British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August

I think this was a good call. I’m 400 metres from the track and we’ve had two lengthy periods of heavy rain between 4:30 and 6:30, and it has also been constant drizzle since 7:45.

59 minutes ago, iainb said:

They could be riding away, they could be riding in a rearranged fixture due to one of their own postponements or they could be riding away due to another clubs cancellations. 

This is not just a Peterborough problem, anytime any match is postponed it has knock on ramifications. 

Looking out of the window it has been a magnificent decision by Peterboro and Ipswich....Saved lots of peoples time and money....

Weird because I'm at Stanground and there hasn't been a drop of rain since I been home at 6..oh well il have to travel to the fruit n veg picking capital of the world next week now to see the mighty Panthers turn them over there instead.

9 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Just arrived at the Showground.

Not much happening.

And that's just in your head.

15 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Just arrived at the Showground.

Not much happening.

Go and have a pint with chrismorton.

He is the one stood next to you in the queue.. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, iainb said:

If you're going to talk about me, at least have the decency to @ me so I can know

When you see Speedway like that there's not a lot wrong with the sport is there? It's a good job the forecast was a good one on the Thursday :lol:

If you could guarantee a race like that once a meeting instead of once a season, I suggest there would be far more people on the terraces.

To be honest, although I don't like it, I'm not so concerned about the Peterborough postponement... The Eastbourne one does worry me though, just because mystic meg has seen some cows sitting down in a field and the "promoter" has leafed through the radio times they've postponed the match. This sets a dangerous precedent in my opinion. Matches never used to be called off based on forecasts, now they are with more regularity, and now 2 and half days ahead of start time. The BSPL should not allow clubs to call meetings off until the day of staging without penalty, probably a match forfeit. It causes fixture congestion not just for the home side but the away side also and with riders doubling up and stadium availability there are limited opportunities to restage matches on regular race nights... even with a 6 team league in Peterborough's case.

How early is too early to call a match off based on a weather forecast? At the moment it's 2 and a half days... next a week?

Some clubs don't seem to want to go to any effort to get matches on these days, gone are the days of packing the track down to take the rain, working it after rain has passed and spreading sawdust to soak up the moisture if it was particularly wet.

Iain the problem with the clubs appearing to not want to go to any effort to get the meeting on, is not so much about getting the meeting on, its about who will come if they do get it on? A lot of people will simply not bother going if they think there is a liklihood of a postponement once they get there. And also, who wants to watch riders sliding around, not being able to see, basically a processional mud fest?  This is one of the reasons Ian Jordan at Eastbourne gave. He said that last weeks meeting was the lowest gate since that promotion had been there and why? Because there was rain all around, which had been forecast and people simply didn't bother to risk it, coupled with the GP on the telly, it was an easy decision for a lot of folk. And who can blame them?  There are other race nights, hopefully barmy warm evenings, where the crowd would be much more healthy and the conditions fantastic for some good racing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scotty2hotty said:

Iain the problem with the clubs appearing to not want to go to any effort to get the meeting on, is not so much about getting the meeting on, its about who will come if they do get it on? A lot of people will simply not bother going if they think there is a liklihood of a postponement once they get there. And also, who wants to watch riders sliding around, not being able to see, basically a processional mud fest?  This is one of the reasons Ian Jordan at Eastbourne gave. He said that last weeks meeting was the lowest gate since that promotion had been there and why? Because there was rain all around, which had been forecast and people simply didn't bother to risk it, coupled with the GP on the telly, it was an easy decision for a lot of folk. And who can blame them?  There are other race nights, hopefully barmy warm evenings, where the crowd would be much more healthy and the conditions fantastic for some good racing.

Yes, I totally get what you're saying. I was brought up in an era of speedway when clubs tried all they could to get meetings on, so all this canceling based on forecasts, as I've said before especially in this country, I don't like to see. Speedway is always at the mercy of the weather, we all know that but the Eastbourne postponement takes things to a new level. I was looking at my met office app at 7pm and it said the sun would be shining at 8... it p1ssed it down!

As Eastbourne have set a new precedent in calling a match off 2 and a half days in advance, would anybody who does think that cancelling based on a forecast is acceptable care to comment on how far in advance it is acceptable to call a match off?

I do accept with current crowd levels it's something that's now part and parcel of speedway, much as I dislike it, surely you've got to leave it to the day of the event to give yourself a chance. And if you think you can't compete against a TV programme unfortunately there really is no hope for the future of a club in that promoters hands. 

Just my opinion

Edited by iainb

Early and tactical call offs used to annoy me, but now i take it in my stride. I was planning to go to Eastbourne on Saturday, but will now go to local non league football instead. I might see some amateur speedway at Lydd on Sunday, if the weather behaves itself.

1 hour ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Just bumped into Trevor Swales.

He says it will be a delayed start.

Are you on the same planet as rest of us :rofl:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iainb said:

They could be riding away, they could be riding in a rearranged fixture due to one of their own postponements or they could be riding away due to another clubs cancellations. 

This is not just a Peterborough problem, anytime any match is postponed it has knock on ramifications. 

Not in the UK, that's the whole point of fixed race-nights and the only realistic way doubling-up can work at all.....

5 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

Not in the UK, that's the whole point of fixed race-nights and the only realistic way doubling-up can work at all.....

If every club starts to call off based on forecasts, which you find acceptable, to only run on a night when the forecast is favourable, there's only going to be a limited number of acceptable nights for any club to run and that leads to fixture chaos

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, iainb said:

If every club starts to call off based on forecasts, which you find acceptable, to only run on a night when the forecast is favourable, there's only going to be a limited number of acceptable nights for any club to run and that leads to fixture chaos

As far as I am concerned the cancellation was a good call, although probably an easier decision in view of both clubs under same ownership. As far as race nights are concerned it is Hobsons choice having sold our souls to Poland

33 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

As far as I am concerned the cancellation was a good call, although probably an easier decision in view of both clubs under same ownership. As far as race nights are concerned it is Hobsons choice having sold our souls to Poland

There's only Jack Holder who rides Ekstraliga isn't there? Race nights, like Neil Watson has said,  its to enable doubling up. But if postponing on forecasts becomes common place there's no way other clubs will be able to complete their fixtures

Edited by iainb