British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds vs Poole + Plymouth Sun 8 Aug 4pm

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Felt sorry for the lad who was leading heat 2 against Poole and in for a point against Plymouth before falling. Good luck to the lad and glad nothing is broken. He will be scoring his first points for his club soon.

That was Archie who I referred to before the meeting. 16 and gating getting better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

I heard yesterday that Newcastle can only used British riders due to Brexit. The promotion cannot bring in foreign riders due to the business being less than 1 year old. New brexit red tape.

Not entirely true. Yes they cannot bring in any foreign rider who hasn't previously rode in this country, but they can sign anyone who is/has already ridden here. For example, they could have signed Troy Batchelor when he was available if circumstances permitted. They also had the Dane Claus Vissing as their number 1 before they decided to dispense with his services a month or so before the season. That had nothing to do with brexit. We have effectively swapped Claus for Archie, so it's little surprise that we are struggling. No disrespect to the young lad who has a promising future ahead of him.

2 minutes ago, leander said:

Not entirely true. Yes they cannot bring in any foreign rider who hasn't previously rode in this country, but they can sign anyone who is/has already ridden here. For example, they could have signed Troy Batchelor when he was available if circumstances permitted. They also had the Dane Claus Vissing as their number 1 before they decided to dispense with his services a month or so before the season. That had nothing to do with brexit. 

But it does substantially reduce their options. For example Benjamin Basso and other rising Danish stars would appear to be ruled out.

2 minutes ago, arnieg said:

But it does substantially reduce their options. For example Benjamin Basso and other rising Danish stars would appear to be ruled out.

True. but the reason given for Vissing's release was they couldn't afford to fly him in and out of the country. So that rules everybody based in europe out (even if they are British!)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arnieg said:

He is going to be a top rider some day. He's like a clean Nicki. :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, leander said:

True. but the reason given for Vissing's release was they couldn't afford to fly him in and out of the country. So that rules everybody based in europe out (even if they are British!)

Well that would make sense.

1 hour ago, leander said:

Thats not true... and on Vissing it had nothing to do with not being able to fly Claus in and out of the country so where you got that information from? Or are you just making it up?

Claus couldn't commit to Newcastle because he didn't have a second team over here to ride for... furthermore it was cheaper getting him here from Europe than it is for getting some of our other riders in this country to Newcastle...

No one in Europe is ruled out on cost...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Thats not true... and on Vissing it had nothing to do with not being able to fly Claus in and out of the country so where you got that information from? Or are you just making it up?

Claus couldn't commit to Newcastle because he didn't have a second team over here to ride for... furthermore it was cheaper getting him here from Europe than it is for getting some of our other riders in this country to Newcastle...

No one in Europe is ruled out on cost...

Regards 

THJ

Newcastle Speedway website in April :- “Regrettably we have had to let Claus Vissing go, as we simply do not know what the travel restrictions are going to be, and with the guy expecting to travel a lot, it could have caused major issues for availability and push the travel costs very high indeed. Looks like travel costs were an issue to me!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leander said:

Newcastle Speedway website in April :- “Regrettably we have had to let Claus Vissing go, as we simply do not know what the travel restrictions are going to be, and with the guy expecting to travel a lot, it could have caused major issues for availability and push the travel costs very high indeed. Looks like travel costs were an issue to me!  

They weren't for the club as the deal had been done... and Claus wouldn't comitt to Newcastle and said his Danish team would come first unless he got a second British club... he wanted to come in and out of the country as per the old days... pre Brexit...  which at that time would have meant that his availability could not be guarenteed... there was also other outside interference that dictated the action taken... if you were aware of the European riders this promotion have approached you would be astounded...

They have tried for six Scandinavians and five British based riders (in the last 6 weeks) all to no avail and cost has never come into the mix... neither wages or travel expenses... there's one thing for sure this guy pays his riders as per contract unlike the previous shower who run the spot... who still owed money to 4 of the 7 at the end of their last season and left this promotion to pay the bill...

It's just another sorry saga in Diamonds history that this new promotion have had to contend with but with the support that come to the for this weekend hopefully Rob will feel revitalised from the good will and support he received and he carries on fighting the good fight...

The show of support on Sunday was absolutely fantastic just a pity the team couldn't rise to the challenge and my only wish would have been to race against Plymouth first then Poole and although I still think Poole would have been good for the points it would have been a bit closer (and two heats shorter) but never mind it was a fantastic turn out...

Just need half of those in attendance this week to come back next week and build from there and it will be a different story next year that's for sure... although three quarters would be better...

Regards 

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Edited for accuracy
  • Like 7

Interesting that @chris4gillian has nothing to say about Bowtell's score for Poole compared to ZK score for Plymouth! Totally gained from that! Only meeting we missed him since he left is prob at Berwick.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, lisa-colette said:

Interesting that @chris4gillian has nothing to say about Bowtell's score for Poole compared to ZK score for Plymouth! Totally gained from that! Only meeting we missed him since he left is prob at Berwick.

If only there was a 'yawn' emoji :D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, lisa-colette said:

Not going to get into your spat but Zane Keleher was the worst rider of 20 there by the proverbial. Regardless of the behind the scenes issue he would have been out by now from his on track riding.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

They weren't for the club as the deal had been done... and Claus wouldn't comitt to Newcastle and said his Danish team would come first unless he got a second British club... he wanted to come in and out of the country as per the old days... pre Brexit...  which at that time would have meant that his availability could not be guarenteed... there was also other outside interference that dictated the action taken... if you were aware of the European riders this promotion have approached you would be astounded...

They have tried for six Scandinavians and five British based riders (in the last 6 weeks) all to no avail and cost has never come into the mix... neither wages or travel expenses... there's one thing for sure this guy pays his riders as per contract unlike the previous shower who run the spot... who still owed money to 4 of the 7 at the end of their last season and left this promotion to pay the bill...

It's just another sorry saga in Diamonds history that this new promotion have had to contend with but with the support that come to the for this weekend hopefully Rob will feel revitalised from the good will and support he received and he carries on fighting the good fight...

The show of support on Sunday was absolutely fantastic just a pity the team couldn't rise to the challenge and my only wish would have been to race against Plymouth first then Poole and although I still think Poole would have been good for the points it would have been a bit closer (and two heats shorter) but never mind it was a fantastic turn out...

Just need half of those in attendance this week to come back next week and build from there and it will be a different story next year that's for sure... although three quarters would be better...

Regards 

THJ

Would be interested to know who all of these riders we have approached are? Just out of curiosity more than anything, always nice to know what's happened

8 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Not going to get into your spat but Zane Keleher was the worst rider of 20 there by the proverbial. Regardless of the behind the scenes issue he would have been out by now from his on track riding.

On his away form I'd completely agree but at Plymouth he's done well, that would keep him in the side. Besides Plymouth have far more pressing concerns with Ruml. He has been shocking pretty much ever since we signed him and I'd much rather have kept Goret, who in my opinion has a much higher ceiling. I appreciate there may have been other issues with that one. I get it's his first year in British speedway and all that but enough is enough.

20 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ

I seem to remember an interview with Claus in the Speedway Star at the tome (or maybe it was a twitter post from him on the now removed Newcastle thread on here) where he was quoted as saying that he sympathised with Newcastle's decision to release him, he was disappointed and couldn't understand why they left it so late, giving him little opportunity to find another club. He says' they could have told him in January that they COULDN'T AFFORD him, so that he could look somewhere else. So I wouldn't say that he couldn't commit to Newcastle.

In the same Official Newcastle Statement Rob also mentions the need to reduce overheads for this season. As a business man you should know that your biggest expenditure is nearly always staff wages. Newcastle have had the proverbial "Begging Bowl"  out twice this season already, and we're only halfway through, so to imply that wage and travel costs aren't an issue is just rubbish. If we've tried to sign ELEVEN riders in the last six weeks then I would say that wages and travel costs very probably do come into it to some greater or lesser degree. 

You can believe what you want to believe, and I'll believe what I read in official statements and press releases.

In other words we'll just have to agree to disagree.