British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Club Merchandise

34 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But it will be for those clubs that don't have sufficient time, capital and expertise. Hence Neil Watson's comment and the large number of clubs that settle for the Barber's fairly safe and pedestrian offer.

Surely "quality" merchandise is part and parcel of "promotion" these days. It seems to be in most other sports. 

Have "the powers that be" approached a proper clothing manufacturer to produce it? In the same way that they do with the TV deal. It's not like clubs are in competition with each other with merchandise, a Glasgow fan is never going to buy an Edinburgh shirt and vice versa 

Edited by iainb

7 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But it will be for those clubs that don't have sufficient time, capital and expertise. Hence Neil Watson's comment and the large number of clubs that settle for the Barber's fairly safe and pedestrian offer.

Very little time required, no capital or expertise really. Most clubs leave it to the company producing the items ( most good stuff for the GB clubs is produced in Poland ) to design the gear which can be ordered individually and paid for by the pre ordering fan . Just needs one person at the club to co-ordinate the sales and handle the profit margins for said club.

Simples!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Very little time required, no capital or expertise really. Most clubs leave it to the company producing the items ( most good stuff for the GB clubs is produced in Poland ) to design the gear which can be ordered individually and paid for by the pre ordering fan . Just needs one person at the club to co-ordinate the sales and handle the profit margins for said club.

Simples!

A lot of the shirts with any hint of a design are produced by a Polish company called dispeed.

Edited by iainb

I've just had a look at Nottingham Panthers (just picked them at random)  Ice Hockey Web shop as speedway is often compared to Ice Hockey and well... their offerings put speedway to shame. Looked at a couple of others, similar story

I know people with no interest in football that wear city, united leisure wear and the same with other sports because the product is good, if speedway could get this right its certainly another way of getting the clubs name out there.

1 minute ago, bellevueace said:

I know people with no interest in football that wear city, united leisure wear and the same with other sports because the product is good, if speedway could get this right its certainly another way of getting the clubs name out there.

I think you'll find it's too much trouble for lot of clubs

• Like 1

Iainb.......Merchandising is a little more difficult than you think........You use Eastbourne and Plymouth as beacons of brilliance.....I have just looked at The Merchandise.....It is all Clothing.....all of it with superimposed logo on a stock catalogue picture.....Would be interesting to see how many of these items are actually available on race nights for people to feel...try on etc......Race Nights are the bread and Butter of a track shop.......What would you think is the biggest seller in any race night Track Shop......Team Shirts..?...Baseball Caps?.....Polo Shirts ?.....Hoodies ?.........None of the above.....A Pen or a Programme Board is the staple diet of a race night supporter.....A Speedway Track Shop is not just about Clothing......Tonight at Leicester you will see....Hoodie(2 diff).....Race Shirt....Polo Shirt...Jacket....Fleece.....Baseball Cap(2 diff)...Beanie Hats(2 diff).....Baseball Cap(3 diff)...Flag.....Cushion....Mug(3 diff)...Photos over 300 different....12x8 photos,,,,,Pens-logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson......Key Rings...-logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson......Fridge Magnets--logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson....Drinks Coasters.-logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson.........metal key ring.......This years programmes from clubs like...King's Lynn....Ipswich....Peterborough....Edinburgh etc.........Over 300 different Metal Badges from around the country including...Leicester....Kent...Sheffield etc.....A board of 200 badges from years gone by....very collectable.....Stckers....Car Stickers....Programme Boards--logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson....Programme Boards of all 15 Speedway Grand Prix riders......Photos of all Speedway Grand Prix Riders....Sets of Speedway Cards.......Huge collection of different Speedway Books...Air Horns...Refills......Face Masks.....Plus i am sure many other things i have forgotten.....But alas no Underpants...Sorry

57 minutes ago, JIROUT said:

Iainb.......Merchandising is a little more difficult than you think........You use Eastbourne and Plymouth as beacons of brilliance.....I have just looked at The Merchandise.....It is all Clothing.....all of it with superimposed logo on a stock catalogue picture.....Would be interesting to see how many of these items are actually available on race nights for people to feel...try on etc......Race Nights are the bread and Butter of a track shop.......What would you think is the biggest seller in any race night Track Shop......Team Shirts..?...Baseball Caps?.....Polo Shirts ?.....Hoodies ?.........None of the above.....A Pen or a Programme Board is the staple diet of a race night supporter.....A Speedway Track Shop is not just about Clothing......Tonight at Leicester you will see....Hoodie(2 diff).....Race Shirt....Polo Shirt...Jacket....Fleece.....Baseball Cap(2 diff)...Beanie Hats(2 diff).....Baseball Cap(3 diff)...Flag.....Cushion....Mug(3 diff)...Photos over 300 different....12x8 photos,,,,,Pens-logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson......Key Rings...-logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson......Fridge Magnets--logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson....Drinks Coasters.-logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson.........metal key ring.......This years programmes from clubs like...King's Lynn....Ipswich....Peterborough....Edinburgh etc.........Over 300 different Metal Badges from around the country including...Leicester....Kent...Sheffield etc.....A board of 200 badges from years gone by....very collectable.....Stckers....Car Stickers....Programme Boards--logo-team-andersen-kennedy-howarth-douglas-morris-d thompson-j.thompson....Programme Boards of all 15 Speedway Grand Prix riders......Photos of all Speedway Grand Prix Riders....Sets of Speedway Cards.......Huge collection of different Speedway Books...Air Horns...Refills......Face Masks.....Plus i am sure many other things i have forgotten.....But alas no Underpants...Sorry

It'd be interesting to know what the Eastbourne and Plymouth stuff is actually like in reality.

Like I've said in the Leicester thread, good luck to you and your business, but what's in it for the clubs? As some seem to think it's better for them to do it in house while others sub it out. Is it down numbers through the turnstiles?

If you produce a pair of Leicester Lions underpants (Scott Nicholls shirt style) you can put my name down for a pair, cotton boxer shorts please :lol:

I seem to remember a few years back (probably 10 to 15) there used to be a Polish merchandiser who was there at some of the bigger events, Brighton meeting and collector fayres etc. I wonder what their story was. I guess he was trying to cash in on some of the Polish riders appearances in the British League. I seem to remember he had some nice looking stuff

On 7/30/2021 at 1:15 PM, arnieg said:

Arnie....Safe and Pedestrian.....very harsh...What would you like us to stock to make us exciting and vibrant ???

11 minutes ago, JIROUT said:

Arnie....Safe and Pedestrian.....very harsh...What would you like us to stock to make us exciting and vibrant ???

Underpants! :rofl:

How about club fold up chairs? The fold up chair seems to be a staple at most tracks

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

How about club fold up chairs? The fold up chair seems to be a staple at most tracks

I wish i had one at Eastbourne last night. I'm feeling it this morning, after standing up for over 3 hours!

11 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I wish i had one at Eastbourne last night. I'm feeling it this morning, after standing up for over 3 hours!

Sounds like you needed a time machine!