British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Kent v Poole 27/7/21 6.30pm

Fantastic meeting last night at Central Park stadium. Great racing and lots of passing .

Kent just need another heat leader and a replacement for Paul Hurry. It's not for the want of trying but I don't think he is going to improve,  too many injuries have blighted his  speedway career, although he is still a class act on the grass.

Kent have a great set up at Central Park and I hope they can make a success of staging speedway at Championship level.

• Like 1

Danyon was always good value when he was at Ipswich, bit rough round the edges but was to be expected as he'd not long converted over to speedway as i believe he came from another 2 wheeled background originally, he always had good bikes so happy to see his hard work finally starting to pay off.

2 minutes ago, speedwaysliders said:

Would Len Silver get the best out of Lewis Bridger if he returned to the sport?I have to say a bid yes.

Funny that you should mention Lewis Bridger.  I am sure I saw him at Central Park a couple of weeks ago although, as he was not dressed

in Kevlars, I am not 100% certain.  If he could be persuaded to ride in a serious way, would be good for the club. A very entertaining rider.

Having said that, the entertainment in the Poole match was brilliant.  The score did not matter one little bit.  All of us expected Poole to win, and win they

did.  But I wonder what the result would have been if they had not enjoyed a fantastic best ever performance by Danyon Hume, their reserve. ?  Scott did

not seem his usual self.

Scott said on Twitter this morning he hurt his shoulder in the heat one fall which ruled him out of heat 15.

15 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Funny that you should mention Lewis Bridger.  I am sure I saw him at Central Park a couple of weeks ago although, as he was not dressed

in Kevlars, I am not 100% certain.  If he could be persuaded to ride in a serious way, would be good for the club. A very entertaining rider.

Having said that, the entertainment in the Poole match was brilliant.  The score did not matter one little bit.  All of us expected Poole to win, and win they

did.  But I wonder what the result would have been if they had not enjoyed a fantastic best ever performance by Danyon Hume, their reserve. ?  Scott did

not seem his usual self.

Buster thought he was serious at Lynn. I wouldn't bother.

1 hour ago, lisa-colette said:

Whoever recommended him to MF should be asking for some commission! ;):D

I would be surprised Lisa , if Danny King didn’t have a huge input on getting Danyon this chance.Danny has helped him develop as a rider over the last few years great to see some young Brit’s coming through.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Couple of things from last night. No center green commentator. All we got was some muffled announcer who we gave up trying to understand what was being said. Couldn’t hear the race times and rider changes. The announcer shows little to no enthusiasm and there is a distinct lack of atmosphere. The fans don’t make any noise and tepid polite hand clapping is not what this sport is about. The presentation severely lacks. A center green presenter whipping up a crowd is what is needed.

I am actually the centre green presenter at Kent, although due to local covid restrictions we are very limited to what we can do.  This season has been limited to a pre match coin toss, and post match interviews.

In the past we have done interviews during the meeting but as you ve heard yourself the sound system is not the best. And its pretty pointless interviewing anyone whilst tractors are out as well.

As for Glenn in the box, (when you are stood somewhere you can hear clearly...) there aren't many people better at getting all the relevant info out there, whilst dealing with all the refs commands as Glenn (and indeed his mentor Derek).  I think people would genuinely be shocked at how much goes on in the box, frankly anyone who does that job has my undivided respect.

Its fair to say the quality of the sound system has been a thorn in the side of the speedway since day 1, but i do know they ve had various sound engineers in over the years. So whilst there has only been minor improvements, that isn't through the lack of trying.

I don't know for certain, but knowing we have a very tight curfew due to noise concerns from a couple of the neighbours, I imagine that has prevented them just plonking a couple of huge speakers on the greyhound track. 

Really great to read your various posts on the meeting and the stadium. I will share them with the club management, as when someone highlights all the positives that are happening you'd like to think they will take on board the constructive criticisms as well as the compliments.

As for the crowd being quiet, despite air horns and the like being banned, I ve never heard us described as being quiet before. But I speak to many of my mates and many are still in awe of the speed, skill, and ruthlessness the step up in leagues has provided. 

Many fans are still getting their heads around the fact that the Poole Pirates are actually at Central Park. 

Nice to see soo many Poole fans, and getting to interview Midlo was an unexpected surprise.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, speedwaysliders said:

Would Len Silver get the best out of Lewis Bridger if he returned to the sport?I have to say a bid yes.

Doubt it ,don’t think Len would be taken by his false promises that he is raring to go.Waster of  the biggest order.IMO.

5 hours ago, speedwaysliders said:

He never got the best out of Garrity. He let Len down big time.

38 minutes ago, chris4gillian said:

Paul Hurry has today announced his retirement from speedway.

Lined up for the impending new rider at Kent and a big hitter at that...

Regards 

THJ

2 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I am actually the centre green presenter at Kent, although due to local covid restrictions we are very limited to what we can do.  This season has been limited to a pre match coin toss, and post match interviews.

In the past we have done interviews during the meeting but as you ve heard yourself the sound system is not the best. And its pretty pointless interviewing anyone whilst tractors are out as well.

As for Glenn in the box, (when you are stood somewhere you can hear clearly...) there aren't many people better at getting all the relevant info out there, whilst dealing with all the refs commands as Glenn (and indeed his mentor Derek).  I think people would genuinely be shocked at how much goes on in the box, frankly anyone who does that job has my undivided respect.

Its fair to say the quality of the sound system has been a thorn in the side of the speedway since day 1, but i do know they ve had various sound engineers in over the years. So whilst there has only been minor improvements, that isn't through the lack of trying.

I don't know for certain, but knowing we have a very tight curfew due to noise concerns from a couple of the neighbours, I imagine that has prevented them just plonking a couple of huge speakers on the greyhound track. 

Really great to read your various posts on the meeting and the stadium. I will share them with the club management, as when someone highlights all the positives that are happening you'd like to think they will take on board the constructive criticisms as well as the compliments.

As for the crowd being quiet, despite air horns and the like being banned, I ve never heard us described as being quiet before. But I speak to many of my mates and many are still in awe of the speed, skill, and ruthlessness the step up in leagues has provided. 

Many fans are still getting their heads around the fact that the Poole Pirates are actually at Central Park. 

Nice to see soo many Poole fans, and getting to interview Midlo was an unexpected surprise.

Steve has a good point about the crowd being quiet. This has never been the case in the past but this season for some reason riders are going straight back to the pits rather than back past the stand, it leaves the supporters extremely frustrated that they cannot show their appreciation of the racing & it leaves to (as Steve said) tepid hand clapping. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BEATTHEBOOKIEBOB said:

Deontay Wilder? :D

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Lined up for the impending new rider at Kent and a big hitter at that...

Regards 

THJ

Jason Garrity on loan from HMP Durham:P

• Haha 2