British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

oldest rider to appear in one-off World Finals

I've been sitting in my anorak pondering this-any advance on Aub Lawson, born in 1915 he appeared in the 1959 Final.. Best I can come up with but there may be others. Any thoughts forumlanders?

• Like 1

I can think of Tommy Price who was born in 1911 and appeared in the 1954 World Final aged 43 so misses Aub's milestone by a year!

Should be easy enough to find out.  Must admit, Aub was the first one that sprang to mind...

Jack Parker was 45 when he appeared in the 1951 World Final.

4 minutes ago, norbold said:

Jack Parker was 45 when he appeared in the 1951 World Final.

I did think of Jack, but it is Aub Lawson. He was born 5 April, 1914, and was 46 years and 5 months when he rode in the 1960 final.

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, steve roberts said:

I can think of Tommy Price who was born in 1911 and appeared in the 1954 World Final aged 43 so misses Aub's milestone by a year!

Sorry to be pedantic, but he was born on 2 December 1911, so he was actually a mere youngster of 42 when he appeared in the 1954 final. Wilbur Lamoreaux was also 42 when he appeared in the 1949 final.

• Like 1

I of course screwed up- I forgot Aub was in the 1960 Final. I think though that in 1959 was when he finished in the top 3. I was going to ask who was the youngest-no contest there its got to be Ronnie Moore (I think)

8 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

I of course screwed up- I forgot Aub was in the 1960 Final. I think though that in 1959 was when he finished in the top 3. I was going to ask who was the youngest-no contest there its got to be Ronnie Moore (I think)

Sorry, BOBBATH, I hope I can put this delicately, but you've got Aub wrong again. It was 1958 when he came third!

I automatically thought of Jack Parker and Lammy. Both wrong :D

Thanks for pointing that out re Aub finishing  3rd was in 1958.  A most polite response Norbold, but you don't have to be delicate with me After all "I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK................".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

I automatically thought of Jack Parker and Lammy. Both wrong :D

Jack Parker finished 12th in one Wembley world final yet never took part in one race 

22 minutes ago, mickthemuppet said:

Jack Parker finished 12th in one Wembley world final yet never took part in one race 

Are you sure you don't mean 13th= - in 1936?

Good and bad news. In the latest edition of Tapes Up (WSRA newsletter), it was mentioned that Arthur Payne had just had his 98th birthday-so still  #1 on the oldest list. The bad news is that Derick Close recently passed away-also in his nineties. R.I.P. Derick. Guess we have another name now entering the 16 man (+ 2 reserves) list