British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bluebee

Birmingham v Kent 4/8/2021

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Riss ???

My fear is, he may be 'intentionally' lowering his average.....because if we do fold, he will be more versatile to other teams ? (just a thought)

We all know that 'average' fixing goes on......

I think he's just having a poor year. Been disappointing for Lynn.

Just a few further thoughts on last night and speedway in general.

It was my first visit to Perry Barr and it was a bit chaotic outside the stadium with the roadworks and everything, but I parked for free in the shopping centre as kindly recommended earlier in the thread. 

I had nothing to compare the crowd to as I had not been before but it looked a good turnout and it was a really friendly atmosphere. It was great to see that there were loads of families with kids there and it was a great idea to have the kids on the centre green in the interval taking penalties against the mascot and massive credit to the riders who got involved as well. It was a bit hard to see from where I was, but it may well have been Ashley Morris and James Shanes - brilliant effort, whoever it was.

As pleasing was to see the turnout of the older end as well. It must be hard for some people to have the confidence to come out again but it was great to see the older diehard fans there too. I'm not sure what the capacity is at the stadium but to have had many more in there might have felt a bit uncomfortable for the older end. 

I went to the bar area in the interval and, although some tables were cordoned off, it seemed well populated and I loved the Hall of Fame on the wall at the top of the stairs. I update and contribute to the Speedway Researcher website, so am aware of the famous history of the club, but to see the display brought it home how important clubs like Birmingham and Newcastle are to the sport.

It cost me £19.50 for my entrance fee and a programme and for that there was the 15 heat Championship meeting, a six race second half, and some 125 or 250cc races. The meeting was well presented by Ryan Guest and the announcer and the racing was pretty good. Two full strength sides, no guests, some great young British talent on display, and two of the best riders the country has seen in the past 20 years. How anyone can complain that this is not good value is beyond me. The track was a little dusty but with a big black cloud over the stadium for the duration of the meeting which threatened to empty itself on the track at any point, I could see why preparation may have been difficult and watering risky.

I think we all know that speedway, like other sports, is struggling but I've been to all five meetings at Sheffield this year plus one each at Leicester, Redcar, Eastbourne and Birmingham and there is life in the sport yet. We have an older demographic and that age group have been through a scary time and, for many, it's a big step to come to a speedway meeting. We do have to attract new fans as well, but without alienating the hardcore with innovations like The Hundred at cricket, which to me is a total abomination. 

Finally, the demise of speedway is predicted by quite a few people on this site who clearly take an interest because they are on here every day, but seemingly don't go anymore. To those people I say - get down to your local track and support them. Put aside for a while your valid complaints about doubling up, guests etc, and enjoy the racing for what it is because speedway is still a great night out.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Riss ???

My fear is, he may be 'intentionally' lowering his average.....because if we do fold, he will be more versatile to other teams ? (just a thought)

We all know that 'average' fixing goes on......

Not the first German ex-Monarch to play that game 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Riss lowering his ave, give over, his form is poor for KL as well, The only person lately to average lower is Batchelor, to get his place at Kent, bet he scores more for Sheffield now.

The statement from Eastbourne states a bad weather forecast and the clash with the speedway GP along with ongoing Covid restrictions, all valid points. The was a time back in the day that this would have been a nailed on away weekend trip down to the south coast, however currently I'll be staying at home watching the GP.     

Edited by Pirio Barre
the standard typo do it every time

24 minutes ago, Pirio Barre said:

The statement from Eastbourne states a bad weather forecast and the clash with the speedway GP along with ongoing Covid restrictions, all valid points. The was a time back in the day that this would have been a nailed on away weekend trip down to the south coast, however currently I'll be staying at home watching the GP.     

What covid restrictions of those? Are Eastbourne operating differently from the rest of the country?

I was looking at the forecast on my phone app yesterday evening, it was telling me there wasn't a cloud in the sky at that current time... I looked out of the window and couldn't see any blue sky at all. 

What a ridiculous decision to call it off so early!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iainb said:

miss quoted, confusion by me 

Edited by Pirio Barre
confusion by me
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Pirio Barre said:

I'm confused now

1 hour ago, CountArthur said:

It was my first visit to Perry Barr and it was a bit chaotic outside the stadium with the roadworks and everything, but I parked for free in the shopping centre as kindly recommended earlier in the thread. 

I had nothing to compare the crowd to as I had not been before but it looked a good turnout and it was a really friendly atmosphere. It was great to see that there were loads of families with kids there and it was a great idea to have the kids on the centre green in the interval taking penalties against the mascot and massive credit to the riders who got involved as well. It was a bit hard to see from where I was, but it may well have been Ashley Morris and James Shanes - brilliant effort, whoever it was.

As pleasing was to see the turnout of the older end as well. It must be hard for some people to have the confidence to come out again but it was great to see the older diehard fans there too. I'm not sure what the capacity is at the stadium but to have had many more in there might have felt a bit uncomfortable for the older end. 

I went to the bar area in the interval and, although some tables were cordoned off, it seemed well populated and I loved the Hall of Fame on the wall at the top of the stairs. I update and contribute to the Speedway Researcher website, so am aware of the famous history of the club, but to see the display brought it home how important clubs like Birmingham and Newcastle are to the sport.

It cost me £19.50 for my entrance fee and a programme and for that there was the 15 heat Championship meeting, a six race second half, and some 125 or 250cc races. The meeting was well presented by Ryan Guest and the announcer and the racing was pretty good. Two full strength sides, no guests, some great young British talent on display, and two of the best riders the country has seen in the past 20 years. How anyone can complain that this is not good value is beyond me. The track was a little dusty but with a big black cloud over the stadium for the duration of the meeting which threatened to empty itself on the track at any point, I could see why preparation may have been difficult and watering risky.

I think we all know that speedway, like other sports, is struggling but I've been to all five meetings at Sheffield this year plus one each at Leicester, Redcar, Eastbourne and Birmingham and there is life in the sport yet. We have an older demographic and that age group have been through a scary time and, for many, it's a big step to come to a speedway meeting. We do have to attract new fans as well, but without alienating the hardcore with innovations like The Hundred at cricket, which to me is a total abomination. 

Finally, the demise of speedway is predicted by quite a few people on this site who clearly take an interest because they are on here every day, but seemingly don't go anymore. To those people I say - get down to your local track and support them. Put aside for a while your valid complaints about doubling up, guests etc, and enjoy the racing for what it is because speedway is still a great night out.

I've gone past worrying about the rules and the line ups. If the sun is shining, I'm happy to go. We were lucky to get away with it last night. According to the rainful radar, it was chucking it down a few miles to the west. I guess the Mason's were due a bit of luck.

8 minutes ago, iainb said:

What covid restrictions of those? Are Eastbourne operating differently from the rest of the country?

I'm confused now

My mistake the Eastbourne statement mentioned the lifting of covid restriction, however many people are still put off from travelling or being in a crowd because of covid. 

Edited by Pirio Barre

Really good post! 

• Like 1

A very articulate post CountArthur and well said. I wasn't there last night but I fully agree with your final comments. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pirio Barre said:

My mistake the Eastbourne statement mentioned the lifting of covid restriction, however many people are still put off from travelling or being in a crowd because of covid. 

They may as well pull the plug on the whole season then smh 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, iainb said:

They may as well pull the plug on the whole season then smh 

What are you on about? this is the reason i hardly every post on here. You honest believe that covid is no longer a issue, and the Eastbourne statement does mention the ongoing pings of isolation people are getting  

Edited by Pirio Barre
  • Like 1