British Speedway Forum
Puma23

Where was speedway

MOLDAVIA !

Moldavian Motorcycle Fedaration have reloaded speedway in capital city in Moldavia.

They plan start 2 ukarainian riders with moldavian speedway licence first in Individual European Championship and second in Individual European Junior Championship.

I don't think there have ever been any speedway tracks in Switzerland. I think most forms of motorsport have been banned there since the 1950s, and the speedway riders all ride in Germany.

Fairly irrelevant to the discussion, but the lower house of the Swiss parliament actually voted last month to remove the law that bans motorsport in that country. (the ban was introduced after spectators were killed when a car went into the crowd in 1955 Le Mans race)

I'm not actually sure whether speedway is covered by this ban as Supercross, another stadium based motorcycle sport, does take place in the Country.

Estonia

Estonia would like reload speedway in Tabasalu next year !!

SWITZERLAND

Speedway tracks have never been in Switzerland but I know that switzerlandian riders rode in Germany.

The Swiss might not have any speedway tracks, but they have an Ice speedway track in Flims, where they stage an annual meeting which runs over two days.

True their riders in conventional speedway and long track race in Germany, but the Swiss are relaxing motor sport rules in their country as they hope to stage a round of the World Trials Championship

I believe they banned motorsport after a series of Fatal accidents many years ago, but are starting to change their opinions

Switzerland DID stage speedway racing in the late 40's - see Brian Collins' excellent website for details of a Test match held at Zurich! They also had an annual grass track meeting in the 80's and 90's and of course a world longtrack champion in Marcel Gerhard!

I guess the list of country's with any involvement in speedway is very much complete as it is here, even including such obscure nations as Ethiopia or Fiji as the birthplace of a couple of riders.

In addition to this I remember that at a world ice racing meeting at Inzell in Germany about ten years ago there was a rider from GREECE, which is one other nation that has not yet been mentioned here. I can't remember his name, though, and I think after only a couple of seasons he retired from ice racing.

Malta, though, would not only feature as the birthplace of Mark Loram, for there was speedway (of a sort) organised by the British Military, much the same as in Egypt, Germany and Italy, in the immediate post-war years. And if I remember it correctly, there had been other places, too, were the British soldiers organised their track racing, such as Aden and Palestine, possibly Cyprus as well.

Up through the years there were a number of proposals to introduce speedway racing in some rather exotic places. For example promoter Trevor Redmond DID introduce stock car racing in Jamaica and as he was of course first and foremost a speedway man, looked into the possiblity to let the bikes take to the track there as well. They never did, though. Plans were also afoot to let the solos race in Panama, sometime in the early 70's, but that too never happened. Mexico did happen, though, with a little help from the USA.

In South America the sport flirted for a very short time in Venezuela 1959/60 and Brasil around 1980. Uruguay had seen speedway racing in the 1930's and again shortly after the war in the late 40's/early 50's, with the riders coming over from across the Rio De La Plata from the Argentinian capital Buenos Aires. Argentina itself is the only place in Latin America were the sport really took a hold and has survived since the early 1930's up to this day. Chile I guess did never have speedway, it may have been considered, but I am not aware of any tracks or riders there.

There's more to think of in Africa and Asia. Does anybody know more about the history of speedway in Singapore?

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2005 at 5:29 PM, Bavarian said:

Switzerland DID stage speedway racing in the late 40's - see Brian Collins' excellent website for details of a Test match held at Zurich! They also had an annual grass track meeting in the 80's and 90's and of course a world longtrack champion in Marcel Gerhard!

There's more to think of in Africa and Asia. Does anybody know more about the history of speedway in Singapore?

Can't really help much,but.......there was an announcement in the Hamburg press(December 1932) that a group of Englishmen would run the Lokstedt track in 1933 under the experienced Australian promoter A.J.Reynolds.It was stated he had started a number of tracks in his homeland as well as in 1930 a track in Singapore !!! His experience didn't help the Hamburg track much I guess  

Reynolds, who was from Western Australia, did not have much success as a speedway promoter. His Singapure Speedway venture did not last long as he ran out of money after a couple of months in May/June of 1930. It was much the same story when, together with Max Grosskreutz, he re-opened the Hamburg DT in the spring of 1933.