Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Puma23

Where was speedway

I am as sure as I can be that there was a speedway troupe that went to Spain some years ago and ran a couple of indoor meetings , I believe in Barcelona.

I am also sure that either John Louis or Chris Louis was involved. Like I said, not sure when it took place, but am certain that it did. Just remembered, I think Barry Briggs organised it.

Iris

Who is Fastih Engin ? Is true that he was Turkish champion ?

No its not true ;)

They did show a meeting on Turkish tv in about 77 :unsure: Think it was World Best Pairs from Yugo :unsure: But dont know if it started any interest in Turkey

Speedway in Singapore !!

Yes, I found results from Singapore :)

10 June 1930

"Borneo"

1.George Gregor (Wales)

2.Jack Sharp (Australia)

Also was riding:

Lon Seng Soon

Soh Prasong

Iteppo Wahld

Pang S. Pang

O. Chla Tong

Cho Jolly

Charlie Datson

Speedway was also in China and Malaysia in 1930 but I do not have anymore information :(

Turkey and Portugal ??

Poilsh activists a tring for construction of a race track in ankara, the project was portugalapprove but there are no funds like !!!

Quite a large number of Countries in the list, speedway has certainly made its mark worldwide.

Only 2 Countries I can think of that are not in the list:

1, Spain, I believe 250cc machines were raced around tracks in the early 1970's, and Barry Briggs ran an exhibition indoor dirt meeting in Spain around 1996 with Paul Hurry, Scott Nicholls, Brian Anderson and Tony Briggs I think the 4 riders involved.

2, Alaska, (Not a Country I know but a far flung part of the USA). The USA based World Indoor Ice Speedway Championships have held meetings in Alaska with I recall an Alaskan native taking part.

Be interested to know exactly how many spedway tracks their have been in this Country. I doubt if anyone would know the exact amount.

3 very obscure ones I know of are Holbeach in Lincolnshire who ran non League just after the 2nd World War and I think were called the Poppies!

Bradwell near Great Yarmouth (bring back the Bloaters in the Conference League at Caister Rd Stadium - I'm sure the venture would do well) ran open meetings in the early 1930's and Pakefield near Lowestoft ran as Lowestoft in the 1930's. The Norwich promotion I believe relocated to Pakefield, but I can't be sure on thst one as even I don't go back that far, though I'm old enough to recall how well supported Norwich Stars speedway was at the old Firs Stadium. How suitable would the Firs Satdium of been today if it had been kept away from developers being virtually next door to the now rapidly expanding Airport, no noise arguements there surely? - Something we'll never know. - Again Norwich Speedway reopening could be sucessfull if it ever happens.

Think you`ll find Spain at no18 on the list

Grass track meeting was in Luxemburg in 70's.

Speedway was in New Caledonia but I seem it was speedway car in 50's.

Guest Steve Dixon

From what i can remember, Speedway was tried in Spain in the 70's at a place called Son Pardo.

To Steve Dixon

Do you have more information about speedway in Spain ?

Who, where, when ?

Guest Steve Dixon

Sorry i don't, I can just remember the place they had it, there was a ex BL rider involve but can't remember who.

Think there is already something about Son Pardo on here.Was started by Ian Hoskins,son of Johnnie Hoskins in early 70`s .Seem to remember Reg Luckhurst being a regular and Marshall Pugh.Have a badge from the track,was on Mallorca.Maybe for Brits on holiday?

Speedway in Chile

The 1992 Loader's Annual (it is Australian book)

Argentinian star Luis Vallejos says that

speedway is alive and well in Chile, and organisers

are hoping to stage rounds of the South American

championship in 1992.

:)

6)Bulgaria (were more riders, now is only Georgi Petranow who have ridden in second polish league, Now any speedway tracks in Bulgaria)

The tracks at Sofia and Targovishte are apparently still operating.

14)Estonia (were some tracks, NOW ???, one rider: Markus Mandre)

Were there ever any tracks in Estonia, or did the riders compete in Latvia and Russia?

21)Japan (80'=10 riders, Now 2 riders who have ridden in USA)

I'm not sure you can really say there are any speedway tracks in Japan. Autoracing is really a different sport.

39)Switzerland (were 10 riders, Now german Sirg Schuetzbach)

I don't think there have ever been any speedway tracks in Switzerland. I think most forms of motorsport have been banned there since the 1950s, and the speedway riders all ride in Germany.

Do you know more speedway countries ?

All the tracks that are operating or believed to be operating are listed at http://www.speedway-faq.org/tracks.html

In some cases, riders represent countries that don't actually have speedway tracks. Similarly, some countries have speedway tracks, but no riders (e.g. Belgium).

Edited by Kevin Meynell

To Kevin

BULGARIA

I told with president of Bulgarian Motorcycle Federadion (Bogdan Nikolov) and he said that speedway did not operate in Bulgaria since 1996.

I know that speedway tracks were in Pleven, Shumen, Sofia, Lovech, Veliko Tarnovo, Targovishte, Polvdiv and others cities.

ESTONIA

I got emial from Estonia Motorcycle Federation and they said that national championships were to 1998. Last Estonian champion was Ken Viidas (SK Ranna Speedway). Speedway tracks were in Tallin, Kohtla Nymme, Kalev, Tabasalu and maybe others cities.

JAPAN

I know that Japan Championship was in 1936 when won Putt Mossman from USA.

I do not know whether speedway tracks were in 80' but I know that were speedway riders from Japan.

SWITZERLAND

Speedway tracks have never been in Switzerland but I know that switzerlandian riders rode in Germany.