British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

The Olympic Games

Just now, iris123 said:

Darts do. But it ain’t in the Olympics. One highly regarded journalist doesn’t even consider it a sport 

Has darts always? or is it just a recent thing?

Just now, Badge said:

Has darts always? or is it just a recent thing?

Tbh I only noticed it at the last world championship . But you win :D

Posted (edited)

It's only a gimmick - and it's hardly "equal". A 96-player field, and they allow 2 spots for women...

And they qualify for it by playing against other women.

Edited by chunky

57 minutes ago, chunky said:

Oi! You forgot speedway!!!

Motorsport in general. 

Few women have raced at high levels, but in principle there's nothing to stop them. There's certainly quite a few women racing at lower levels alongside men.

3 hours ago, Badge said:

As a spectator possibly,  but as a rider it's hard work and loads of training to get those horses "dancing " And wow when you compete it's awesome. :)

I don't doubt it, but the horse doesn't get the medal for dancing... :D

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Motorsport in general. 

Few women have raced at high levels, but in principle there's nothing to stop them. There's certainly quite a few women racing at lower levels alongside men.

There have been a few over the years, and I am sure there will be more in the coming.years.

Probably the most famous being Michele Mouton who finished 2nd in the World Rally Championship one year (82, I think, but could be wrong)

Danica Patrick won Indycar race(s?) and competed well in NASCAR for a good few years. Hailie Deegan (daughter of MotoX star Brian) is looking to follow in her footsteps and is currently racing in the NASCAR truck series.

Ana Carasco has had some decent results recently in the smaller supersports categories on bikes.

Edit - Maybe "decent results" was doing her a disservice. I just checked and she won the World title a few years back in Supersport 300.

Edited by HenryW

Gold again for Tom Dean in 4x200m freestyle swim relay, finishing over 3 seconds clear of Russians.

11 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Gold again for Tom Dean in 4x200m freestyle swim relay, finishing over 3 seconds clear of Russians.

Fantastic effort from team GB , well done.

• Thanks 1

China and Japan 11 golds,  USA 10, GB 5 so far.

13 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I don't doubt it, but the horse doesn't get the medal for dancing... :D

Lol a carrot or a mint is their preferred choice :D

Just watching the table tennis. How come Hong Kong have a team in the Olympics?

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, norbold said:

For the same reason that Bermuda, Puerto Rico and numerous other dependencies have teams at the Olympics. 

Many of these teams participated in the Olympics long before decolonisation, and whilst National Olympic Committees can now only represent sovereign countries, this does not apply retroactively to pre-existing NOCs. However, the Netherlands Antilles lost their Olympic team when that country was dissolved, even though the Aruban team continues to participate as it had previously seceded before the rules changed. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, norbold said:

And, how come those ROC athletes are competing.  I thought all the Russians were banned :unsure:

1 hour ago, Badge said:

And, how come those ROC athletes are competing.  I thought all the Russians were banned :unsure:

No, they are just banned from representing "Russia"...  Get it? :rofl:

I'm still gobsmacked by what happened to us in the coxless fours...