British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AndyO

Start Marshall's

Sorry just noticed my typo.. should be Marshal and not Marshall... make them even less relevant I guess!

18 minutes ago, AndyO said:

Sorry just noticed my typo.. should be Marshal and not Marshall... make them even less relevant I guess!

Quite right... give 'em a metal star badge and a gun, that'd get the riders to the tapes!

• Haha 1

Start marshal's what?

(Apostrophe misuse irks me)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They have important job  in Poland,they seem to be in contact with Ref,and do a good job of straightening up riders who line up at angle,and moving up to tapes.

I thought all start marshalls had to be in radio contact with the ref!??

49 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

They have important job  in Poland,they seem to be in contact with Ref,and do a good job of straightening up riders who line up at angle,and moving up to tapes.

I quite like it when a rider is pointing inwards, shows aggressive intent. Is it a rule that the rider has to be straight at the start? It may well be in Poland, I don't know but you often see the start marshal applying this same ruling (?) in GP's also

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

I quite like it when a rider is pointing inwards, shows aggressive intent. Is it a rule that the rider has to be straight at the start? It may well be in Poland, I don't know but you often see the start marshal applying this same ruling (?) in GP's also

Apparently Travis McGowan was renowned for it? Remember the 1986 World Final where Neil Evitts off gate one put Erik Gundersen off as the tapes rose and Erik's defence of the title ended at that point!

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

They certainly straighten them up in Poland don’t know about rule though.It appears the ref is telling him through headphones.

50 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

They certainly straighten them up in Poland don’t know about rule though.It appears the ref is telling him through headphones.

Yeah Tai controversially got excluded in a GP a few years back (Torun I think, when the title was boiling down) after they'd brought the rule in, in Poland. 

1 hour ago, Skidder1 said:

I thought all start marshalls had to be in radio contact with the ref!??

In Poland they are.

On 7/31/2021 at 4:52 AM, Sotonian said:

Start marshal's what?

(Apostrophe misuse irks me)

You sound exactly like me...

• Like 2

Are Start Marshals still required to wear the "neutral" stripey tops? Our SM at Leicester has broken ranks and now wears Lions merch.

... and are SM's in communication with the ref using an ear piece and mic?

46 minutes ago, iainb said:

Are Start Marshals still required to wear the "neutral" stripey tops? Our SM at Leicester has broken ranks and now wears Lions merch.

... and are SM's in communication with the ref using an ear piece and mic?

Really should by in neutral garb.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 4:55 AM, AndyO said:

OK so in true investigative journalist style and cutting to the chase with the important questions of the day... Start Marshall's - what's the point!

They wave the last lap and chequered flags?

That could of course be done with a digiboard these days, although there's probably still some need to make sure riders are lined-up inside their gates. 

they could have yellow cards to issue to non co operative riders. A second card - 20 mtrs back