British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August

45 minutes ago, JIROUT said:

Ian....Poland this year have twice cancelled matches on the Wednesday before the Sunday due to a weather forecast........I think you are being unfair to promoters..especially Eastbourne......If the forecast was scattered showers etc then they would try and get the meeting on no doubts....However the forecast all week has been bad for Thursday,Friday and Saturday....Thunder Storms...prolonged rain...high winds......Think how many people work at a Speedway Track on race night....How many people have to be told of a rain off.....I sometimes think you would be better off talking to a promoter and finding out just how difficult it is......Bit like track shops...Not quite as easy as you think

Christ I do admire your patience

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, JIROUT said:

Ian....Poland this year have twice cancelled matches on the Wednesday before the Sunday due to a weather forecast........I think you are being unfair to promoters..especially Eastbourne......If the forecast was scattered showers etc then they would try and get the meeting on no doubts....However the forecast all week has been bad for Thursday,Friday and Saturday....Thunder Storms...prolonged rain...high winds......Think how many people work at a Speedway Track on race night....How many people have to be told of a rain off.....I sometimes think you would be better off talking to a promoter and finding out just how difficult it is......Bit like track shops...Not quite as easy as you think

Like I said it's far easier for Poland to rearrange fixtures with them having first dibs on all riders, fixed race days and no doubling up. 

Take a look at the latest met office forecast for Eastbourne on Saturday night 

So now we're running a sport for the ease of the promoters?

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

I thought Mondays and Thursdays were protected days for the top league so they would get priority if some upstart Championships decided to jump on one of their days?

They are, but there are only so many left between now and the end of the season and with clubs calling matches off on a whim (forecast) the fixtures soon start to pile up. You then only need a rainy October and you're left in this situation

Below is what was cancelled in October 2019 due to actual real rain.

Premiership P/O SF
National League PO SF
British Youth Championship Round 7
National League Riders' Championship
Premiership P/O SF
Premiership Supporters Cup
Championship KO Cup Final
Premiership Grand Final.1
National League Grand Final.1
Championship Grand Final.1
Championship KO Cup Final
British Youth Championship
National League Grand Final.2
National League KOC Final

These should all have been plum events attracting big crowds yet were probably re-arranged on off race nights on wet tracks in front of inferior crowds

1 hour ago, Wee Eck said:

I thought Mondays and Thursdays were protected days for the top league so they would get priority if some upstart Championships decided to jump on one of their days?

They are.

For some reason IainB doesn’t understand that.

2 hours ago, marko said:

I think one of the reasons why the public are so cautious about travelling to meetings when its wet is because for many years, promoters have lied about the prospects of meetings going ahead, "we have had no rain here, the track is in excellent condition" but then you get their, and puddles are all around coupled with a wet track, and it has not just happened.

Promoters now are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if the weather does not come, will people actually believe them when they say "everything is ok"? reap what you sow etc

I think also folk are reluctant to turn up, pay to get in and then stand for hours watching remedial work because its rained and have riders standing around umming and ahhing about whether to ride or not, there is never any decisive action ir urgency. Paying supporters have been bottom of the priority list for many years unfortunately. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marko said:

I think one of the reasons why the public are so cautious about travelling to meetings when its wet is because for many years, promoters have lied about the prospects of meetings going ahead, "we have had no rain here, the track is in excellent condition" but then you get their, and puddles are all around coupled with a wet track, and it has not just happened.

Promoters now are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if the weather does not come, will people actually believe them when they say "everything is ok"? reap what you sow etc

With modern technology and the latest weather apps, fans can make their own decision on wether to travel. I always gamble with local tracks, but i rarely take a chance long distance. Birmingham on Wednesday, was a rare occasion when i did gamble. Luckily i got away with it.

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

I think also folk are reluctant to turn up, pay to get in and then stand for hours watching remedial work because its rained and have riders standing around umming and ahhing about whether to ride or not, there is never any decisive action ir urgency. Paying supporters have been bottom of the priority list for many years unfortunately. 

I think Promoters now fully understand that trying to get a fixture on as the weather conspires against them is not the way to go, attendance is always hit as supporters invariably don’t travel, if the weather is iffy.

Personally I would much sooner clubs call it off early if the forecast is dreadful and clearly most supporters support this course of action, as you say standing around for hours while track staff attempt to make the track race-able generally didn’t produce anything like a good meeting.

The cost saving for an early postponement is generally good as well, Of course their is always someone who doesn’t support this view but thankfully common sense prevails.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I think Promoters now fully understand that trying to get a fixture on as the weather conspires against them is not the way to go, attendance is always hit as supporters invariably don’t travel, if the weather is iffy.

Personally I would much sooner clubs call it off early if the forecast is dreadful and clearly most supporters support this course of action, as you say standing around for hours while track staff attempt to make the track race-able generally didn’t produce anything like a good meeting.

And yet the match before last where we had to wait for the tractors to do their stuff produced some cracking racing... and the meeting after on a beautiful summer's evening didn't produce one good race worthy of the name...

Go figure

2 minutes ago, iainb said:

And yet the match before last where we had to wait for the tractors to do their stuff produced some cracking racing... and the meeting after on a beautiful summer's evening didn't produce one good race worthy of the name...

Go figure

And right on queue there he is

Edited by bigcatdiary

12 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

And right on queue there he is

Tell me I'm wrong

Edited by iainb

Just now, iainb said:

Tell me I'm wrong

About everything or something specific:P

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Star Lady said:

About everything or something specific:P

We've already established that @bigcatdiary doesn't know what a good speedway race looks like. 

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

We've already established that @bigcatdiary doesn't know what a good speedway race looks like. 

That couldn’t be further from the truth :-)

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

How did we establish that?  Or is that just your opinion.

8 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

No Dave, if you look at IainB,s earlier post that was his quote of racing at Leicester

42 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

That couldn’t be further from the truth :-)

39 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

How did we establish that?  Or is that just your opinion.