British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Kent v Poole 27/7/21 6.30pm

3 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

I am actually the centre green presenter at Kent, although due to local covid restrictions we are very limited to what we can do.  This season has been limited to a pre match coin toss, and post match interviews.

In the past we have done interviews during the meeting but as you ve heard yourself the sound system is not the best. And its pretty pointless interviewing anyone whilst tractors are out as well.

As for Glenn in the box, (when you are stood somewhere you can hear clearly...) there aren't many people better at getting all the relevant info out there, whilst dealing with all the refs commands as Glenn (and indeed his mentor Derek).  I think people would genuinely be shocked at how much goes on in the box, frankly anyone who does that job has my undivided respect.

Its fair to say the quality of the sound system has been a thorn in the side of the speedway since day 1, but i do know they ve had various sound engineers in over the years. So whilst there has only been minor improvements, that isn't through the lack of trying.

I don't know for certain, but knowing we have a very tight curfew due to noise concerns from a couple of the neighbours, I imagine that has prevented them just plonking a couple of huge speakers on the greyhound track. 

Really great to read your various posts on the meeting and the stadium. I will share them with the club management, as when someone highlights all the positives that are happening you'd like to think they will take on board the constructive criticisms as well as the compliments.

As for the crowd being quiet, despite air horns and the like being banned, I ve never heard us described as being quiet before. But I speak to many of my mates and many are still in awe of the speed, skill, and ruthlessness the step up in leagues has provided. 

Many fans are still getting their heads around the fact that the Poole Pirates are actually at Central Park. 

Nice to see soo many Poole fans, and getting to interview Midlo was an unexpected surprise.

Thanks for the info. Hope you can get out there and do your job again soon. As for the PA, it really would be worth investing in a couple of decent speakers facing the grandstand. Not hugely expensive and would make things so much better. Sorry I had a go at the announcer but a muffled voice in the background is extremely poor and it needs fixing properly, not just tweaking to make it clearer. Worth doing.

Paul Hurry has been a good servant to British Speedway but his time was up. Bring in a youngster who would do no worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

Paul Hurry has today announced his retirement from speedway.

Where did that news come from ?  I have seen nothing of it.  Is it true ?  Sad day for me if it is. Always one of my favourites and a very

brave racer, overcoming the most serious of injuries.

19 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Thanks for the info. Hope you can get out there and do your job again soon. As for the PA, it really would be worth investing in a couple of decent speakers facing the grandstand. Not hugely expensive and would make things so much better. Sorry I had a go at the announcer but a muffled voice in the background is extremely poor and it needs fixing properly, not just tweaking to make it clearer. Worth doing.

Nothing to appologise for, everyone pays thier money and is entitled to thier opinion. When I ve criticised things in the past I ve been far less eloquent and balanced...

13 hours ago, chris4gillian said:

Paul Hurry has today announced his retirement from speedway.

That is the right decision for him and the team.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Crusader said:

That is the right decision for him and the team.

Yeah you could actually field a real strong team now with a fair few points to play with 

14 minutes ago, Ryan555 said:

Yeah you could actually field a real strong team now with a fair few points to play with 

We are supposed to be getting a heat leader to replace Tom at last. Hopefully one of the riders in the Royals will be given a chance now which won't make us real strong but heading in the right direction.

6 minutes ago, Old Crusader said:

We are supposed to be getting a heat leader to replace Tom at last. Hopefully one of the riders in the Royals will be given a chance now which won't make us real strong but heading in the right direction.

Yeah Ryan Kinsley deserves the chance so much would be best to keep Mulford for next year in my opinion let me him develop a bit more 

11 hours ago, teaboy279 said:

He announced it on his personal Facebook account.

Thank you Teaboy.  As always you seem to have your ear to the ground and know what is going on.  I think Paul has made the right choice

although I am sad about it and will miss him.  He has suffered so many very serious injuries yet continues as a star performer on Grass.

He has the heart of a Lion.  Big question now is who will come in ? Must be a European as there are no Brits available that I know of.  That

will make life difficult with the travel and Covid problems.

Nicki Pederson and Kinsley/mulford would be awesome.... :) 

28 minutes ago, teaboy279 said:

Nicki Pederson and Kinsley/mulford would be awesome.... :) 

His old bikes are already over here and its safe to say that Nicki would definitely tempt me back!

1 hour ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Batch and Kinsley?

Sounds pretty good that