British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bluebee

Birmingham v Kent 4/8/2021

21 minutes ago, The H Man said:

talking of guess the attendance - I see on press release it says crowds only 1/3 of figure in 2019, I attended the Glasgow match and around 400 maybe a few more in, so were Brum getting 1200 in 2019?   

Have Brum ever got 1200 through the gate? 

24 minutes ago, The H Man said:

talking of guess the attendance - I see on press release it says crowds only 1/3 of figure in 2019, I attended the Glasgow match and around 400 maybe a few more in, so were Brum getting 1200 in 2019?   

I would have guessed our average in 2019 at around 700 to 800, suffered from a weak team initially but built up in summer holidays. 

Best few May have been closer to 900 to 1000. Kids scheme boosted in holidays. 

Footy season starts next week and that won't help at all as lots not been in a footy ground for 16 months so that'll be a novelty for many. 

27 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Have Brum ever got 1200 through the gate? 

That statement saying the crowd is only a third pre covid is a lie !

I have been to all the meetings this season & I'm not blind. 

• Confused 1

Good meeting in prospect here, Harris, Riss and the boys will have fond memories of the last home meeting and will look to build on that. Kent have a good side with Scott, Starkey, and Batch now. Gilkes at reserve will be one to watch, big future for him in the sport! Can't wait for this one!! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brummies_Ste said:

That statement saying the crowd is only a third pre covid is a lie !

I have been to all the meetings this season & I'm not blind. 

The average crowd in 2019 was around 900. This year about 400 last week there was a few more but no where near enough the club need. It may work tonight and get more fans in but long term not sure. Hope I'm wrong. 

During this will they , won’t they situation with the Birmingham promotion could someone be able to tell me what do Peter and David Mason do away from Speedway to supplement there earnings ??  Thanks in advance 

Looking forward to this one ,should be a good match, not going to be the walk over we all assumed as Kent now have Troy Batchelor, could be close?, lets hope the track is good and the lads have got their gating boots on.                      come on you Brummies!!!!

If there is one... BBC WM on BBC sounds app.

What's the crowd like tonight? Hopefully it will enough for the Mason's to keep going. 

46 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

What's the crowd like tonight? Hopefully it will enough for the Mason's to keep going. 

Biggest of season. 

Maybe 800 bit more. 

Opinions on survival split 50 50

Fingers crossed

• Like 1

That's good to hear but the big thing now is to keep them hopefully they will come back.

1 hour ago, Trackerman48 said:

It was fantastic, not seen it that packed in a long time. Lee Kilby when interviewed in the break said David and Peter Mason were very happy. Of course it's just one meeting and we need good crowds every meeting. We have Leicester this month and they travel in large numbers normally plus next week it's Edinburgh which should be an attractive fixture. 

Credit to the club aswell, really promoted it the past 7 days and the fans responded. Plenty of fans care about this club and we don't want to lose it. 

• Like 7

Wouldn't have said the crowd was any bigger tonight than it was on my two previous visits, the demoralizing opening night v/s Redcar and the visit of Glasgow but it is difficult to judge.

Decent meeting made more interesting due to the Kings fightback and last heat decider but again dusty despite much tracotring and even a sprinkling of rain later on.  Also seemed to be a bump on the inside of turn 1 early on.

When I saw the lineups I thought Kent only need one of the bottom three to score a few points to win, one of the bottom three did turn up in Gilkes who looks a prospect but Heeps was poor until his final ride.

For the Brummies.  Castagna rode well, almost hit the fence in heat 2 but recovered to sneak past Giles for the win picked up more precious points and didn't stick to his favoured inside line as much as he usually does.
Morris thwarted Nicholls well in heat 9 and sealed the win with third place in heat 15 but made a mistake in his first ride which cost him points needs a heat win!  Harris looked peerless in his first 3 rides including an impressive backstraight blast past Batchelor in heat 11, but made no impression after missing the gate in heat 13.
Thomas went from 1st to last in 3 laps of heat 12 - poor, Shanes was always in the mix but never gated, showed Morris how to pass Morley in heat 5.
Riss was poor after a good opening win, just didn't have any speed, nothing like the rider who scorched to a 15 point maximum at Perry Barr for Redcar inn 2019, thought riding at 1 would suit him more than 5.  Grobauer very much under the radar until his final ride.

For Kent.  Gilkes impressed without winning a heat, Batchelor was untouchable and quick in his final two rides, not the case earlier in the meeting - the red of Kent suits him more than the yellow, black & blue Tigers kevlars I've seen him in a few times.
Expected more from Starke but 9 points is a decent return I guess.  Morley & Mulford never looked like troubling the scorers really, Morley can count himself unlucky in heat 8 Gilkes and Castagna both drifted wide on turn 1 leaving him no room, should have been all 4 back.
Nicholls was very hit & miss, poor opening ride, looked quick second ride, struggled to get the better of Shanes in third ride, again looked quick in heat 13 but then nowhere in the last heat decider.  For Heeps see Grobauer, but he has enough experience to be better than he rode.

Heat 12 was the best race of the night. Thomas gated, Starke blasted past him (which I was surprised he hadn't done when chasing Castagna & Grobauer earlier) as Shanes battled past Gilkes, Gilkes made the mistake of following Thomas on the curb as Shanes built up speed around the outside.  Shanes past both, then Gilkes also got past Thomas as the Brummies reserve made a mistake before retiring.  

Edited by Col