British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

The Olympic Games

19 hours ago, Grachan said:

Our school actually had its own indoor swimming pool when I was there. We had "Swimming" once a week in the timetable and had no choice but to learn to swim.

Later, years after I left, the pool was demolished and filled in. The school then later moved to a brand new building. My kids went to the new one and never had a single swimming lesson between them while they were there.

I hated swimming but did manage to pass my 10 yards (shows how long ago that was!) at Primary School and although moving up to a Grammar School it wasn't part of the curriculum I was encouraged to take lessons to become more proficient but failed misearbly. I haven't swam since 1974...

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

I hated swimming but did manage to pass my 10 yards (shows how long ago that was!) at Primary School and although moving up to a Grammar School it wasn't part of the curriculum I was encouraged to take lessons to become more proficient but failed misearbly. I haven't swam since 1974...

I was at a Grammar School too. I remember the start of one lesson, all those who had done 10 yards (me included) were taken to the deep end and told, in no uncertain terms, to do a length!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Women's Olympic Sports are now on life support.

• Haha 1

Tough watching Dina Asher-Smith.

A class act in every way. A huge talent. Really unlucky to be injured at the worst possible time.

• Like 2

Just watched a bit of boxing,  why no head shields for the men now?

28 minutes ago, Badge said:

Just watched a bit of boxing,  why no head shields for the men now?

Because medical studies indicated they did nothing to prevent head injuries. In fact, the evidence suggests it may increase them as it adds more weight to the head whilst creating a bigger (and less sweaty) target.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Grachan said:

I was at a Grammar School too. I remember the start of one lesson, all those who had done 10 yards (me included) were taken to the deep end and told, in no uncertain terms, to do a length!

Things had gone metric by my time, so it was the 10 metre swim. The problem was that our pool was actually 12.5 metres long, so we were tricked in doing extra distance.

Given that the 25 metre certificate was two lengths of the same pool, it's strange that I was the only one who seemed to twig. I guess maths wasn't taught that well at our school... :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Because medical studies indicated they did nothing to prevent head injuries. In fact, the evidence suggests it may increase them as it adds more weight to the head whilst creating a bigger (and less sweaty) target.

Which begs the obvious question - why are the women wearing them in that case?

• Like 2

Wow, stayed up until stupid o'clock this morning to watch the 3 day event cross country,  team GB were brilliant,  fingers crossed now they all pass the vet inspection and can keep their nerves in the show jumping stage tomorrow. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Grachan said:

Which begs the obvious question - why are the women wearing them in that case?

Apparently because they don't hit each other as hard.

• Sad 1

Amazing that BMX freestyle.:blink::t:

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

Apparently because they don't hit each other as hard.

But with men becoming women….. they soon will be hitting as hard.

• Haha 2

Wow nice little wait, but finally team GB Olympic 3 day event champions :party:

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Badge said:

Wow nice little wait, but finally team GB Olympic 3 day event champions :party:

Superb..1972 last time:D