British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Extortionate Admission Prices

Why are Speedway admission prices extortionate? For a night out at Belle View for my wife and I would cost the best part of £50 really....I don't think so. No wonder the terraces are empty re: Quest speedway coverage. As is the case in society the only ones who can afford these prices are pensioners. Speedway turnstiles will be looking like Waitrose on a Thursday morning.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Why are Speedway admission prices extortionate? For a night out at Belle View for my wife and I would cost the best part of £50 really....I don't think so. No wonder the terraces are empty re: Quest speedway coverage. As is the case in society the only ones who can afford these prices are pensioners. Speedway turnstiles will be looking like Waitrose on a Thursday morning.

It all boils down to the kit I think at the end of the day, the sooner it's slowed down and standardised the better imo.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

The Theatre Royal  in Norwich has the 85 year old  Engelbert Humperdink doing a one and a half hour show for £62.50 . and part of the act will be mimed or perhaps even all . That's what you call extortionate. Some of the seats are even dearer in other theatres to see him. Then there will be another £10 for a programme

Edited by mickthemuppet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mickthemuppet said:

The Theatre Royal  in Norwich has the 85 year old  Engelbert Humperdink doing a one and a half hour show for £62.50 . and part of the act will be mimed or perhaps even all . That's what you call extortionate. Some of the seats are even dearer in other theatres to see him. Then there will be another £10 for a programme

I think that confirms the only people with that sort of disposable income are pensioners obviously the promoters have tagged on to this. We need to attract a younger clientele who can afford lower prices.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

I think that confirms the only people with that sort of disposable income are pensioners obviously the promoters have tagged on to this. We need to attract a younger clientele who can afford lower prices.

Some hope. :rofl::rofl:

They are too busy playing games on their Computers or messing about with their mobile 'phones. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Was looking at the prices for "The Hundred" earlier... which no matter how much they try and hype it is still cricket. 

Under 5's free

6-15's a fiver

Adults from a tenner

At least there's always something going on at the cricket... I'm typing this as the tractor is doing its umpteenth lap at Leicester!

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The generalising speedway is unaffordable for most working people. Most people who follow speedway just don't have £20 to watch 15 races apart from pensioners.

6 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

The generalising speedway is unaffordable for most working people. Most people who follow speedway just don't have £20 to watch 15 races apart from pensioners.

I disagree... there's quite a good mix here at Leicester. What I would say is that £20 is quite a lot to pay out if you were taking a punt as a newcomer. I'm not sure I would. 

• Like 1

Good point die hards will pay it but they are a dying breed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Good point die hards will pay it but they are a dying breed.

Would you pay £20 for example to goto a non league football match if you'd never been before? It's the only equivalent I can think of

Nothing is of good value at the moment. Everywhere is trying to recoup lost revenues quickly, rather than just being happy to have customers back. 

Was gonna do Duxford Battle of Britain airshow this weekend but at £42.50 per adult, RIAT 2022 at £57 per adult.

I'm waiting on the potential ticket prices for Cardiff SGP 2022 if it goes ahead. I'd have a guess at £35 cheapest ticket?? 

Must admit turning 60 so paying £16 has kept me going this season at Monmore

Most motorcycle enthusiasts will probably find something else to spend £20 eg food, rent, insurance.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Was looking at the prices for "The Hundred" earlier... which no matter how much they try and hype it is still cricket. 

Under 5's free

6-15's a fiver

Adults from a tenner

At least there's always something going on at the cricket... I'm typing this as the tractor is doing its umpteenth lap at Leicester!

I was at the double header today at Trent Bridge. £14 for two matches with some decent cricket, resident DJ and live music throughout the day - there was a similarity with the speedway as the sound system in the Yu Energy Stand wasn't great :D At least it meant that I didn't hear too much of the modern day "music"! Certainly good VFM.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

This is a one off concert, not a weekly expense, probably the last chance to see an iconic singer in this country, the theatres will be full, unlike our speedway stadiums, as for miming, it's only todays excuses for singers who mime or the stadium/arena acts who are so far away, you wouldn't even notice if they were puppets.

• Like 1