British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August

9 minutes ago, scotty2hotty said:

Iainb, I really do think with your fountain of knowledge and your incredible vision of hindsight, that you should run a track yourself. You surely can't fail as you seem to know everything about running a speedway track and even merchandise sales. I'd do it if I were you, you surely can't go wrong.

Yes, because everybody else is doing so well at it aren't they? They've run it down to such a state that they can't afford to run a meeting based on a weather forecast 2 and a half days out, competing against a recordable TV programme showing foreign riders riding in a foreign country... they're doing everything right and should not be questioned or commented on. I'm referring to Eastbourne. 

As for Peterborough, they're clearly running in the wrong league

Edited by iainb

Just now, iainb said:

Yes, because everybody else is doing so well at it aren't they? They've run it down to such a state that they can't afford to run a meeting based on a weather forecast 2 and a half days out, competing against a recordable TV programme showing foreign riders riding in a foreign country... they're doing everything right and should not be questioned or commented on. 

As I said if you think you can do a better job, give it a go. I think you will find that running a speedway club is not as simple as you think. In fact, from experience, it is a thankless task, as there are always people on your back ready to put the boot in. Some people do nothing but criticise, they live for it. You would be totally amazed at what goes into putting a meeting on and the hurdles that have to be jumped over.  My father had to leave promoting because he got a stomach ulcer through the stress of it all.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, scotty2hotty said:

As I said if you think you can do a better job, give it a go. I think you will find that running a speedway club is not as simple as you think. In fact, from experience, it is a thankless task, as there are always people on your back ready to put the boot in. Some people do nothing but criticise, they live for it. You would be totally amazed at what goes into putting a meeting on and the hurdles that have to be jumped over.  My father had to leave promoting because he got a stomach ulcer through the stress of it all.

I wouldn't be so foolish as to "invest" my money in a business I had such little control over. 

1 minute ago, iainb said:

I wouldn't be so foolish as to "invest" my money in a business I had such little control over. 

Well luckily there are people 'foolish enough' or we wouldn't have any speedway to watch and I would be out of business!!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, scotty2hotty said:

Well luckily there are people 'foolish enough' or we wouldn't have any speedway to watch and I would be out of business!!

You'll be out of business soon enough at this rate... don't worry about that!

34 minutes ago, scotty2hotty said:

Iainb, I really do think with your fountain of knowledge and your incredible vision of hindsight, that you should run a track yourself. You surely can't fail as you seem to know everything about running a speedway track and even merchandise sales. I'd do it if I were you, you surely can't go wrong.

He's also expert in riding a speedway bike in the rain.  There's nothing he doesn't know. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iainb said:

You'll be out of business soon enough at this rate... don't worry about that!

That's cheerful...... Remind me just why you follow this forum?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

That's cheerful...... Remind me just why you follow this forum?

Just being a realist. You can't think everything with the sport is all A OK?

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

Just being a realist. You can't think everything with the sport is all A OK?

Certainly not, but I accept that certain aspects of the sport can't be changed immediately and need to be worked around to try and save the sport in the hope/expectation of better times ahead.

For example (not exhaustive): availability of riders, especially top riders; availability of rented stadiums; rider costs hence pay demands; club owners  subsidising clubs rather than making a handsome living from them (anyone remember Danny Dunton's gold Rolls Royce?).

Ultimately it all comes down to the (lack of) money in the sport, which precludes a lot of initiatives that might make the sport more viable.; such as cheaper admission, more races, better facilities, better merchandise, maybe even a practical way of covering the track to ensure an advertised meeting goes ahead.

• Like 1

Frankly even I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye. However it has just begun to rain here in Cambridge

6 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Certainly not, but I accept that certain aspects of the sport can't be changed immediately and need to be worked around to try and save the sport in the hope/expectation of better times ahead.

For example (not exhaustive): availability of riders, especially top riders; availability of rented stadiums; rider costs hence pay demands; club owners  subsidising clubs rather than making a handsome living from them (anyone remember Danny Dunton's gold Rolls Royce?).

Ultimately it all comes down to the (lack of) money in the sport, which precludes a lot of initiatives that might make the sport more viable.; such as cheaper admission, more races, better facilities, better merchandise, maybe even a practical way of covering the track to ensure an advertised meeting goes ahead.

Not forgetting the wasted opportunity provided by Skysports and their Elite League, or that we had Frost and Mahoney at the helm who had the money to do much of what you say is needed. These two should have upped the profile of the sport to take it to another level but both saw that aspects of the sport can't be changed full stop so it gets the product it deserves, which is ??? - well I'm sure that everyone has their own opinion.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Frankly even I suspect there is more to this than meets the eye. However it has just begun to rain here in Cambridge

If they still have to make a decision early to avoid rental charges then a decision has to be made based on the forecast which wasn't great although it looks like it make blow over with a little bit of wet stuff and not much more.

Another date could see Ostrich fit or a guest option but Lynn shouldn't have been a problem even with r/r.

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

He's also expert in riding a speedway bike in the rain.  There's nothing he doesn't know. 

And yet knowing everything he goes to Leicester to watch rubbish speedway.

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

If they still have to make a decision early to avoid rental charges then a decision has to be made based on the forecast which wasn't great although it looks like it make blow over with a little bit of wet stuff and not much more.

Another date could see Ostrich fit or a guest option but Lynn shouldn't have been a problem even with r/r.

I have no problem  with an early call off for economic reasons