British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bluebee

Birmingham v Kent 4/8/2021

1 minute ago, iainb said:

Well you can't run a league system on this basis, I'm afraid if this is to become the new normal then the leagues need disbanding and individual competitions be run in its place. It renders a fixture list meaningless to cancel based on weather forecasts.

Poole; Kent ; Newcastle; Wolverhampton to name but 4 have previously called off Fixtures covering a few weeks for well explained economic and crowd related reasons. Same if not more impact on the League system.

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

Well you can't run a league system on this basis, I'm afraid if this is to become the new normal then the leagues need disbanding and individual competitions be run in its place. It renders a fixture list meaningless to cancel based on weather forecasts.

That is utterly ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

If i had to call it off based on a weather forecast,  I would at least wait until the day of the event

You'd be footing a nice bill for your programmes at least then!

3 minutes ago, iainb said:

If i had to call it off based on a weather forecast,  I would at least wait until the day of the event

Even if the weather forecast was atrocious and England were playing in the World Cup final?

7 minutes ago, iainb said:

Well you're in the "some won't agree" camp then, which is OK, however for me an early call off means I can watch the Lions rugby, followed by the Speedway GP. It means I can plan my day and evening.

Call off's on the day are generally time consuming and costly for everyone.

The way it is, we all know what's happening and why. Whether we agree with it or not is another matter, as articulated in the statement.

Edited by woofers
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, HGould said:

Poole; Kent ; Newcastle; Wolverhampton to name but 4 have previously called off Fixtures covering a few weeks for well explained economic and crowd related reasons. Same if not more impact on the League system.

Not because it was clashing with Eastenders though!

14 minutes ago, scotty2hotty said:

That is utterly ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is canceling meetings based on a weather forecast 2 and a half days away and a browse through the Radio Times!

13 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

You'd be footing a nice bill for your programmes at least then!

Wouldn't be the first time a Programme had to be reused with a printed insert

14 minutes ago, scotty2hotty said:

Even if the weather forecast was atrocious and England were playing in the World Cup final?

I'd wait until the day of the event

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

I'd wait until the day of the event

Well maybe you wouldn't make a great Promoter after all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

damned if you do, damned if you don't. Take it you aren't rushing to the head of the queue to become a promoter then!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Speedway fan said:

damned if you do, damned if you don't. Take it you aren't rushing to the head of the queue to become a promoter then!

I really can't think of ANY good reason to become a promoter of a "sport" that has  so much wrong with it. 

I'll wait until it dies its inevitable death and a phoenix rises from the ashes.

5 hours ago, CountArthur said:

It was a bit hard to see from where I was, but it may well have been Ashley Morris and James Shanes - brilliant effort, whoever it was.

You're correct, Shanes & Morris were on the centre green for the penalty shootout.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I really can't think of ANY good reason to become a promoter of a "sport" that has  so much wrong with it. 

I'll wait until it dies its inevitable death and a phoenix rises from the ashes.

Happy to criticise and question everything about speedway tho when you have no vested interest. Plum. 

• Like 1