British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Leicester vs Birmingham 31/07/21

Cool and breezy, forecast has changed to no rain now... we'll see

Edited by iainb

The sun's trying to put an appearance in now :o

Right, positive comments only... erm...

Heats 13, 14 & 15, more of that please! Heat 13 especially, proper Speedway! It was the best race I've seen anywhere this season!

Also Jason Edwards was very good entertainment value. 

Edited by iainb
  • Like 1

Just back and overall enjoyed the meeting with a few reservations.  Negatives first - too much gate and go in many heats and the Brummies are a side with erratic gaters at best. In the other heats I saw some excellent passing usually on the final bend. Leicester were far too strong in every department. Only Harris put up a real challenge, though Castagna and Edwards put in a good shift.

The track at Leicester seems a bit peculiar in my eyes. It seems too long and lacking in width (I don't mean the width of the straights or bend themselves s just the overall width. I can't see an outside line for a passing run. on it -  much passing seems to be on the coming out of bends. It's not the Brandon I was used to - or the Reading before that.

Still an enjoyable night. Leicester speedway people are very friendly.  My daughter, who used to accompany to Brandon in her teens was with me (on a visit from Netherlands and wanted to see some racing again) commented that there seemed more female supporters than she remembered at Coventry. I also noticed a good number of teenagers too. Leicester must be doing something right! Anyway, I'll say the important words - I'll be coming back.

• Like 1

Pros and cons at every track though. Good people at Leicester, ambitious promotion, decent team but racing not always the best.

Decent racing requires riders of similar ability and just as importantly, attitude. The Brum riders were simply not up for it tonight. It makes me wonder if some riders actually read to much into the negativity regarding the track and when at the back, just pull up. There were six heats where only one of their riders finished the race. Harris can hold his head up, but even he uncharacteristically surrendered points from positions you wouldn't expect. I had Riss nailed on for double figures on a track he knows well, but offered little.

The Brum promotion are relying on a good turnout for their next home meeting. Since Leicester is the nearest track, tonight presented an opportunity for them to show their travelling supporters (although they weren't expected to win) that they have a team worthy of their backing. Their fans deserved better and I heard some chuntering that they might not even bother on Wednesday. 

Fingers crossed that they get the numbers they are looking for (from somewhere) through the gate for the Kent fixture.

Riss rode a GTR looking engine to tonight seemed strange to me as I didn't think they were still around

7 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

Decent racing requires riders of similar ability and just as importantly, attitude. The Brum riders were simply not up for it tonight. It makes me wonder if some riders actually read to much into the negativity regarding the track and when at the back, just pull up. There were six heats where only one of their riders finished the race. Harris can hold his head up, but even he uncharacteristically surrendered points from positions you wouldn't expect. I had Riss nailed on for double figures on a track he knows well, but offered little.

The Brum promotion are relying on a good turnout for their next home meeting. Since Leicester is the nearest track, tonight presented an opportunity for them to show their travelling supporters (although they weren't expected to win) that they have a team worthy of their backing. Their fans deserved better and I heard some chuntering that they might not even bother on Wednesday. 

Fingers crossed that they get the numbers they are looking for (from somewhere) through the gate for the Kent fixture.

There seemed as many Brummie fans there last night at BP as when I went to PB the other week to watch the re-opening Redcar match. It wasn't great to watch a number of the Birmingham riders unable/unwilling to do 4 laps, a number of them were struggling to ride the track (as were most pre interval) but you're not going to learn how to ride a track parked up on the centre green.

Somebody that was having a go was James Shanes, didn't get the points his efforts deserved... what an all action style he has!

7 hours ago, zlata prilba said:

Riss rode a GTR looking engine to tonight seemed strange to me as I didn't think they were still around

I noticed this too, also Bomber seems to be "experimenting" with a different kind of engine at the moment, I'm guessing it's a Godden as it doesn't look like a GM or GTR, it's let him down a few times for Peterborough.

Heat 13 has got to be the race of the season for me. Hope it gets onto the BSPA website!

Still not sure why Heat 8 was re-started without a Rider being warned. No announcement made other than all 4 in the re-start.

Edited by Gambo
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Heat 13 has got to be the race of the season for me. Hope it gets onto the BSPA website!

I hope so too, given some of the recent offerings.

Couldn’t make it last night but my son said it was brilliant and he doesn’t say that very often.

Edited by Elmo

12 hours ago, bluebee said:

Just back and overall enjoyed the meeting with a few reservations.  Negatives first - too much gate and go in many heats and the Brummies are a side with erratic gaters at best. In the other heats I saw some excellent passing usually on the final bend. Leicester were far too strong in every department. Only Harris put up a real challenge, though Castagna and Edwards put in a good shift.

The track at Leicester seems a bit peculiar in my eyes. It seems too long and lacking in width (I don't mean the width of the straights or bend themselves s just the overall width. I can't see an outside line for a passing run. on it -  much passing seems to be on the coming out of bends. It's not the Brandon I was used to - or the Reading before that.

Still an enjoyable night. Leicester speedway people are very friendly.  My daughter, who used to accompany to Brandon in her teens was with me (on a visit from Netherlands and wanted to see some racing again) commented that there seemed more female supporters than she remembered at Coventry. I also noticed a good number of teenagers too. Leicester must be doing something right! Anyway, I'll say the important words - I'll be coming back.

You certainly wouldn't have liked it (the track) prior to the alterations carried out by the current owners and promoters! It was almost as off-putting as the constant rubbish peddled by the previous owner and promoter (same person as designed the track). Now, I just take the attitude of, to use the favourite phrase of T. Woffinden, "it is what it is" and fully appreciate that Stewart Dickson & co are doing their very best to enhance what they are working with, and generally are doing a fine job. The alterations have helped, too, and probably the current owners and sponsors have contributed significantly. 

1 hour ago, Elmo said:

I hope so too, given some of the recent offerings.

Couldn’t make it last night but my son said it was brilliant and he doesn’t say that very often.

I honestly don't want to be negative but prior to the interval as a spectacle of speedway I thought it was total rubbish, with the exception of heat 2. A lot of riders were struggling to stay on their machines, with the entry to turn 1 and 3 being most problematical. There was another race as well,  2 races in 1, with about 100 yards between them,  other than that a lot of the races had the riders really strung out. 

From the interval onwards I thought it was excellent speedway and you won't see a better race than heat 13 anywhere. I think a lot of punters will go home remembering those last few races. 

Edited by iainb

Like other comments thought the racing last night was poor up to the interval. Prob is sadly it will not change unless funding available to alter shape so conclusion I’ve made is accept and get your weekly fix..? as with many other clubs we see in great difficulty chicken and egg though poor entertainment people loose interest.. roll on Saturday.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Cross Roads said:

Like other comments thought the racing last night was poor up to the interval. Prob is sadly it will not change unless funding available to alter shape so conclusion I’ve made is accept and get your weekly fix..? as with many other clubs we see in great difficulty chicken and egg though poor entertainment people loose interest.. roll on Saturday.

It very much depends on what you're looking for from your speedway, quite a few people are happy to watch strung out poor racing as long as their team are coming home with a 5-1, for me that's not speedway but I understand and accept that others enjoy that sort of thing. 

• Like 1