British Speedway Forum
MartinBSN

Birmingham & Newcastle deadline

13 minutes ago, pablo133 said:

The bottom line for me is that the riders are paid more money than the clubs can afford going on the crowd size, the league needs to change to standard engines and riders treat it as a hobby that pays a lower rate, I've heard about top riders in the league getting paid guaranteed £1,500 plus per meeting , this has to stop and reserves getting £50 a point, no wonder the clubs are struggling. THJ might have more info on the wage structure than me?

I agree with you that silly guarantees and points monies has to stop but you won't get anywhere insisting on "standard" engines, aside from what is deemed standard there would be a huge financial cost to riders to swap out their current redundant kit, monitoring it etc. Simply by reducing the monies a rider brings in they will naturally look at ways to reduce outgoings. Do i need to service the engine every 25 races or will 40 be ok? do i need that cam? do i need to go to that tuner for a service when this one charges half as much? I don't tell my employer how much money i need to live with all the mod cons, they give me a salary and its my responsibility to cut my cloth accordingly.

• Like 2

Think the whole speedway structure needs reorganising from the top down in the UK given the dwindling numbers of supporters who are intersted in the sport.

Do you need a full time BSPL HQ ?

What are the fixed outgoings of every club - BSPL membership, Cost of referees, Cost of First Aid Cover, Cost of insurance, other payments ??

What are  the promoters wage bills - how many paid staff ?

Does a UK wide cap need to be imposed on riders earnings in UK speedway based on their CMA and experience. Or a cap on total team earnings imposed on all clubs ?

How much of my £20 for admission and programme actually pays for the action on the track ?  I know 20% VAT goes to HMG.

Are promoters even interested in addressing the elephant in the room of delays to meetings?  IF they dont know that this is driving away supporters  then they are frankly not intersted in their businesses.

The sport is failing, meetings are being cancelled for non weather related reasons. Nobody wants to send SOS until the last passenger has left the ship in the lifeboats. Captain Godfrey (now promoted from private in the home guard) will shout out "we are all doomed" as the ship goes down.

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

I agree with you that silly guarantees and points monies has to stop but you won't get anywhere insisting on "standard" engines, aside from what is deemed standard there would be a huge financial cost to riders to swap out their current redundant kit, monitoring it etc. Simply by reducing the monies a rider brings in they will naturally look at ways to reduce outgoings. Do i need to service the engine every 25 races or will 40 be ok? do i need that cam? do i need to go to that tuner for a service when this one charges half as much? I don't tell my employer how much money i need to live with all the mod cons, they give me a salary and its my responsibility to cut my cloth accordingly.

The engines would have to be phased out over a few seasons maybe? 

1 hour ago, pablo133 said:

The engines would have to be phased out over a few seasons maybe? 

Problem is, how many teams will be left in a "few seasons"?

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Think the whole speedway structure needs reorganising from the top down in the UK given the dwindling numbers of supporters who are intersted in the sport.

Do you need a full time BSPL HQ ?

What are the fixed outgoings of every club - BSPL membership, Cost of referees, Cost of First Aid Cover, Cost of insurance, other payments ??

What are  the promoters wage bills - how many paid staff ?

Does a UK wide cap need to be imposed on riders earnings in UK speedway based on their CMA and experience. Or a cap on total team earnings imposed on all clubs ?

How much of my £20 for admission and programme actually pays for the action on the track ?  I know 20% VAT goes to HMG.

Are promoters even interested in addressing the elephant in the room of delays to meetings?  IF they dont know that this is driving away supporters  then they are frankly not intersted in their businesses.

The sport is failing, meetings are being cancelled for non weather related reasons. Nobody wants to send SOS until the last passenger has left the ship in the lifeboats. Captain Godfrey (now promoted from private in the home guard) will shout out "we are all doomed" as the ship goes down.

A cap has been tried before, it doesn't work. All that happens is clubs with money back that rider up with "sponsorship"

• Like 4

Think that's why we will soon end up with Poole versus Belle Vue every week soon - let them have their season of fun. 

For ANYTHING to work it has to have the co operation of all promoters (can you ever imagine that happening?)  ....... and probably one of the main reasons speedway is now rapidly on a downwards spiral.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Think that's why we will soon end up with Poole versus Belle Vue every week soon - let them have their season of fun. 

For ANYTHING to work it has to have the co operation of all promoters (can you ever imagine that happening?)  ....... and probably one of the main reasons speedway is now rapidly on a downwards spiral.

That is why Redcar promoter Ben Duffill is packing in because of the closed shop attitude.

He has taken us from a wooden spoon candidate to a play off candidate, increased crowds & treats the attendees like adults 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Norfolk Bear said:

That is why Redcar promoter Ben Duffill is packing in because of the closed shop attitude.

He has taken us from a wooden spoon candidate to a play off candidate, increased crowds & treats the attendees like adults 

and his predecessor, and Ged Rathbone and a few others….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pablo133 said:

The bottom line for me is that the riders are paid more money than the clubs can afford going on the crowd size, the league needs to change to standard engines and riders treat it as a hobby that pays a lower rate, I've heard about top riders in the league getting paid guaranteed £1,500 plus per meeting , this has to stop and reserves getting £50 a point, no wonder the clubs are struggling. THJ might have more info on the wage structure than me?

They don’t see to be able recognise the obvious.The riders that can’t make 1 League pay just need to retire and get a proper job for less money.It’s laughable that they will work for Tesco when they can’t earn from Speedway yet just moan they can’t make a living from the sport.Give them a tenner an hour for their Time at Speedway meeting:rolleyes:.Wages have to be in line with Crowd Levels or there will be nobody left in 10 years.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Fromafar said:

They don’t see to be able recognise the obvious.The riders that can’t make 1 League pay just need to retire and get a proper job for less money.It’s laughable that they will work for Tesco when they can’t earn from Speedway yet just moan they can’t make a living from the sport.Give them a tenner an hour for their Time at Speedway meeting:rolleyes:.Wages have to be in line with Crowd Levels or there will be nobody left in 10 years.

Promoters have to stop fantasising that their competitions mean anything and stop trying to put one of over each other, whilst spending ridiculous money collectively to do it..

Ultimately, completely and utterly wasted money..

Many fans dont take it seriously so they need to have the same attitude and work together to just put out Speedway that delivers four riders of reasonably equal ability in each race at a price point that enough fans see as value for money, on nights (or days) that the fans want to attend on.. 

Riders need to understand that the days of being a Speedway rider and retiring with plenty of money in the bank are long gone (in the UK), and expecting to earn a (good) 12 months salary in six months is becoming (if not already become)  a pipe dream..

Whether the change required sits within a team concept or not is debateable however they certainly need to change something/lots of things before it becomes well past its fast closing tipping point....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Fromafar said:

They don't have to provide a highly tuned delivery van to work for Tesco though, they get provided with a standardised diesel van that will drive to the moon and back, that requires a service every 10,000 miles.

Hmm... there's an idea, has anybody thought of standardised equipment for Speedway :lol:

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, iainb said:

They don't have to provide a highly tuned delivery van to work for Tesco though, they get provided with a standardised diesel van that will drive to the moon and back, that requires a service every 10,000 miles.

Do you still get free delivery if you live on the moon?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Do you still get free delivery if you live on the moon?

Only on a Monday or Thursday... unless the driver is also driving for Sainsbury's and they have to draft a driver in from Asda :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

This is the issue Mike and its why it hurts so much.... What sport in the world penalises a successful team like speedway; Worky was built in 2018 to win their home matches and get 35 points away from home... they never in their wildest dreams expected to go to Glasgow and Newcastle and score 50 points plus... the home crowd has to pay for the away meeting and 380 on a Saturday night watching Scunthorpe then going to Scunny and getting 50 points down their meant a hit of somewhere around 6 grand... the expectation levels are far to high and the model isn't working IMHO

Never a truer word said.

Err never a truer word said since the last one

Oh and how true is this statement; couple of years back three of us watching a GP in the Golden Lion in Maryport; just before the semi final run off someone turned the TV over to look at some racing results and there was nearly a riot in the Bar... get that back on we were watching that and there was around 45 in the Bar and I said to them "if you like it that much why don't you get to Derwent Park to watch your local team" to much like hard work; to cold; to expensive; to far away; to many excuses and they all said they loved the sport but would rather sit and watch it on TV and no one was brave enough to ask for it to be put on the TV in the bar... Nuts totally Nuts...

Regards
THJ

Must go sorry...

Do you still go to maryport?