British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Sandcastles and Redcoats

12 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Had a family holiday at Margate (Cliftonville to be exact) during the World Cup in 1970. Remember attempting to watch some of the games in the guest house we were staying at on a TV where the picture kept revolving!

We were at Maddieson's while that was on! 1970 was the first year of self-catering, and there were six chalets right on the bowling green. They were the only ones in the camp with a telly. Other than that, you had the two TV rooms in the main building - one was BBC, and one was ITV.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chunky said:

There was never anything at Dungeness; a couple of lighthouses, the power station, and The Pilot... 

I see that Yarmouth is making a comeback.

You mean Great Yarmouth!? Was there last year for work, getting the train to Norwich. The passengers alighting looked like extras from the film the Living Dead! The female taxi driver was a miserable sod, understandable if you live and work there I suppose!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

You mean Great Yarmouth!? Was there last year for work, getting the train to Norwich. The passengers alighting looked like extras from the film the Living Dead! The female taxi driver was a miserable sod, understandable if you live and work there I suppose!

Yeah, I was reading about it online a couple of weeks ago; they are trying to get it back to its "glory days".

You sure it's not YOU that are the miserable sod? :rofl:

Edited by chunky

Just now, chunky said:

Yeah, I was reading about it online a couple of weeks ago; they are trying to get it back to its "glory days".

You sure it's not YOU that are the miserable sod? :rofl:

:Dthey should try harder. Staying 6 miles away on the Broads in 3 weeks. May have a look to see if has improved since last year.:D

1 minute ago, auntie doris said:

:Dthey should try harder. Staying 6 miles away on the Broads in 3 weeks. May have a look to see if has improved since last year.:D

You know, when I think of all the fabulous seaside resorts that were around when I were a lad, everywhere seems to have taken a nosedive. Everywhere just seems so run down and dirty...

1 minute ago, chunky said:

You know, when I think of all the fabulous seaside resorts that were around when I were a lad, everywhere seems to have taken a nosedive. Everywhere just seems so run down and dirty...

True, but I find the bigger, popular touristy places, such as Poole and Bournemouth, Weymouth, Brighton, St.Ives, Newquay, Torbay, Dartmouth, etc., have more money to invest in decent facilities.

My first family holiday was at Butlin's Clacton when I was three years old. We returned for the next five years (making six years there altogether), which began my love affair with Clacton. I have now lived here for the last 42 years and I still love it.

Following Clacton we went to a few Warner's camps at Corton, Puckpool and Seaton. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, norbold said:

My first family holiday was at Butlin's Clacton when I was three years old. We returned for the next five years (making six years there altogether), which began my love affair with Clacton. I have now lived here for the last 42 years and I still love it.

Following Clacton we went to a few Warner's camps at Corton, Puckpool and Seaton. 

Puckpool/ St. Clare was a derelict site when I was there a few years ago, although the chalets were still there.. Seaton is now Tesco supermarket.Jaywick seemed posh in 1966, compared to New Cross anyway!

Warners has gone upmarket, into hotels, the Littlecote House Hotel, near Swindon, is very nice. Haven't stayed there but they do a great ploughmans lunch, afternoon tea, and good walks on the estate.

Edited by auntie doris

24 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

Last visited Great Yarmouth a couple of years ago when holidaying in Suffolk. Okay but nothing special although there was some work being done on the sea front. Popped over to Morecambe last week...the town is dire but the promenade is an enjoyable stroll taking in the Eric Morecambe statue looking over the bay towards Barrow-in-Furness! Took tea at the Midland Hotel. Beautiful Art Deco structure!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grachan said:

When I was a kid my best mate always used to go to Butlin's on holiday. I was always dragged off on horrible caravan holidays that I hated. I was o jealous.

One year we went to a caravan park in Watchet and could look across the water and see the lights of Barry Island Butlin's glowing across the water. I so wanted to go, so my parents took us on a day outing to Minehead Butlin's. It felt like the greatest place on Earth!

So how many camps did Butlins have and also how many hotels

Would love to do a Bill Bryson, and write a travelblog when I retire, Tales From A Small Island style:D

• Like 1

I stayed at Butlins Mosney, County Meath one night. And had a week at Butlins Skegness

As a kid, I never went to a holiday camp but many years later when I was working as a teacher, the powers that be decided that the last week of the academic year should be an activities week. I was persuaded to help accompany a party of first years to stay in what I was told was aconverted manor house in the heart of the Lake District. Sounded good to me, so I signed up. Off we set from London with some congenial colleagues and some not so congenial pupils. We toiled up the motorway and then turned west just after Lancaster, which seemed to me to be a bit too far south for the Lakes. Eventually, what appeared to be a ship came into view. On closer inspection, it was revealed to be ship-like, in fact the entertainment centre of a Pontin's holiday camp. God knows what happened to the converted manor house, but it was conspicuous by its absence. By now it was getting quite dark so we got the kids settled in and had a look around the place. It was blowing a gale straight off the Irish Sea and there was a strange sort of glow which I resolved to investigate in the morning. This mystery was resolved in the morning when it was clear that the nearest large buiding was the local nuclear power station. The other thing hat impressed itself on my senses was stale smell of bread being fried for the full English. I've never been able to look at fried bread since. I think we were there 3 days and that put me off holiday camps for life. A few years later there was one of the periodical crackdowns on crime and the government were contemplating where to put the overflow of prisoners. By this time the holiday camp had closed down and it was suggested it be used as a prison. The proposal was rejected as the standard of the buildings was not considered good enough.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I stayed at Butlins Mosney, County Meath one night. And had a week at Butlins Skegness

My neighbour went to Butlins Skeggy, a couple of weeks ago and him and his wife have gone down with Covid and double jabbed!

3 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

My neighbour went to Butlins Skeggy, a couple of weeks ago and him and his wife have gone down with Covid and double jabbed!

Nothing to do with me. I was there around 1974-5, so any virus I left is long dead

• Haha 1