British Speedway Forum
Shaleshifter

Poole Pirates Vs Leicester Lions 28/07/21

25 minutes ago, mikebv said:

My son in law said that he wants to go again and said "I think I could get into this more when I understand the rules"...

I quickly explained to him that Steve Worrall (who took his eye as "being good"), was Belle Vue's captain, Rory Schlein is Leicester's Nick Morris and Ryan Douglas' team mate at Wolves, and that Schlein will rode for Ipswich tonight because one of their riders is injured..

I then told him that Kyle Howarth rides for Sheffield, Hans Anderson rides for Peterborough and Danny King rides for Ipswich...

As his eyes glazed over whilst taking it all in I just said..

"Best bet Jake, is to very much NOT bother trying to understand the rules and just enjoy the racing"...:D

Taking him to watch Ipswich at the NSS next week...

thats the way i see it these days as well 

• Like 1

Yes, sometimes you are better off not knowing too many of the rules! 

Edit- as well as Leicester fans I did see a Coventry one. Which is good to see they are still getting their speedway fix with other midland teams to support til they get sorted again. 

Edited by lisa-colette
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Just got back. Great to see things looking like normal. Good crowd, great atmosphere and a Dominant Pirates win over the favourites for the league title. Don’t somehow think Leicester wil be choosing us if they finish top and have the choice. (Should we make top 4)

A 40 mile an hour wind all day did it’s best to ruin the track surface but the track staff put plenty of water down to keep the dust away until the final couple of races.

Poole heat leaders far too dominant and the only heat advantage for the lions was in heat 14 when Neilsen fell on bend two, gifting a 2-4. Other than that it was damage limitation all the way but in truth Leicester were no threat and never close to challenging for a losers point.

For Poole Schlein was excellent.
Kemp took a surprise heat win.

Worrall was excellent until heat 15 when missing the start in slick, dry conditions.

Neilsen was solid and dropped 2 points with a silly fall.

King was excellent and had a couple of very tough battles with Hans. Rider of the night.

Wright did much better than yesterday.

Hume battled but had a fall in his last by the starting gate trying to make a pass with his bike somersaulting over the finish line. Got up a bit sore but bike a bit bent.

For Leicester Hans came alive and the bit between his teeth in the second half of the meeting.

Dan Thompson didn’t really do much.

Neither did Nick Morris to be honest. Not close to winning a race. Gated in one and S Glenn went past him on the back straight like he was standing still.

Howarth battled and gated in heat 14 to win it.

Douglas gated and was Gone or missed it and ran two lasts.

Kennedy did ok but was a bit wobbly. Hard coming in mid season.

Joe Thompson found it too much for the lad. Better days ahead I am sure.

Well done to the handful of Lions fans who made the trip down to Wimborne Road. I hope they enjoyed the meeting even though they lost. On another not the music after each race is much improved and gets the crowd going. Keep it up.  Danny Ford said after the meeting there should be an announcement on the number two in the next week or so, but they are not going to say who it is until it’s all a definite and the rider can take his place. No idea who it is.

Next stop is Scunthorpe on Friday. A very tough fixture for the depleted Pirates but they will give it their best shot.

Pirates remain in 6th place, one point behind Leicester with 3 meetings in hand.

Top 6 for the play-offs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

Top 6 for the play-offs.

I've heard top 4 & top 6, speedwayGB site has mention of how many teams qualify for Champ play-offs (but does for Prem)

Was the same as Saturday.  Lions outgated for most of the evening. Only 3 race wins and only one lucky heat advantage says it all.

4 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I've heard top 4 & top 6, speedwayGB site has mention of how many teams qualify for Champ play-offs (but does for Prem)

Well Matt Ford certainly understands its top 6!

5 hours ago, mac101 said:

it’s defo the top 6 

6 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

Well Matt Ford certainly understands its top 6!

How will top 6 work? 2 groups of 3 i.e mini leagues or top 2 straight to semi and the others in quarters?

7 hours ago, eric i said:

How will top 6 work? 2 groups of 3 i.e mini leagues or top 2 straight to semi and the others in quarters?

Top 2 go through to semi final, other 4 compete for last 2 places, top of league get choice of who they want in semi final

• Like 2