British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Like I said it's far easier for Poland to rearrange fixtures with them having first dibs on all riders, fixed race days and no doubling up. 

Take a look at the latest met office forecast for Eastbourne on Saturday night 

So now we're running a sport for the ease of the promoters?

Iainb....At the end of the day the promoters are the people who have put the money in to run the clubs,so they have to do the best for the club...fans...riders...staff etc......As a matter of interest if Leicester were riding at Eastbourne tomorrow....1.Would you travel...and 2.If it was rained off at 7pm when you arrived in the stadium after it had been raining all the way there ,would you complain...and would you do the same thing next time you were at Eastbourne ??

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JIROUT said:

Iainb....At the end of the day the promoters are the people who have put the money in to run the clubs,so they have to do the best for the club...fans...riders...staff etc......As a matter of interest if Leicester were riding at Eastbourne tomorrow....1.Would you travel...and 2.If it was rained off at 7pm when you arrived in the stadium after it had been raining all the way there ,would you complain...and would you do the same thing next time you were at Eastbourne ??

Funnily enough... been there done that when I used to follow Cov, turned round at Gatwick, not ideal but something I accept as a Speedway fan with actual real rain... you know the wet stuff that falls from the skies :lol:

Year before last... turned around at Carlisle when the Glasgow v Leicester final was called off due to wet rain, had the journey back in the Friday rush... then went again on the Tuesday!

Once did a Good Friday a number of years back... KL in the morning, Cancelled, Ippo in the afternoon, heavens opened in the car park, off to Arena for an evening kick off, cancelled, went for Peterborough on the way home, rained off!!

I'll never forget that day!

Edited by iainb

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

Funnily enough... been there done that when I used to follow Cov, turned round at Gatwick, not ideal but something I accept as a Speedway fan with actual real rain... you know the wet stuff that falls from the skies :lol:

Year before last... turned around at Carlisle when the Glasgow v Leicester final was called off due to wet rain, had the journey back in the Friday rush... then went again on the Tuesday!

I remember one year when we done the Belle Vue Track Shop.....We travelled 8 times in a season from our base in Ipswich....set up and got rained off before a wheel had turned....While this is part of the job......it did get a touch tedious after a while...That was our last season at Belle Vue

I once had 3 consecutives to Coventry each one rained off  and 2 to Poole rained off

10 minutes ago, JIROUT said:

I remember one year when we done the Belle Vue Track Shop.....We travelled 8 times in a season from our base in Ipswich....set up and got rained off before a wheel had turned....While this is part of the job......it did get a touch tedious after a while...That was our last season at Belle Vue

Manchester does have a reputation for a reason :D

Put the sawdust down, riders don the overalls

On with the racing!

• Haha 2

Just now, Midland Red said:

On with the racing!

I remember Les Collins donning his overalls at Blackbird Road and breaking the track record in heat 1

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

On with the racing!

Ah, good old sawdust!! I remember they had to put sawdust down at Coventry vs Poole ko cup final 2003. Literally the best comeback of all time for Poole!! If that was this season probably would get rained off in the morning of the meeting!

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Once did a Good Friday a number of years back... KL in the morning, Cancelled, Ippo in the afternoon, heavens opened in the car park, off to Arena for an evening kick off, cancelled, went for Peterborough on the way home, rained off!!

I'll never forget that day!

Why can’t you get it? (Oh no! I sound like Wolfie). The days of Dave Allen riding in his overalls on sawdust are long gone. Not exactly entertainment.  Many clubs are on life support and have no choice but to rely on weather forecasts. A last minute or early heat call off could be so critical for most clubs. I agree it’s a pi$$ poor business model but in your opinion of keeping it on until the last minute is unfortunately not where we are. If the forecast is bad, it would cut income considerably. 

Your examples don’t support your stance. Would you really travel many miles for a meeting given a dreadful forecast? 

9 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Why can’t you get it? (Oh no! I sound like Wolfie). The days of Dave Allen riding in his overalls on sawdust are long gone. Not exactly entertainment.  Many clubs are on life support and have no choice but to rely on weather forecasts. A last minute or early heat call off could be so critical for most clubs. I agree it’s a pi$$ poor business model but in your opinion of keeping it on until the last minute is unfortunately not where we are. If the forecast is bad, it would cut income considerably. 

Your examples don’t support your stance. Would you really travel many miles for a meeting given a dreadful forecast? 

I refer you to my previous answers

11 minutes ago, iainb said:

I refer you to my previous answers

Thus proving yesterday’s decisions the logical call. 

8 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Thus proving yesterday’s decisions the logical call. 

What you (and others) don't seem to be able to get is that you can't run 2 leagues of teams in this country when they're allowed to call meetings off 3 days in advance based on a weather forecast without penalty. 

Whether the decision was right or wrong is irrelevant really

Edited by iainb

13 minutes ago, iainb said:

What you (and others) don't seem to be able to get is that you can't run 2 leagues of teams in this country when they're allowed to call meetings off 3 days in advance based on a weather forecast without penalty. 

Whether the decision was right or wrong is irrelevant really

You have moaned about all same day call offs. Now your gripe is deflected towards the Eastbourne early decision. To which I can understand. Very different to midday call offs based on persistent rain forecasts.

3 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

You have moaned about all same day call offs. Now your gripe is deflected towards the Eastbourne early decision. To which I can understand. Very different to midday call offs based on persistent rain forecasts.

If you'd read my original comments you'd see that I said as much as I dislike forecasted postponements I'll have to accept that they are now part of modern day speedway. I don't think any match should be called off until the day of the event though

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

If you'd read my original comments you'd see that I said as much as I dislike forecasted postponements I'll have to accept that they are now part of modern day speedway. I don't think any match should be called off until the day of the event though

image.jpeg.185367647269e42ee0f8d3e92e0ebfd4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3