British Speedway Forum
MartinBSN

Birmingham & Newcastle deadline

17 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

it's where I will retire to...

Regards 

THJ

and when will that be and, does it mean you'll be on here even more? ;)

Hey, have you been watching 'The Lake District Farm Shop'?,,, a think it's great telly for a Saturday evening. 

23 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

and when will that be and, does it mean you'll be on here even more? ;)

Hey, have you been watching 'The Lake District Farm Shop'?,,, a think it's great telly for a Saturday evening. 

Haha no I will be on here less because I can't get a signal where I am on the harbour... av got to walk into the middle of the street out the back to take a phone call... an av seen that Farm Shop Programme and met the family who run the place as it happens as an old pal of mine used to supply all of their milk a few year back when they first kicked off but not now and they have forgot their roots a little since it's took off...

Regards 

THJ 

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Here now... and every weekend... and any other time I'm not working... it's where I will retire to...

Regards 

THJ

Thought you'd had already retired, as you seem to have plenty of time to write on here all the time :)

38 minutes ago, Neila said:

Thought you'd had already retired, as you seem to have plenty of time to write on here all the time :)

No a could do more... honest...

Regards 

THJ

53 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

No a could do more... honest...

Regards 

THJ

We need a bigger server! 

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Here now... and every weekend... and any other time I'm not working... it's where I will retire to...

Regards 

THJ

Great place,  which pub do you frequent? 

5 hours ago, Ajr said:

Great place,  which pub do you frequent? 

Most of them...

Thomas Henry; Top; Middle and Bottom Taps; Golden Lion; Lifeboat and if it ever opens again the Captain Nelson...

Oh and the Maryport Tandoori once he fully opens again because since Covid all he has done is a carry out service...

Regards 

THJ 

13 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Most of them...

Thomas Henry; Top; Middle and Bottom Taps; Golden Lion; Lifeboat and if it ever opens again the Captain Nelson...

Oh and the Maryport Tandoori once he fully opens again because since Covid all he has done is a carry out service...

Regards 

THJ 

Sure that would be a curry out service:rofl:

• Haha 2

I am not a Diamond's fan I support Redcar and I have loved the banter between the rwo sets of supporters over thee years.  I would like to know who THJ is because he knows an awful lot about what's happening at Newcastle and along of his predictions come true so he is obviously a very smart guy and close confidant of the current promotion.  THJ, I have couple of questions for you

1) Why did Rob Grant tear the club apart at the seams and alienate a huge section of the fan base by dispensing with the services or forcing the resignation of key figures at the club?  For example 'RC' who brought so much to the show and still does at Redcar

2) Does Rob Grant's van stand anywhere else?  Those burgers are bloody lovely 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 9:16 AM, Berry9 said:

1) Why did Rob Grant tear the club apart at the seams and alienate a huge section of the fan base by dispensing with the services or forcing the resignation of key figures at the club?  For example 'RC' who brought so much to the show and still does at Redcar

2) Does Rob Grant's van stand anywhere else?  Those burgers are bloody lovely 

1) There has been much debate on this and not to go over old arguments Rob didn't "tear the club apart" many of the "old guard" chose to leave with the previous shower... and haven't been missed to be fare and I would be surprised if any of the fan base knew who they were other than maybe with the exception of RC... and of course not forgetting the two who remained faithful Starting Marshall Phil Day and new Clerk of the Course Brian McBean who both do a cracking job and the club has managed to run without the "suckhole squad" who used to role up and do very little except bring in half a dozen hangers on who didn't pay to get in so very little was lost with them not coming back and on RC.. it was Roy who decided to take it upon himself to denigrate Newcastle at a Redcar meeting which got back to Rob and I believe they have discussed the matter which is now closed and at the end of the day Roy can say what he wants but Rob has the right to protect his business... furthermore Roy was an on cost on the centre green which Rob decided to save upon... personally I like Roy's cheesy craic some don't he's a bit marmite but over 20 meetings in a pre-Covid normal season it is a 2k saving that could be better spent elsewhere I assume. 

2) The food wagon does events and festivals which is Robs business... says what it does in the business name to be fair and the most recent was the Leeds Music Festival... so if you go to any of these events who knows may be... but then again I some how don't think so... you will see Grants events catering providing a service...

At the end of the day one man owns the franchise at Newcastle and how he runs it and protects it is quite frankly down to him and no one else...

Regards 

THJ

Edited by Phil
Removed names as requested.

10 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

and on RC.. it was Roy who decided to take it upon himself to denigrate Newcastle at a Redcar meeting which got back to Rob and I believe they have discussed the matter which is now closed and at the end of the day Roy can say what he wants but Rob has the right to protect his business... furthermore Roy was an on cost on the centre green which Rob decided to save upon... personally I like Roy's cheesy craic some don't hes a bit marmite but over 20 meetings in a pre-covid normal season it is a 2k saving that could be better spent elsewhere I assume. 

Regards 

THJ

Not going to get into any arguments about your other points as I know nothing about them so you could be correct in what you are saying, but on Roy ( or RC as you call him)I have been a mate of his for nearly 40 years and  1. I was at the meeting at Redcar where you say he denigrated Newcastle speedway .. He did not !! All he said on the mic was “ Newcastle speedway had gave up a meeting and Redcar had jumped in and were now holding it and if you now want to see some of the best British youngsters on one of speedways finest tracks come along next Thursday to see all the action … He did not criticise Newcastle he praised Redcar ( big difference) .. 2. As previously stated I have known Roy nearly 40 years and in the past few years when he has done centre green announcing I have never known him take a penny from Newcastle speedway for doing that job (or any job for Newcastle Speedway) I asked him again last night and he categorically told me he never got paid a penny at Newcastle for centre green announcing (and having trusted him to be best man at my wedding and Godfather to my daughter I have no reason to believe he would lie to me)so I don’t know where your figure of £100 a meeting came from but it is wrong … Other points you make may or may not be correct but I think you are wrong on the one about Roy getting paid 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KEITH M said:

Not going to get into any arguments about your other points as I know nothing about them so you could be correct in what you are saying, but on Roy ( or RC as you call him)I have been a mate of his for nearly 40 years and  1. I was at the meeting at Redcar where you say he denigrated Newcastle speedway .. He did not !! All he said on the mic was “ Newcastle speedway had gave up a meeting and Redcar had jumped in and were now holding it and if you now want to see some of the best British youngsters on one of speedways finest tracks come along next Thursday to see all the action … He did not criticise Newcastle he praised Redcar ( big difference) .. 2. As previously stated I have known Roy nearly 40 years and in the past few years when he has done centre green announcing I have never known him take a penny from Newcastle speedway for doing that job (or any job for Newcastle Speedway) I asked him again last night and he categorically told me he never got paid a penny at Newcastle for centre green announcing (and having trusted him to be best man at my wedding and Godfather to my daughter I have no reason to believe he would lie to me)so I don’t know where your figure of £100 a meeting came from but it is wrong … Other points you make may or may not be correct but I think you are wrong on the one about Roy getting paid 

Yep and I went to school with Roy and we were in the same class for the last three year at school so add another 10 on how long you have known him and that's where I am... and on the RC thing that was following the format and term used by the previous poster in their text referring to Roy in their question of "For example 'RC' who brought so much to the show and still does at Redcar" because to be fair again I had to think who he was referring to at first

I didn't hear what was said at Redcar I only got it second hand and to be fair to Roy I spoke to him about it and he said he felt he hadn't said anything derogatory either and I have no reason not to disbelieve Roy however that's not what was reported back and whatever he said and whatever was reported back it upset the promotion... however I believe there was a discussion between Roy and the promotion and the matter was closed out.... and having spoken to Roy I know he was a bit upset about the outcome but at the end of the day its a new owner with new rules... personally I don't and never have had any issue with Roy...

On wages I won't go into that to much however my figure came from Roy himself initially and I know what was quoted and what was discussed re. Newcastle and for that matter what went on up at Berwick and what his expectations were to do something at Worky if the new track gets off the ground fully which I also chatted to Roy about so whether he was going to charge Newcastle or not for his services it still ends up a saving on the balance sheet...

Regards 

THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling, Spell Check and Eyesight

10 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Yep and I went to school with Roy and we were in the same class for the last three year at school so add another 10 on how long you have known him and that's where I am... and on the RC thing that was following the format and term used by the previous poster in their text referring to Roy in their question of "For example 'RC' who brought so much to the show and still does at Redcar" because to be fair again I had to think who he was referring to at first

I didn't hear what was said at Redcar I only got it second hand and to be fair to Roy I spoke to him about it and he said he felt he hadn't said anything derogatory either and I have no reason not to disbelieve Roy however that's not what was reported back and whatever he said and whatever was reported back it upset the promotion... however I believe there was a discussion between Roy and the promotion and the matter was closed out.... and having spoken to Roy I know he was a bit upset about the outcome but at the end of the day its a new owner with new rules... personally I don't and never have had any issue with Roy...

On wages I won't go into that to much however my figure came from Roy himself initially and I know what was quoted and what was discussed re. Newcastle and for that matter what went on up at Berwick and what his expectations were to do something at Worky if the new track gets off the ground fully which I also chatted to Roy about so whether he was going to charge Newcastle or not for his services it still ends up a saving on the balance sheet...

Regards 

THJ

I was also present at the Redcar match in question and I certainly didn’t hear anything that  was disrespectful towards Newcastle. I know that Roy has always had Newcastle close to his heart and in my view he has been a huge miss on the presentation side this season.

As the owner it’s totally within Rob’s gift to make the call that he did but IMHO it is Newcastle who have lost out the most from that situation as Roy has continued to build his reputation at Redcar this season while the match night production at Newcastle this season has been rather poor.

The bottom line is that whatever the situation with the former staff who are no longer there, it is Rob’s business to run how he sees fit and he has made the call based upon what he feels is best for his club. 

Good luck to Rob for the future and here is hoping that we see speedway back in Newcastle at some point in the longer term.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

Gutted for Granty ,he was taking it over with good intentions and for the sake of the Sport and Fans,even he knew there was lot a lot of money to made,unfortunately it has not worked out well for him.

• Like 1