British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bluebee

Birmingham v Kent 4/8/2021

I'm not a Brummie's regular put I'll start the topic. I'm driving over for this one and hopefully bringing my daughter - that's two on the gate!  I'd like some advice on parking and the best route to take. We're coming from Northampton. Hope to see a better performance that the one at Leicester.

car park at stadium is £2.50 but suggest getting there early as it fills up, if full you can park on the One Stop Shopping free from 6-10  .  Although there are roadworks on the a34 off M6 Junction 7 that is simplest route . If you come through the city centre there is a congestion charge now .

Edited by Speedway fan
  • Like 1

Many thanks Speedway fan. That will be a great help. It's a part of Birmingham that I've not been to before.

34 minutes ago, bluebee said:

I'm not a Brummie's regular put I'll start the topic. I'm driving over for this one and hopefully bringing my daughter - that's two on the gate!  I'd like some advice on parking and the best route to take. We're coming from Northampton. Hope to see a better performance that the one at Leicester.

I have a suggestion for the Brummie's management and they'll probably hate me for suggesting this....:D

But if a speedway fan is coming from a 'certain' distance (may be minimum 30 miles) then they should receive a free car park pass ? (just a thought/incentive?)

As for best route:

My advice would be to get off the M6 at junction 5 (if you're coming from the South) and follow the A452 for approx 4/5 miles (it's a fairly busy road, but usually keeps moving) eventually turning left on to A453, follow till near the stadium and turn left on to Holford Drive (park on this road). Stadium is 5 mins walk.

All told...it's probably a 20 mins drive (in rush hour) from Jctn 5 M6.....then only 10 mins when going home :D

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 2

It's an interesting idea but in practice I could see issues - fake verification, queues for checks etc.  Anyway, thanks for the advice about getting there. Hope to leave at 5.30 but I suppose I'll still hit the traffic.

Edited by bluebee

46 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

car park at stadium is £2.50 but suggest getting there early as it fills up, if full you can park on the One Stop Shopping free from 6-10  .  Although there are roadworks on the a34 off M6 Junction 7 that is simplest route . If you come through the city centre there is a congestion charge now .

Sadly all the above are just another list of things why Speedway at Brum is struggling. On site parking charges (never been a fan and smacks of extra profiteering), local free parking but don't get there too early and hope the meeting doesn't run too late (or even think about hanging around after for a drink/chat) and to top it off a route to the track is now covered by the congestion charge. It never rains as they say..... 

1 hour ago, bluebee said:

It's an interesting idea but in practice I could see issues - fake verification, queues for checks etc.  Anyway, thanks for the advice about getting there. Hope to leave at 5.30 but I suppose I'll still hit the traffic.

Should be a fair bit quieter using my suggested route if you aim to get off the M6 around 6.30ish?

Safe journey!

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

As for best route:

My advice would be to get off the M6 at junction 5 (if you're coming from the South) and follow the A452 for approx 4/5 miles (it's a fairly busy road, but usually keeps moving) eventually turning left on to A453, follow till near the stadium and turn left on to Holford Drive (park on this road). Stadium is 5 mins walk.

All told...it's probably a 20 mins drive (in rush hour) from Jctn 5 M6.....then only 10 mins when going home :D

That's actually a very good shout!. I've recently moved to Elmdon, Solihull and my shortest route is via A45, ring road then up the the A34 from Newtown. That route really is the definition of hell at the minute, as I would be hit with the ridiculous sprint bus works between Heybarnes and Bordesley Circus. Then the traffic from basically Aston Six ways bit of the A34 upto Perry Barr island. 

Last match I just stayed on M6 to junction 7 and went down A34 and that's what most fans will  Probably do and its fine that way. Google Maps was trying to take me off M6 at junction 6, Aston expressway and then Victoria road before joing A34. Thankfully I'm not crazy and I don't love traffic jams enough to go that way :D

Edited by Brummie Kev
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Brummie Kev said:

That's actually a very good shout!. I've recently moved to Elmdon, Solihull and my shortest route is via A45, ring road then up the the A34 from Newtown. That route really is the definition of hell at the minute, as I would be hit with the ridiculous sprint bus works between Heybarnes and Bordesley Circus. Then the traffic from basically Aston Six ways bit of the A34 upto Perry Barr island. 

Last match I just stayed on M6 to junction 7 and went down A34 and that's what most fans will  Probably do and its fine that way. Google Maps was trying to take me off M6 at junction 6, Aston expressway and then Victoria road before joing A34. Thankfully I'm not crazy and I don't love traffic jams enough to go that way :D

Head for spitfire Island onto Chester Road then turn left onto College Road towards Perry Barr I use that route occasionally to Yardley.Or you can go from Fox and Goose  towards Star City past Villa Park towards Perry Barr.

16 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Looked up this "clean air zone" charge and it's £8 a day. !!!!

Yes, but you don't hit the zone if you use the M6 Jct5 or Jct7.....