British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bigcatdiary

Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August

This thread has got more pages than if the meeting had gone ahead, the future of Speedway

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

This thread has got more pages than if the meeting had gone ahead, the future of Speedway

tenor.gif

This thread has only taken off since Michael Fish joined in the conversation .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

No Dave, if you look at IainB,s earlier post that was his quote of racing at Leicester

I've said before, if you're going to quote me have the decency to @ me. If you don't think that was a good Speedway race you don't like Speedway! That was a better race than anything served up in the gate and go fest of Peterborough's last home match... which was so long ago I can't even remember who it was against.

... And I'm still waiting for anybody to suggest a cut off time of how early it is acceptable to call a Speedway match off based on a weather forecast.

Edited by iainb

22 minutes ago, iainb said:

I've said before, if you're going to quote me have the decency to @ me. If you don't think that was a good Speedway race you don't like Speedway! That was a better race than anything served up in the gate and go fest of Peterborough's last home match... which was so long ago I can't even remember who it was against.

... And I'm still waiting for anybody to suggest a cut off time of how early it is acceptable to call a Speedway match off based on a weather forecast.

48/72 hours can be justified depending on the forecast and other associated local administrative issues. That doesn't mean that it's right and should be seen as a normal course of action because the first priority is to make sure that the fixture goes ahead if possible. I can't speak for speedway generally, if that's what you're getting at, but Peterborough have had to make a call a few times this season and based on the available evidence at the time they did what they had to do without the benefit of hindsight.

2 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

48/72 hours can be justified depending on the forecast and other associated local administrative issues. That doesn't mean that it's right and should be seen as a normal course of action because the first priority is to make sure that the fixture goes ahead if possible. I can't speak for speedway generally, if that's what you're getting at, but Peterborough have had to make a call a few times this season and based on the available evidence at the time they did what they had to do without the benefit of hindsight.

3 days out in a country notorious for its inclement weather, Wow! You'd never get a season completed if every club were allowed to do this unless they were to forfeit the match.

4 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

It is a weird contradiction in terms isnt it?

Promoters spend all kinds of time, trying to get meetings on at any cost, using often random septets after lengthy scrutinising of averages and riders' performances at either their own track or the track they visit, ringing round to check availability of riders, moving fixtures around to accommodate rider's other commitments, even if it means their crowd potential isnt maximised..

Almost like "come hell or high water, we will run"..

Then call off meetings days in advance...

Damned if they do, and damned if they dont, I suppose..

And a thankless task in so many ways as what they then present, due to their very own operating infrastructure, simply isnt then taken seriously by enough people to part with hard cash..

So much effort for so little reward. (But it also has to be said that 'little reward' is often the result of their own self inflicted issues)...

A very strange way to run any business never mind a "professional national sport"..

However, that is probably down in many ways to it being ran by "well meaning amatuers" who are fans of that club first and foremost and prepared to put money (and lots of it), in to see their club thrive/survive...

Rather than being ran by clear headed sports administrators who have zero emotional involvement, and would ensure so much of the nonsense that pervades wouldnt be allowed to take place, and that clubs were "saved from themselves" by way of financial controls..

Difficult to see a way out without true radical change is it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Difficult to see a way out without true radical change is it?

The way out is for the cancelling club to forfeit the match 0-75, 4 league points to the opposition if called off more than a specified time before the event.

33 minutes ago, iainb said:

3 days out in a country notorious for its inclement weather, Wow! You'd never get a season completed if every club were allowed to do this unless they were to forfeit the match.

Which bit of exception and not the norm don't you understand. It's not about allowing, it's an attempt at an explanation that you said that you wanted. Get all promoters to evidence and justify their call off decisions to the powers that be and then they can decide a way forward.

6 minutes ago, Crump99 said:

Which bit of exception and not the norm don't you understand. It's not about allowing, it's an attempt at an explanation that you said that you wanted. Get all promoters to evidence and justify their call off decisions to the powers that be and then they can decide a way forward.

I understand both exception and norm. At the moment as I see it there is no rule, so a club can cancel a meeting at the drop of a hat, it might work for them but what about the away team? Look at Eastbourne vs Birmingham, what if this cancelled fixture is the deciding factor in whether Birmingham make the play-offs and survive as a club? What if other clubs take a leaf out of Eastbourne's book and don't want to host Birmingham? So without some kind of forfeiture this could well become the norm and not an exception.

Edited by iainb

Poole are hosting Birmingham during the August BH if I remember correctly. Only the weather will stop that one as they will want to make the most of the tourists in the area!!

1 hour ago, iainb said:

I understand both exception and norm. At the moment as I see it there is no rule, so a club can cancel a meeting at the drop of a hat, it might work for them but what about the away team? Look at Eastbourne vs Birmingham, what if this cancelled fixture is the deciding factor in whether Birmingham make the play-offs and survive as a club? What if other clubs take a leaf out of Eastbourne's book and don't want to host Birmingham? So without some kind of forfeiture this could well become the norm and not an exception.

Although looks like Birmingham are extending the season as on the Poole website it says we are there on 31/12/21!!! They can't mean the 31st Sept either. So I'm assuming it's 30th Sept!

Anyway back to Peterborough vs KL.

31/12/21 - 19:30
Perry Barr Stadium
Edited by lisa-colette

17 hours ago, iainb said:

They could be riding away, they could be riding in a rearranged fixture due to one of their own postponements or they could be riding away due to another clubs cancellations. 

This is not just a Peterborough problem, anytime any match is postponed it has knock on ramifications. 

I thought Mondays and Thursdays were protected days for the top league so they would get priority if some upstart Championships decided to jump on one of their days?

I think one of the reasons why the public are so cautious about travelling to meetings when its wet is because for many years, promoters have lied about the prospects of meetings going ahead, "we have had no rain here, the track is in excellent condition" but then you get their, and puddles are all around coupled with a wet track, and it has not just happened.

Promoters now are stuck between a rock and a hard place, if the weather does not come, will people actually believe them when they say "everything is ok"? reap what you sow etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Wee Eck said:

I thought Mondays and Thursdays were protected days for the top league so they would get priority if some upstart Championships decided to jump on one of their days?

I thought they meant the other way round. If Peterborough run out of Mondays and Thursdays and needed to run on a Sunday for example. Championship have more days available, so wouldn't have thought they need to use a Monday or Thursday!

3 hours ago, iainb said:

Ian....Poland this year have twice cancelled matches on the Wednesday before the Sunday due to a weather forecast........I think you are being unfair to promoters..especially Eastbourne......If the forecast was scattered showers etc then they would try and get the meeting on no doubts....However the forecast all week has been bad for Thursday,Friday and Saturday....Thunder Storms...prolonged rain...high winds......Think how many people work at a Speedway Track on race night....How many people have to be told of a rain off.....I sometimes think you would be better off talking to a promoter and finding out just how difficult it is......Bit like track shops...Not quite as easy as you think

• Like 6