British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Pirates on tour. Edinburgh, Berwick, Newcastle.6/7/8/8/21

17 hours ago, NeilWatson said:

So he is, didn't spot that - watching the GP and the GSAs from the BSPA website aren't in numerical order! In which case whoever guests for him will take the RR ride.

That will be Wells then.

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Much better weather so far today. Sunny and wRm though big clouds are building inland. Forecast is for an odd shower but think it will go ahead. 

Just visited Holy Island and the lindisfarne castle. Lovely place. 

If you've a spare hour or so, a visit to see the Chillingham CATTLE is interesting and, the 'Prior Chippy' in the estate opposite the stadium has some good bait. :t:

39 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

If you've a spare hour or so, a visit to see the Chillingham CATTLE is interesting and, the 'Prior Chippy' in the estate opposite the stadium has some good bait. :t:

I cant vouch for the castle but Prior chippy gets the thumbs up from me.:t:

1 minute ago, screm said:

I cant vouch for the castle but Prior chippy gets the thumbs up from me.:t:

CATTLE.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Much better weather so far today. Sunny and wRm though big clouds are building inland. Forecast is for an odd shower but think it will go ahead. 

Just visited Holy Island and the lindisfarne castle. Lovely place. 

If you're going to have a look at a few sights on the way down to Newcastle on Sunday have a look at Bamburgh, but these days on a Sunday you'll need to be there by 11 for parking, though there are  now two overflow carparks one each side of the village. Or watch the kite surfers at Beadnell Bay, and of course you've got Alnwick, Craster, and other villages on the coast. Avoid Seahouses though as its a mad house on a Sunday if the weather is good.

14 minutes ago, jrs said:

If you're going to have a look at a few sights on the way down to Newcastle on Sunday have a look at Bamburgh, but these days on a Sunday you'll need to be there by 11 for parking, though there are  now two overflow carparks one each side of the village. Or watch the kite surfers at Beadnell Bay, and of course you've got Alnwick, Craster, and other villages on the coast. Avoid Seahouses though as its a mad house on a Sunday if the weather is good.

The Kippers from Craster come highly recommend 

2 hours ago, PirateShip said:

I'm in Edinburgh City centre. Like yourself Steve sum great places to visit. Altho I've found myself in a Costa, overlooking Princess Street, avin a sausage cob & flat white. Can't beat a Costa wherever u r :party:

Do we know you Pirateship? 

59 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Do we know you Pirateship? 

What you reckon a rogue poster :t:

On 8/6/2021 at 3:43 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Spoke to Dougie at the stadium who said they dont use covers anymore because no one is prepared to help pull them on and off!

Which has always been the reason why others didn't follow suit and get covers. It's a good idea theoretically, but full of practical issues such as manpower, storage and when to put them down.

• Like 1

Another nice spot on the Northumberland Coast on a Sunday is Amble.  They have a Sunday Market in the harbour car park, lots of independent  trading "pods2 dotted around the place with lots of options to eat local fish and seafood.   Sunday is usually pretty busy and lively.

2 hours ago, ray c said:

What you reckon a rogue poster :t:

No it was Neil from long Eaton. We have met him at the stadium. 

5 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Another nice spot on the Northumberland Coast on a Sunday is Amble.  They have a Sunday Market in the harbour car park, lots of independent  trading "pods2 dotted around the place with lots of options to eat local fish and seafood.   Sunday is usually pretty busy and lively.

And don't forget my beautiful seaside Town, Whitley Bay. Walk the links, play mini golf, see St Mary's lighthouse, amusements arcades, award winning ice cream parlours , Italian restaurants and  many family pubs like the Briardene just off the links. Pop a couple of miles down the coast and visit Tynemouth and the Priory ruin, before seeing the mouth of the Tyne and all the modern fishing vessels at the North Shields Quay. Plenty of restaurants on the Quay with Fish and Chips and Italian being there in plenty.

6 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

And don't forget my beautiful seaside Town, Whitley Bay. Walk the links, play mini golf, see St Mary's lighthouse, amusements arcades, award winning ice cream parlours , Italian restaurants and  many family pubs like the Briardene just off the links. Pop a couple of miles down the coast and visit Tynemouth and the Priory ruin, before seeing the mouth of the Tyne and all the modern fishing vessels at the North Shields Quay. Plenty of restaurants on the Quay with Fish and Chips and Italian being there in plenty.

Whitley Bay seems to be a very popular destination these days. Almost like a northern version of Cornwall. Or is Cornwall a southern version of Whitley Bay!

22 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Whitley Bay seems to be a very popular destination these days. Almost like a northern version of Cornwall. Or is Cornwall a southern version of Whitley Bay!

Both lovely places. Actually I forgot to mention the revised building and award winning restaurant/tearooms/fish and chip shop at the Spanish City site. There used to be a funfair park behind it, and Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits named their song 'Tunnel of Love' after the attraction that was there.

Huge advantage 2 and 4. 1 is a dead dog.