British Speedway Forum
Puma23

Where was speedway

On speedwaybikes.com under retired riders/Sonny Nutter: "He was captain of a US team that raced against the top Europeans in Israel"

Syria :)

Rider Hubman from Syria :)

1933 - Myslowice - POLAND - june

International meeting

1.Nils Sorensen (Denmark)

2.Hubman (Syria)

3.Leopold Killmeyer (Austria)

:)

Grachan

Hideaki Ota

Look: http://www.speedwaybikes.com/rw/uhide_o.htm

Crikey!! He looks like my Mother-in-law! Scary.

Steve

When and where was born Graham Warren ??

Steve

When and where was born Graham Warren ??

He was born in Fiji around 1923, he joined the Australian Air Force as a despatch rider during the 2nd World War.

And started speedway when the war ended.

He came to Britain in 1948, joining Cradley. He was too good for that League(Div.3) and switched to Birmingham(Div.2).

He scored 25 maximums that year to help Birmingham get promoted to Division 1.

He rode in the first post-war World Final in '49 and made the rostrum in '50. He rode for Australia many times, with great success.

A crash in New Zealand, where he broke his skull, didn't end his career but it ruined any chance he had of improving further.

A very popular rider who almost certainly never rode in Fiji, but he was definitely born there.

I hope that will do ! B)

I used to have a programme in my collection from Noumea in New Caledonia. The meeting was in 1970 with riders being imported from either Australia or New Zealand. I vaguely recall Englishman, Tommy Sweetman, rode there.

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, has had two tracks. Granville operated between 1971 and 1978; Moitaka, circa April 1979. [info: Luke]

Manilla on the Phillipines had a least one meeting circa 1975. [info: Luke]

I have a copy of a list of speedway tracks by country, which was originally put together by Dirk Riemann with many additions by Duncan Luke from Ontario.

Found some results from Israel 1976

Tel Aviv

USA 30 Rest of World 42

Bethsheba

USA 34 RoW 38

Tel Aviv

USA 37 RoW 35

Tel Aviv

USA 37 RoW 34

Tel Aviv

USA 35 RoW37

Israeli Open Championship

1st semi Fundin,O.Berg,M.Curoso,F.Shuter

2nd semi Penhall,B.Larsson,S.Nutter,Briggs(ef)

Final Berg,Fundin,Penhall,Larsson

Iris

Do you have more results from Israel ??

Havent found any yet.Just have the scorers and the story from "Barry Briggs Speedway World" which was a special magazine published by the Motorcycle News with pictures of the tour :D

There was also speedway in Lesotholand :blink: As some of the South African riders are mentioned as riding there

Edited by iris123

Iris

Where is Lesotholand ?? :blink:

Down by/in South Africa :unsure: Not Exactly sure without a map,might be a free state within the South African border.Maybe someone knows better

Thx Iris

I know Lesotho but I do not know Lesotholand.

Lesotho is in Africa.

Do you have something results from UEA and Egypt or Kuweit (I know that british riders rode there in 70') ?

I create history of speedway with my polish friends and I look for exotic results.

Best Wishes

Edited by Puma23

As well as Paris, Canada has another track in Ontario at Welland (Niagara Speedway) and one at St Alex in Quebec.

Speedway races may also be part of the programme of events at Coaticook (July 24th) and Leamington (10th July and 14th August), both of which are short track venues.

The 2004 East Coast Speedway Series will be held at at five venues, Paris, Welland and St Alex in Canada, plus Jolly Roger at East Lempster (New Hampshire) and the Square Deal Riders track at Harpursville (New York State).

Other tracks in New York State can be found at Owego (Champion Speedway) and at Greene (Action Park East). The promotor at both these tracks, Jason Bonsignore, has plans to open a third track at Rochester.

In the Mid-West, Indianapolis will be running in 2004 and it is hoped the annual speedway meeting will again be staged at the nearby Lawrenceburg track.

Across in Northern California, Chowchilla, a new track at Winchester and the long established Auburn will be running, as will Costa Mesa in the south.

[With thanks to Duncan Luke for this information]

There was also speedway for a short period in Turkey.Think they showed a pairs meeting from Yugoslavia on t.v which started interest for a while in the late 70`s.Turkish champ was Fastih Engin and runner up was Terin Avtahim ;)

Iris

Who is Fastih Engin ? Is true that he was Turkish champion ?