British Speedway Forum
MartinBSN

Birmingham & Newcastle deadline

Havent the BSPL got a load of Speedway bikes they could flog that they bought a couple of years ago?...

19 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not really fraud if you've taken a loan and are unable to pay it back because your business isn't viable. It's what the banks write off as bad debt

It's called playing the system

You obviously haven’t got a clue have you? 

You should be a speedway promoter.

Edited by Diamondboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Havent the BSPL got a load of Speedway bikes they could flog that they bought a couple of years ago?...

who on earth is going to buy a speedway bike now ?  not many tracks are going to be open to have a spin on .

i was not in the loop about Newcastle and Birmingham being in trouble .. 

as was mentioned before , its a £10 sport all day long . if riders want to make a killing while doing the sport . go and ride in another Country that can afford your demands .

7 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Should these clubs be given a deadline to decide whether they're continuing the full season or not?

Whilst I feel sorry for both clubs being in the position they are, every meeting the run with this hanging over their heads is also costing the away team for a fixture that may just be cancelled.

That, along with the looking transfer deadline day, close after 31st and the riders have lost any chance of earning wages for other clubs

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here but the second and third paragraphs make me think that for the good of the sport (as you see it, perhaps) those in trouble should be put to sleep now.

I'm also not sure where your "Marshall07" name comes from but assume it's the year of your birth... although I know 14 year olds who get the point more than you seem to be able to manage, however old you are.

It's like this: generally putting a licence on ice is euthanasia. Withdrawal from a league before the end of a season is usually fatal. You airily talk about deadlines... once clubs go they often don't come back. 

Give your head a shake.

Edited by Terrace Grumbler
Spelling - again
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

You obviously haven’t got a clue have you? 

You should be a speedway promoter.

Yes all these speedway promoters are fine upstanding members of the business community. 

Why as a failing business would you not take £300k of government money?

Many thousands of businesses have with no intention of paying it back. 

In fact it may be a blessing in disguise if clubs and the sport as a whole is run by administrators!

18 minutes ago, iainb said:

Yes all these speedway promoters are fine upstanding members of the business community. 

Why as a failing business would you not take £300k of government money?

Many thousands of businesses have with no intention of paying it back. 

In fact it may be a blessing in disguise if clubs and the sport as a whole is run by administrators!

Where have you got £300k from ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

These are loans that have to be paid back... why would anyone in Speedway take a one on... they would never make the money to pay it back... 

Borrow money to put on Speedway where there is a risk that Covid has killed off half your audience so even less chance of paying it back...

Promoters are blowing their brains our now do you want them in a noose as well just in case they miss...

It works for a small builder or the like because they continue to earn once the restrictions are lifted so can pay back the loan... where do these promoters get the cash from...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here but the second and third paragraphs make me think that for the good of the sport (as you see it, perhaps) those in trouble should be put to sleep now.

I'm also not sure where your "Marshall07" name comes from but assume it's the year of your birth... although I know 14 year olds who get the point more than you seem to be able to manage, however old you are.

It's like this: generally putting a licence on ice is euthanasia. Withdrawal from a league before the end of a season is usually fatal. You airily talk about deadlines... once clubs go they often don't come back. 

Give your head a shake.

Interesting that you went with an insult after I simply raised a question to spark debate which I assumed is what this forum is for...?

I fully understand closing a club during the season is disastrous. I'm asking what people's opinions are of the time scale to call it quits. Riders turning up each week with no idea if their job will still be there the next, away teams spending money on wages (that they could probably do without) on someone else's attempt to save a failing business.

No need to try insult me, regardless of my age (I am much older than 14 but it wouldn't matter if I wasn't!).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

These are loans that have to be paid back... why would anyone in Speedway take a one on... they would never make the money to pay it back... 

Borrow money to put on Speedway where there is a risk that Covid has killed off half your audience so even less chance of paying it back...

Promoters are blowing their brains our now do you want the in a noose as well just in case they miss...

It works for a small builder or the like because they continue to earn once the restrictions are lifted so can pay back the loan... where do these promoters get the cash from...

Regards 

THJ 

What else are they gong to do? They don't seem to be able to promote their way out of the situation or organise their way out of the situation. Maybe the way out of the situation is to take the money,  run until bankrupt and then let administrators restructure the sport to make it viable. It's crazy I'm even suggesting it, I know, but what else is the sport gong to do? Remove the green helmet colour? Reintroduce the 6 point tac sub rule? Stop riders getting off their bikes at the starting line... etc. etc.

It'll never happen if course, I know it won't, there's not the collective spirit to play the system

8 hours ago, Marshall07 said:

Should these clubs be given a deadline to decide whether they're continuing the full season or not?

Whilst I feel sorry for both clubs being in the position they are, every meeting they run with this hanging over their heads is also costing the away team for a fixture that may just be cancelled.

That, along with the looming transfer deadline day, closes after 31st and the riders have lost any chance of earning wages for other clubs

But that works both ways M.07 Newcastle have run in away fixtures at Glasgow and Edinburgh with the home meetings still to do.... so RG has paid travel tyres insurance and wages for these two meetings and doesnt get any return on that outlay until they come to Brough... so those clubs have benefited and would save on their away obligations...

Think the transfer deadline day is the 28th this year (maybe not) however what loyalty do riders normally give to clubs... it's mercenary in the sport these days... and are you not being a bit mercenary yourself here M.07 as Redcar are on the lookout for a rider? Bit jiggery pokery and get Riss back in again? However if it goes past the cut off date Redcar will be stuck with R/R? Just sayin like... casting envious eyes at Brum and rather than see them stumble on until past the cut off date and then fold apply the coup de gras now and pick over the bones...

Never mind hopefully both clubs can hang on at least til September and if they do go pop... well Schmitt Happens... they wont be the first and they wont be the last its hapoened before and its not intentional...

Regards 

THJ

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iainb said:

Maybe the way out of the situation is to take the money,  run until bankrupt and then let administrators restructure the sport to make it viable. It's crazy I'm even suggesting it, I know, but what else is the sport gong to do?

Then "go to gaol go directly to gaol do not pass go and do not collect 200 pound" because the next thing we will be hearing is people getting locked up for doing exactly what you are suggesting...

It's a good idea in a soap opera like "Shameless" but honestly Iain not in the real world...

Although the way Speedway is going it is turning into a bit of a soap opera when you think about it...

Regards 

THJ

21 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

Interesting that you went with an insult after I simply raised a question to spark debate which I assumed is what this forum is for...?

I fully understand closing a club during the season is disastrous. I'm asking what people's opinions are of the time scale to call it quits. Riders turning up each week with no idea if their job will still be there the next, away teams spending money on wages (that they could probably do without) on someone else's attempt to save a failing business.

No need to try insult me, regardless of my age (I am much older than 14 but it wouldn't matter if I wasn't!).

I'm getting a little short on tolerance for what seem to me to be negative and snide posts on here from people who appear to think they're masters of wit and repartee.

By all means have all the debates of the sort you seem to want, but it may be that by the time you've finished and look up, we'll be left with an amateur sport in this country - although there could still be lots of deadlines in that, I suppose..

9 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

But that works both ways M.07 Newcastle have run in away fixtures at Glasgow and Edinburgh with the home meetings still to do.... so RG has paid travel tyres insurance and wages for these two meetings and doesnt get any return on that outlay until they come to Brough... so those clubs have benefited and would save on their away obligations...

Think the transfer deadline day is the 28th this year (maybe not) however what loyalty do riders normally give to clubs... it's mercenary in the sport these days... and are you not being a bit mercenary yourself here M.07 as Redcar are on the lookout for a rider? Bit jiggery pokery and get Riss back in again? However if it goes past the cut off date Redcar will be stuck with R/R? Just sayin like... casting envious eyes at Brum and rather than see them stumble on until past the cut off date and then fold apply the coup de gras now and pick over the bones...

Never mind hopefully both clubs can hang on at least til September and if they do go pop... well Schmitt Happens... they wont be the first and they wont be the last its hapoened before and its not intentional...

Regards 

THJ

That's a fair point I hadn't actually thought about the away meetings Newcastle had done with no return yet.

The debate was raised without Redcar in mind actually as we've ridden at both already when these fears weren't public, although we do have another visit to Birmingham to come!

It would be the Birmingham riders I'd feel more sorry for, having been delayed in beginning too!

1 minute ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Then "go to gaol go directly to gaol do not pass go and do not collect 200 pound" because the next thing we will be hearing is people getting locked up for doing exactly what you are suggesting...

It's a good idea in a soap opera like "Shameless" but honestly Iain not in the real world...

Although the way Speedway is going it is turning into a bit of a soap opera when you think about it...

Regards 

THJ

I don't see how you can go to jail for your limited company not being able to pay a loan back. The whole point of a limited company is the limited liability of the directors... which is why so many directors will be taking loans, paying themselves a handsome salary and then declaring bankruptcy. The government will end up writing all that debt off