Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

Sandcastles and Redcoats

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

So how many camps did Butlins have and also how many hotels

Butlin's had/have camps at Skegness, Clacton, Filey, Pwllheli, Ayr, Mosney, Barry Island, Bognor, Minehead and the Bahamas.

Hotels at Ayr, Bognor (3 hotels), Borehamwood, Blackpool, Cliftonville, Llandudno, Saltdean, Scarborough, Skegness, Torremolinos and Bayswater.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, E I Addio said:

You can add Ilfracombe to that list . We went there one evening while on hols a few years ago, and didn’t even bother to get out the car, it was so bad. It was as if someone had picked up a lump of Manchester and dumped in on the coast.

I'd imagine you haven't been there for a while, as I thought it was actually quite a pleasant town even it it is in Devon. Another one that exceeded expectations was Morecambe, which I'd heard was a run-down dump (and overlooked by a nuclear power station), but actually seemed to be quite nice in a modest way. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

I'd imagine you haven't been there for a while, as I thought it was actually quite a pleasant town even it it is in Devon. Another one that exceeded expectations was Morecambe, which I'd heard was a run-down dump (and overlooked by a nuclear power station), but actually seemed to be quite nice in a modest way. 

I recently visited and the town is dump from what I could see but the sea front offered a respite! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, auntie doris said:

Stayed at an hotel there, the last entry in the visitors book was, " this place is a stain on the wonderful town". It closed soon after.

Reminds me of the classic lines in Fawlty Towers :

American tourist ; “ This is the worst hotel in the whole of Western Europe !” 

The Major ; “ Nooo, I’m not having that. There’s a place at Eastbourne...........”

:D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, chunky said:

Yeah, some great engines there. It's been years since I've been the area, but I keep promising myself that on a future trip back, I'm going to do the full run. Remember, we had a stop at Maddieson's...

I think Maddison’s is called something else now. I did a couple of driver experiences there.  It’s a fantastic feeling working up to full speed between Dymchurch and Hythe. You get to the speed where the fire is burning white hot , the heat coming from it is incredible , there’s a cold wind blowing down your back, all the mechanical noises have merged into one and it’s one of the most fantastic feelings imaginable.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

I think Maddison’s is called something else now. I did a couple of driver experiences there.  It’s a fantastic feeling working up to full speed between Dymchurch and Hythe. You get to the speed where the fire is burning white hot , the heat coming from it is incredible , there’s a cold wind blowing down your back, all the mechanical noises have merged into one and it’s one of the most fantastic feelings imaginable.

Oh yeah; as I said, it's changed hands several times. It was bought out by Warner's in the early 80's, and I know it's now called Romney Sands Holiday Village. It's a caravan park, and covers a much bigger area than Maddieson's. They knocked down the main building (ballroom, dining room, amusements etc) years ago.

I'd love to drive one of those!

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, steve roberts said:

Last visited Great Yarmouth a couple of years ago when holidaying in Suffolk. Okay but nothing special although there was some work being done on the sea front. Popped over to Morecambe last week...the town is dire but the promenade is an enjoyable stroll taking in the Eric Morecambe statue looking over the bay towards Barrow-in-Furness! Took tea at the Midland Hotel. Beautiful Art Deco structure!

Great Yarmouth: 'This town got stuck in time but now I'm loving it' - BBC News

Funnily enough we had a walk along the prom at Morecambe last week as well! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, E I Addio said:

Reminds me of the classic lines in Fawlty Towers :

American tourist ; “ This is the worst hotel in the whole of Western Europe !” 

The Major ; “ Nooo, I’m not having that. There’s a place at Eastbourne...........”

:D

We didn't expect to see herds of wildebeest wandering majestically, the hanging gardens of Babylon, or Sydney opera house, from an Ilfracombe hotel window, but this Ms.Fawlty didn't know the meaning of the word hospitality..hence it closed soon after!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Always enjoyed my day trips and one holiday to Southsea...always something to see on the sea with the IOW hovercraft and ferries and cross channel ferries and the occasional naval frigate and/or submarine. Unlike at Scarbrough (now there's another dire place) where looking out to sea you see nothing!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Always enjoyed my day trips and one holiday to Southsea...always something to see on the sea with the IOW hovercraft and ferries and cross channel ferries and the occasional naval frigate and/or submarine. Unlike at Scarbrough (now there's another dire place) where looking out to sea you see nothing!

I like the waterfront at Pompey, Gunwharf Quays, the Spinnaker Tower, and historical Royal Naval Dockyard, Gosport submarine museum, a good day out.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, auntie doris said:

I like the waterfront at Pompey, Gunwharf Quays, the Spinnaker Tower, and historical Royal Naval Dockyard, Gosport submarine museum, a good day out.

...and Spice Island!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, steve roberts said:

...and Spice Island!

My mums school mate married a guy in the Navy and as a kid we used to visit them in Portsmouth. I thought it fantastic that at the end of their road they had the sea. We used to collect winkles etc

And the hovercraft was fascinating 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

My mums school mate married a guy in the Navy and as a kid we used to visit them in Portsmouth. I thought it fantastic that at the end of their road they had the sea. We used to collect winkles etc

And the hovercraft was fascinating 

I spend many happy times at Southsea and trips to the IOW on daily excursions from Clarence Pier only added to the excitement!

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

I spend many happy times at Southsea and trips to the IOW on daily excursions from Clarence Pier only added to the excitement!

I always remember on the approach the crescent moon symbol at the side of the main road

Plus, we would always stop at a Caff in Petersfield where they had a few donkeys. One of the highlights for me 

Edited by iris123

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, iris123 said:

I always remember on the approach the crescent moon symbol at the side of the main road

Plus, we would always stop at a Caff in Petersfield where they had a few donkeys. One of the highlights for me 

Know Petersfield very well. Used to travel down from Oxford via Cliddesden ("Oh! Mr Porter" country), Selborne (Gilbert White) and thru' Petersfied (I had an ancester who was vicar there years ago!) and eventually Southsea...Great memories!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy