British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Blobby

Edinburgh v Birmingham 30/07/21

I saw Luke ride at Mildenhall I think a few years ago - I was very impressed at the time. 

Might have been his first season in the sport. 

A 30 year old rising star, you couldn't make it up.

That's up there with Bacon and Bates in our league at going against what the Rising Star scheme should be about. Dear me. 

27 minutes ago, Pinny said:

A 30 year old rising star, you couldn't make it up.

You can and the BSPA just did :( 

Think we just need to accept that most rules and common sense has completely gone out of the window now. The rising star scheme had potential to be one of the best things to happen to UK speedway for some time but was poorly written and certain riders were allowed in when they shouldn't have been.

It reminds me of the last time the grading system was brought in and then certain riders, some of who shouldn't of even been graded in the first place, were stopped from riding at reserve.

Does age have to be a factor though? I think Luke is more entitled to be in the rising star category with three years of experience, than Bates or Bacon who had three times that.

The scheme is a good one and is yielding results already - Brennan, Palin, Flint, the Thompsons - all making good progress.

In the early 1970s they didn't really need a rising star scheme because there were more tracks and no foreign riders in the Second Division, but John Louis didn't start until he was nearly 30 and would have been entitled to be a rising star by today's standards. He went on to finish on the rostrum at the World Final.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CountArthur said:

Does age have to be a factor though? I think Luke is more entitled to be in the rising star category with three years of experience, than Bates or Bacon who had three times that.

The scheme is a good one and is yielding results already - Brennan, Palin, Flint, the Thompsons - all making good progress.

In the early 1970s they didn't really need a rising star scheme because there were more tracks and no foreign riders in the Second Division, but John Louis didn't start until he was nearly 30 and would have been entitled to be a rising star by today's standards. He went on to finish on the rostrum at the World Final.

Bacon was a latecomer to the sport too. He shouldn't be placed in the same category as Bates

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

Bacon was a latecomer to the sport too. He shouldn't be placed in the same category as Bates

Tom Bacon started in 2014, Bates in 2012 - but Bates missed a full season through injury, so there's not much in it.

My point was that Luke Crang has only ridden for three years, while Tom Bacon has ridden for six years and Bates for seven (not counting the 2020 season).

6 minutes ago, CountArthur said:

Tom Bacon started in 2014, Bates in 2012 - but Bates missed a full season through injury, so there's not much in it.

My point was that Luke Crang has only ridden for three years, while Tom Bacon has ridden for six years and Bates for seven (not counting the 2020 season).

I'm in total agreement that age shouldn't come into it. There's a lot of good riders in this country that didn't come through the youth system!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CountArthur said:

Rode for Coventry in the NL in 2013

2 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Rode for Coventry in the NL in 2013

Career Record - 2013-15 Coventry (NL),  Redcar 2014, Berwick 2015 - has only ridden for three years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CountArthur said:

I would suggest the likes of Brennan, Palin, Flint etc would of been used as 3.00 reserves regardless of the rising star system.

Just seems farcical to call such a set up "Rising Star's" and then include riders in their late twenties in it. How Josh Bates was ever included in such a list is beyond me. They would of been far better off just insisting each side had to have two British riders at reserve, regardless of their age and save the embarrassment this system has seen so far.

I think that you will find that Luke Crang is not Edinburgh Rising Star.

I would imagine that Nathan Greaves who is on the list will be re-declared Edinburgh's Rising Star rider. 

Luke is on the rising star list is he not? 

Luke Crang is on the list as a 2* Rising Star.

Nathan Greaves is on the list as a 4*, so can't be used as a Rising Star in the Championship.

• Like 1