and then she opens her gob, reminiscent of Lorraine Chase to me. Like finger nails on a blackboard.