Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Fullmax

Torun Grand Prix 2021 (Entry to Poland for UK citizens)

3 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Yep. Sadly the Headline would be "Engine tuner takes the World Title and a bloke whose country can't be named held onto the handlebars !" :rolleyes:

And some bloke who is nowadays more famous for coffee had his music played at the end

Chai Kovsky :D

5 minutes ago, iris123 said:

And some bloke who is nowadays more famous for coffee had his music played at the end

Chai Kovsky :D

Is that the guy who wrote the '12 minutes past 6pm Overture'? :D

3 hours ago, iris123 said:

What surprised me yesterday, seeing as the title was on the line in the last GP and a Pole was in the running, was quite a few empty seats. Now I only watch sporadically, so it might be normal or was it down to some restriction ? Didn't seem like it though as the empty seats were also sporadic, rather than planned by the look of it

No restrictions, a sell-out meeting. Thought myself it was funny to see so much empty seats.

5 minutes ago, f-s-p said:

No restrictions, a sell-out meeting. Thought myself it was funny to see so much empty seats.

Thanks

Did wonder as one of my Russian friends posted a couple of videos of Russian fans packed into a bus celebrating. Nobody wearing masks :D

Maybe a lot people had previously bought tickets but unable to travel for one Reason or another

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

Or Igor Plechanov. But now Russia have their Champion

Does not change the fact that Igor is still one of the best, if not the best, not to be crowned world champion.  If only he could have ridden in Britain, Boris Samarodov as well would have benefitted.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iris123 said:

What surprised me yesterday, seeing as the title was on the line in the last GP and a Pole was in the running, was quite a few empty seats. Now I only watch sporadically, so it might be normal or was it down to some restriction ? Didn't seem like it though as the empty seats were also sporadic, rather than planned by the look of it

Was thinking the same, a far cry from over 100,000 at Katowice... and speedway in Poland had supposed to be booming

6 hours ago, iainb said:

I was always of the opinion the Leigh Adams and/or Emil were the best riders to never be world champion but when you look at the stats Andreas Jonsson and Jarek Hampel have a pretty good claim to this unwanted title too. With Magic and Fred catching them up quickly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Speedway_Grand_Prix_statistics

Emil... 2 x WU21 champion, 2x European champion, 3x SON winner, 3x WC medals, 22 GP finals, 7 GPwins... how much more is needed to class him as a great rider?.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Does not change the fact that Igor is still one of the best, if not the best, not to be crowned world champion.  If only he could have ridden in Britain, Boris Samarodov as well would have benefitted.

I wasn't even implying it did.

My answer was Plechanov, full stop.......:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, customhouseregular said:

Emil... 2 x WU21 champion, 2x European champion, 3x SON winner, 3x WC medals, 22 GP finals, 7 GPwins... how much more is needed to class him as a great rider?.

I don't think anybody is disputing that he's a great rider...

Having been there in 1973 when Ivan lay in the dirt as Jerzy Szczakiel completed 4 laps to become the World Champion, I'm tempted to say that it ain't the stats that live on, it's the name on the trophy. It shouldn't be so, but that's the way it is.

2 hours ago, customhouseregular said:

More consistent domestic performances and a world title. Emil couldn’t lace Leigh Adams boots presently, just ask Leszno fans.

Still time for Emil but I think Bartosz and Artem are in a different dimension.

2 hours ago, iainb said:

I don't think anybody is disputing that he's a great rider...

It seems some are, but all are entitled to their own opinions He is as good as Artem and Bartosz, but not consistently as good. That’s why I find him so frustrating.