British Speedway Forum
Pieman72

Extortionate Admission Prices

It looks like you and I are on a similar page. I agree with most of what you wrote and thank you for taking the time to do that rather than the emoji format.

In the current climate I do not see a way for speedway to survive. Maybe part time but by then many tracks will have gone. Let's build paper thin and poor quality housing on this land.

Time has expired on speedway in the UK. Which is why I posted. I genuinely hope everyone goes along to a few tracks in the next few weeks because not many tracks/teams, if any, will be around next season.

My local team will only survive if others do the same. Our stadium is looked at every year for property development and if there are only a few teams to race against then the door will close, forever.

22 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Are you a rider or promoter or one of those stupid enough to invest good money after bad in a business where effectively the staff (riders) dictate how, when and if a meeting goes ahead.?

Riders are suppose to entertain but if the track does not suit them or the weather is not right, they rarely ride to their capabilities and simply go through the motions, hence extortionate prices to watch demonstration races and it is the riders and promoters who need a thought change unless you run the IOW then they have already provided what the punter would like to see in terms of value for money and various disciplines.

Stadiums generally are crap and only speedway fans would put up with poor facilities etc. and actually pay for what you rightly say is fifteen to twenty minutes of races in two plus hours.

It will not die but it might end up with part time riders and amateur competitions. Failure to crack on with changes and reinvent itself over the past twenty years in the U K finds the sport where it is today. Even the body that manages the sport has failed miserably to ensure that regular and reliable t v coverage, which should be the window on promoting the sport in the U K , is up to the job. When Eurosport can cock up the Olympic coverage what chance for a second rate down on its heels sport like speedway.

In terms of what is wrong with the sport, from a fans perspective it is endless. From a promoters perspective all in the garden is Rosie and for all its faults it is basic enough, four riders and four laps yet the rule book has taken away the simplicity. It needs to go back to basics and each club really ought to be run as a business but not a hobby for a few entrepreneurs who, if it was their main operation they would have liquidated a long time back and put their money into something  that might generate a return over and above bank deposit rates.

I hope you local club survives.

Apologies Hawk, I meant to quote you in my response.

11 minutes ago, Prentice1874 said:

Apologies Hawk, I meant to quote you in my response.

No problem. Like you, I and most on here have lost the plot so back to the entertainment with WWE and the Undertaker and this will be followed by the riveting world fishing championship from a local garden pond near you. Eurosport have pulled out all the stops. 

I've just been reading Birmingham's statement from this morning. I really feel for the Brummies owners and hope things turn around but their statement has three points which I think relate to what's going wrong. 

Firstly - Kent are visiting with the legendary Scott Nicholls. Is that meant as I've got to go next next week because I get to see Scotty Nicholls ride? No disrespect to Scott but I saw him ride 20 years ago when he was at his prime. If it was Tai Woffinden or Bartosz Smarzlik in town then maybe yeah - I'd go. 

Secondly - Fan can now pay on the gate so there's no excuses from here not to come - Goes back to my point of you can't just open the gate anymore and take your customers for granted. 

Thirdly - One last chance for the people of Birmingham to show us they want speedway - I want to have a pub in my village but if they served flat beer and crap food I wouldn't bother going.   

Edited by JamesHarris
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Prentice1874 said:

It looks like you and I are on a similar page. I agree with most of what you wrote and thank you for taking the time to do that rather than the emoji format.

In the current climate I do not see a way for speedway to survive. Maybe part time but by then many tracks will have gone. Let's build paper thin and poor quality housing on this land.

Time has expired on speedway in the UK. Which is why I posted. I genuinely hope everyone goes along to a few tracks in the next few weeks because not many tracks/teams, if any, will be around next season.

My local team will only survive if others do the same. Our stadium is looked at every year for property development and if there are only a few teams to race against then the door will close, forever.

Joking aside, it is sad that what should be a thrilling sport finds itself in such a sad state of affairs. Yes we are probably on the same page and I use to go week in week out irrespective of the result but since 2016, it has in my opinion gone down hill and I really can only bring myself to watch the up and coming riders who do the utmost and ride with heart on sleeve. I was really hoping that the NDL meetings would be part of the entertainment at the top tracks but they just paid lip service to this idea and nothing so my local club have again lost out on my attendance. Only Mildenhall provide the sort of racing that will get my support. Raw talent but entertaining and in the main only ones way to go, that is up.

38 minutes ago, Hawk127 said:

Joking aside, it is sad that what should be a thrilling sport finds itself in such a sad state of affairs. Yes we are probably on the same page and I use to go week in week out irrespective of the result but since 2016, it has in my opinion gone down hill and I really can only bring myself to watch the up and coming riders who do the utmost and ride with heart on sleeve. I was really hoping that the NDL meetings would be part of the entertainment at the top tracks but they just paid lip service to this idea and nothing so my local club have again lost out on my attendance. Only Mildenhall provide the sort of racing that will get my support. Raw talent but entertaining and in the main only ones way to go, that is up.

There is nothing better in speedway than watching riders progress. One year Todd Wiltshire was winning an individual at Glasgow and the next year finishing 3rd in the world. Most recently Max Fricke transforming from a 19 year old for the Monarchs into a Torun SGP winner. Next hope is Josh Pickering, absolutely stunning value for money.

I'll miss it all.

Edit. Todd may have finished 3rd at Glasgow. Definitely top 3.

Edited by Prentice1874
Bad memory
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, waytogo28 said:

It's Sayonara then to UK league speedway as we know it and have been stuck in the historical rut of for 20 plus years. Fewer and fewer do want to pay for it and that is the final arbiter. No paying punters and or No sponsors means that it is not viable. We have You Tube to watch this extinct creature when we need a dose of nostalgia. That's life! Every "craze" has it's time and speedway had a very good run for it's money. Too long really because for many it had become  Yawn, boring, lacked passing, thrills excitement and lost it's tag of "racing" ( in the main with 3 or 4 of the heats in a match containing any) and was for many too expensive or poor value for money. It will stagger on in some form for a while to a diminishing group of spectators. If it is really Bye Bye time, so be it. Plenty of opportunities then for re-unions. By the way I was an addict for 40 plus years but managed to wean myself off it, over the last ten years. Phew!

Ooops it was Pieman who said that, sorry Mick.

OOps it was in fact Prentice 1874 who said that!

Like Grasstrack it will continue but in what form who knows?

43 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I've just been reading Birmingham's statement from this morning. I really feel for the Brummies owners and hope things turn around but their statement has three points which I think relate to what's going wrong. 

Firstly - Kent are visiting with the legendary Scott Nicholls. Is that meant as I've got to go next next week because I get to see Scotty Nicholls ride? No disrespect to Scott but I saw him ride 20 years ago when he was at his prime. If it was Tai Woffinden or Bartosz Smarzlik in town then maybe yeah - I'd go. 

Secondly - Fan can now pay on the gate so there's no excuses from here not to come - Goes back to my point of you can't just open the gate anymore and take your customers for granted. 

Thirdly - One last chance for the people of Birmingham to show us they want speedway - I want to have a pub in my village but if they served flat beer and crap food I wouldn't bother going.   

James, your 'thirdly' is absolutely nail on the head if you pardon the pun. Sadly.

2 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

I don't think it's dead but it does need to evolve. If I'm honest I haven't been to a meeting since the end of 2013 as I wanted a complete break from the sport. I am tempted to go and watch a meeting this year (probably at Leicester) but even though I am fortunate to be financially comfortable, I am still asking myself is it really worth it at £18 each and then £3 for a programme plus food and drink? If I was going to see some of the best riders in the World and be a part of a buzzing near to capacity crowd  I wouldn't hesitate but deep down I know I won't be getting good value for that money. I could go out for a really  nice meal and drinks for less. I could go down to my local non-league football club and watch a decent game with a decent sized crowd and have a good laugh for £7. For less than the two adult admissions and programme we could go to the cinema or the bowling alley and have a much better time. 

The promoters need to understand their audience and what their audience expect for their cash. You just can't take them for granted anymore. The days of opening the gates and expecting  the same crowd plus more to come and watch more of the same are over. I've said before that speedway in the UK is mostly played to a die hard working class audience. One you price those loyal customers out then the game is over. 

The biggest problem speedway has IMO - you are basically seeing the same riders race all the time. Just in a different race jacket depending on what night of the week it is. 

Truly wasting your time my friend...

This feedback could be replicated ten thousand (at least) fold...

No one is listening

"I need to find a guest as my rider is injured for my team but not his other one"..

"Who rides my track well and I can use that 5% above the average of my injured rider the best?"

Utter. Utter. Bollocks..

But seems to make sense to those who run the sport.. .

"Roll up. Roll up. Form and orderly queue and give us your money"..

"You should be f***ing grateful us promoters do this"...:D

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mickthemuppet said:

What a load of rubbish

How constructive!

12 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

I am still asking myself is it really worth it at £18 each and then £3 for a programme plus food and drink? If I was going to see some of the best riders in the World and be a part of a buzzing near to capacity crowd  I wouldn't hesitate but deep down I know I won't be getting good value for that money.

It's only £17 at Leicester :lol:

You'll see the best riders in the East Midlands on that particular night, you can bring a pack up and to be fair the atmosphere is pretty good... Don't expect to see much in the way of good racing though :(

10 hours ago, JamesHarris said:

How many times have we seen statements like this from clubs. If the bloke in charge can only come up with Scott Nicholls is coming to town as the only selling point there's no chance. I went to the Redcar match the other week after they restarted and the track was awful billowing large clouds of dust, the vantage points for a decent view are almost non existent unless you go behind the glass in the restaurant. It's been shown numerous times over the years that sadly Birmingham just isn't a Speedway city. As much as it pains me to say it they should probably just cut their losses and shut up shop and maybe look at opening up somewhere else.

12 hours ago, Prentice1874 said:

You haven't been for 8 years. You raise many valid issues but it's too late. It's too late for opinions and it's too late for talk of 'evolve'. It's not happening and the sport is almost dead in the UK. 

In the main it was led by leaders ( over the last 20 years ) who were incapable of taking it anywhere new and had little or no vision of what it could be if re-invented. Too much concentration on what the riders said they wanted / needed and almso NO thought about what the many departing supporters wanted / needed ( to encourage them to part with their money ).  Less emphasis on rocket ship bikes - speed never having been the main attraction in the recipe of presenting close exciting racing, Should be simpler ( cheaper ) one class bikes 350cc or restricted 500 cc so that riders who wanted to race, could have a go at doing so. Sadly too late for that as many promoters and riders are fixed in the mindset of "it's OK as it is". It's not and the pool of riders ride anywhere and everywhere for any team in any league across the country. Not my cup of tea - Unless that circus provided close exciting racing in 50% plus of the heats. It is "all over" in the first 1/2 lap in 75% of heats ( races they cannot be called! ).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chadster said:

I watched a couple of You Tube videos of that meeting and there didn't seem to be many there. Of course, there might have been huge crowds just out of range of the camera, but the main stand seemed a mass of empty seats.

Hopefully this week we will have revised the camera angle because the start cam points basically to the least popular 4th bend stand. I can assure you our crowds have been up this year and last night we were really busy. Thanks so much for the feedback, reading this and plus my own viewing of it, made us realise we needed to change the position of start-cam. Andy H from Speedway Portal is amazing at what he does.. so looking forward to the next lot of film. Thanks again

• Like 4

3 hours ago, iainb said:

How many times have we seen statements like this from clubs. If the bloke in charge can only come up with Scott Nicholls is coming to town as the only selling point there's no chance. I went to the Redcar match the other week after they restarted and the track was awful billowing large clouds of dust, the vantage points for a decent view are almost non existent unless you go behind the glass in the restaurant. It's been shown numerous times over the years that sadly Birmingham just isn't a Speedway city. As much as it pains me to say it they should probably just cut their losses and shut up shop and maybe look at opening up somewhere else.

Given how many times he guests, Scott will be coming to a track near absolutely everyone sometime soon I am sure.. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, barrybishop said:

Hopefully this week we will have revised the camera angle because the start cam points basically to the least popular 4th bend stand. I can assure you our crowds have been up this year and last night we were really busy. Thanks so much for the feedback, reading this and plus my own viewing of it, made us realise we needed to change the position of start-cam. Andy H from Speedway Portal is amazing at what he does.. so looking forward to the next lot of film. Thanks again

A Speedway promoter reacting to feedback...?

And taking it as constructive comment, and not defensively? 

And using it to improve his operation rather than decide "I am right' and ignore the feedback?

Are you sure you are cut out for this Barry? :D

• Like 6