British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petecc

Birmingham v Plymouth

BIRMINGHAM: Chris Harris, Valentin Grobauer, James Shanes, Ashley Morris, Erik Riss, Paco Castagna, Jack Thomas.

PLYMOUTH: Adam Ellis, Dillon Ruml, Zach Cook, Zane Keleher, Bjarne Pedersen, Alfie Bowtell, Jack Smith.

BIRMINGHAM Speedway have reluctantly made an early decision to postpone tonight’s Championship meeting with Plymouth.

39 minutes ago, Osirian08 said:

The comment about an update on the club's future sounds ominous :(

Got to feel for them. Where I am about 30 mins away been some showers but nothing torrential. 

They've been waiting for walk up but speedway fans are a fickle lot when there's a cloud in the sky. 

Probably can't afford another sub par crowd. 

At this late stage possibly incurred some costs already from tonight. 

Prayer mat out. 

15 minutes ago, HGould said:

Got to feel for them. Where I am about 30 mins away been some showers but nothing torrential. 

They've been waiting for walk up but speedway fans are a fickle lot when there's a cloud in the sky. 

Probably can't afford another sub par crowd. 

At this late stage possibly incurred some costs already from tonight. 

Prayer mat out. 

Hate to say it but if there was only 500-600 last match nobody can survive, let alone birmingham with a huge rent

4 minutes ago, ruckerroo said:

Hate to say it but if there was only 500-600 last match nobody can survive, let alone birmingham with a huge rent

I'd say they had a lot less that 600 there last week! Absolute max would be 400.

They've now got an away meeting at Edinburgh on Friday to pay out too, not looking good!

I fear that we may have seen the last of Birmingham . They have an expensive team with poor crowds .

I will be gutted to lose them & lose a saturday night meeting at Leicester this week.

Birmingham fans dont like to see a struggling team, and stay away rather than turn up to watch, I hope the rumours are unfounded but its been a struggle for them since Covid and the vandalism hasnt helped. They would have been better off dropping back down into the NL but that wasnt possible with the way the NL had been dictated to with regard points limits of 35 which was much to low for stand alone teams, but thats what the BSPL in there wisdom wanted.

Edited by heathen52

5 hours ago, Osirian08 said:

The comment about an update on the club's future sounds ominous :(

Investors ?.

BIRMINGHAM co-owner David Mason has warned next Wednesday’s Perry Barr clash is make-or-break for the future of the club.

Mason has revealed the club are on the brink after a series of shocking attendances since the relaunch of the sport in May.

They have been suffering heavy financial losses and if fans don’t return in bigger numbers it will spell the end of the club unless any financial help comes forward.

He said: “If the fans don’t turn out next Wednesday, we may have to shut the doors!

“The restrictions have dramatically effected the finances of the business and we are losing significant amounts money every time we open our doors.

“Next Wednesday is one last chance for the people of Birmingham and surrounding areas to show they want speedway at Perry Barr.

“Kent include the legendary Scott Nicholls and there are suggestions of a new signing heading their way too.

“We thank our hardcore supporters who have turned out every week to support the club but we need you to get behind us and even if that means bringing relatives or friends next week.

“My focus will be more on whether we can sustain this business rather than the performance of the team which is very good. We now have cash admission on the night back for fans and there really is no excuse from here.”

6 minutes ago, MattB said:

BIRMINGHAM co-owner David Mason has warned next Wednesday’s Perry Barr clash is make-or-break for the future of the club.

Mason has revealed the club are on the brink after a series of shocking attendances since the relaunch of the sport in May.

They have been suffering heavy financial losses and if fans don’t return in bigger numbers it will spell the end of the club unless any financial help comes forward.

He said: “If the fans don’t turn out next Wednesday, we may have to shut the doors!

“The restrictions have dramatically effected the finances of the business and we are losing significant amounts money every time we open our doors.

“Next Wednesday is one last chance for the people of Birmingham and surrounding areas to show they want speedway at Perry Barr.

“Kent include the legendary Scott Nicholls and there are suggestions of a new signing heading their way too.

“We thank our hardcore supporters who have turned out every week to support the club but we need you to get behind us and even if that means bringing relatives or friends next week.

“My focus will be more on whether we can sustain this business rather than the performance of the team which is very good. We now have cash admission on the night back for fans and there really is no excuse from here.”

Doesn’t sound promising for the long term.While there is no excuse from here,he has to ask where are all these fans,there are just not around anymore.

Are they actually doing any promoting or just threatening fans with closure? Seems to be the same story every week. At least Newcastle can be seen to really be pushing the promoting side!

• Thanks 2