British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Club Merchandise

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

How about club fold up chairs? The fold up chair seems to be a staple at most tracks

If you want a club printed fold up chair....The cheapest i have found are £60 each.....How many want one ...hands up

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

I wish i had one at Eastbourne last night. I'm feeling it this morning, after standing up for over 3 hours!

Just what we need someone who was at Eastbourne last night.......Could you let me know what the Track Shop was like......Did they have all 40 items of clothing on the website out for sale.....If so that is very impressive

1 minute ago, JIROUT said:

Just what we need someone who was at Eastbourne last night.......Could you let me know what the Track Shop was like......Did they have all 40 items of clothing on the website out for sale.....If so that is very impressive

They had very little for sale. Mostly stuff from previous seasons. Next to nothing from this year. No plans to do a Seagulls badge, which is disappointing.

• Sad 1

You would think in this day and age just about every club would have some kind of on line shop. Speedway really does need to be dragged into modern times I think.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, screm said:

You would think in this day and age just about every club would have some kind of on line shop. Speedway really does need to be dragged into modern times I think.

Links are available on all our tracks websites to take you straight to our merchandise website....Ipswich,King's Lynn,Leicester,Kent,Sheffield,Peterborough and Birmingham

5 hours ago, screm said:

With up to date, fashionable merchandise.

Get with the times, as someone said make tracksuits, gym wear, snapback hats etc. Your not going to see youngsters walking round in Wulfsport jackets anymore.

9 hours ago, JIROUT said:

Links are available on all our tracks websites to take you straight to our merchandise website....Ipswich,King's Lynn,Leicester,Kent,Sheffield,Peterborough and Birmingham

Not so sure about Ippo... if there is a link it's not very visible (to me at least)

There's some interesting, and dare I say it, fashionable and funky stuff available from here:

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/?query=speedway&ref=search_box

https://www.redbubble.com/people/Port-Stevens/shop

It's all a bit generic, I don't know who/what redbubble are it looks a bit like a bit of a design marketplace

1 hour ago, iainb said:

There's some interesting, and dare I say it, fashionable and funky stuff available from here:

https://www.redbubble.com/shop/?query=speedway&ref=search_box

https://www.redbubble.com/people/Port-Stevens/shop

It's all a bit generic, I don't know who/what redbubble are it looks a bit like a bit of a design marketplace

Like with everything a lot depends on minimum orders and price......We have had many generic Speedway Hoodies...Polo Shirts etc...However Speedway is very much a team event and similar to Football or Cricket...just generic clothing just does not sell

43 minutes ago, JIROUT said:

Like with everything a lot depends on minimum orders and price......We have had many generic Speedway Hoodies...Polo Shirts etc...However Speedway is very much a team event and similar to Football or Cricket...just generic clothing just does not sell

Yet, there they are, for sale

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Yet, there they are, for sale

Doesn't mean they sell though.  The problem with track shops and indeed all retail, is that people have different tastes. Some prefer all singing all dancing items, other prefer simple looking garments that they can wear out of speedway. We try and cater for both, but never in a million years will we keep everyone happy. At the end of the day, we try and do our very best for all of our clubs, all of which are unique in their own way. We must also remember, that as much as we love what we do and do our very best for each club, we still have to make a profit to continue trading. It is no good us buying loads of expensive items that 2 or 3 people want and then be left with loads that we cannot sell, that is a false economy.  Taking chances on expensive items is a dangerous game to play when you are trying to survive.

Speedway is not like football. Football order items in the 100s and 1000s. We order in the 5's. We have to.  Many clubs have found out to their cost, that merchandise is not the huge money spinner they think it is and have been left with thousands of pounds worth of stock, that I'm quite sure their fans would prefer them to spend on the riders or track. Its a helluva risk.

We have been in this industry for many years and know it well. We can all argue with others and tell them what we think they should be doing and how we should be doing it, but when you are spending someone else's money its easy, not so easy when its your own.

Edited by scotty2hotty
  • Like 1

The traditional Club Merchandise model I've always been led to believe is that the Club orders its stuff, pays up front, hope to reach a point in August where they've broken even and after that it's profit but the danger is you can get left with a lot of Stock and spend a lot of money up front and we've all seen and waited for Clubs fire-sales at last few matches.

The more modern model used by a few Clubs is to contract it out mostly online, you order decent quality leisure-ware with a Club badge or logo and it pops through the Post. I would imagine Club gets a small cut on each item and makes a few quid in the region of 10% but don't have an outlay so it's safer and more cost effective.

That's happening now in other Sports and ways of life as more stuff goes online. Do I want to buy a coat or shirt that's probably been fingered by a dozen people on a rack?, not keen pre Covid and certainly NOT keen now .

Buyer chooses which model they like but always going to be some happy and some not.

Jaybea sell merch for a number of clubs. see https://jaybeadesigns.co.uk/

Kent do have a club shop - it only recently re opened after the lifting of Covid restrictions. Its Jaybea stuff and all looks of reasonable quality.

Seems speedway supporters are much more frugal with spending on merch. Many appear to delight in wearing scarves hats from a bygone era . Also the potential market is pretty small. Other than badge collectors doubt any fan would consider buying another clubs merch, thus limiting the market to a maximum of maybe several hundred.

Edited by old bob at herne bay
typo

Redcar: Shop on website showing nothing available

Some items are available - some larger sizes are unavailable (the pies also sell well at Redcar :D) - click the drop down options:

http://www.redcar-speedway.com/shop/

PS badges and programme boards are available at the track shop.;)

Edited by Bear_Bottom