Jump to content
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

BIRMINGHAM STATEMENT 8TH AUG

Recommended Posts

BIRMINGHAM owner David Mason has underlined the club’s commitment to get through to the end of the season.

Wednesday’s Perry Barr fixture has now changed and will be a Championship clash with Leicester.

This means the Knockout Cup tie with Edinburgh will be put back as the club aim to keep up with their league schedule – and they have apologised for any inconvenience to travelling Monarchs fans.

They enjoyed their biggest crowd of the season against Kent last Wednesday – but it still wasn’t enough to guarantee the long term future of the club.

Said Mason: “We’re desperate to see it right the way through - but I can only echo what I keep saying, we need the supporters to come each and every week.

“If they don’t it will spell that dreaded end that we seriously don’t want to happen whilst we’re there especially.

“That isn’t a threat either, it’s just the reality of the situation we’re in right now and we wanted to be up front and honest with the supporters.

“It really is a week-by-week situation and like I said, we’re desperate to get through it all.

“We can’t thank the supporters that turn up week in, week out enough - they are absolutely fantastic, but we just need more of them now.

“Birmingham needs speedway and we really want it to be a success.

“Last week was a massive step in the right direction - that’s the sort of thing we need every single time we race at Perry Barr though.

“The racing was unbelievable, the scoreline was really tight and the atmosphere was the best it’s been for a long time.

“We’ve had to move a fixture around here and there and we know Leicester will be our toughest test of the season on Wednesday.

“With it being a big Midlands derby though, we’re hopeful of another big crowd and we’re just hoping we can build on last week again all round.

“We thank everyone for their co-operation and apologise to any Edinburgh fans who were planning to be here, but we literally are going from week to week.”

Mason is also keen to see younger fans enjoying the spectacle of live racing.

He added: “The week before we had literally a handful of kids turn up then last week there were nearly 100 there.

“That is absolutely fantastic because they are the future of the sport and we need them coming.

“I know we keep on about the short term and people might say ‘but they’re not paying any money’ but they have at least one parent or guardian with them and if they enjoy themselves they’ll keep on pestering until they come back again and again and again!

“At Birmingham they get to do things that they don’t always get to do at other Speedway tracks and we can’t stress enough how much we value the kids coming through the gates.”
 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comforting news. Me and My lad will be there Wednesday, that’s  for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apology to Edinburgh Supporters just under 2 hours since email sent to Laurence Rogers from Monarchs Speedway Supporters' Club.

All clubs should realise they will not survive without supporters and that they shouldn't take them for granted.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Speedway fan said:
BIRMINGHAM owner David Mason has underlined the club’s commitment to get through to the end of the season.

Wednesday’s Perry Barr fixture has now changed and will be a Championship clash with Leicester.

This means the Knockout Cup tie with Edinburgh will be put back as the club aim to keep up with their league schedule – and they have apologised for any inconvenience to travelling Monarchs fans.

They enjoyed their biggest crowd of the season against Kent last Wednesday – but it still wasn’t enough to guarantee the long term future of the club.

Said Mason: “We’re desperate to see it right the way through - but I can only echo what I keep saying, we need the supporters to come each and every week.

“If they don’t it will spell that dreaded end that we seriously don’t want to happen whilst we’re there especially.

“That isn’t a threat either, it’s just the reality of the situation we’re in right now and we wanted to be up front and honest with the supporters.

“It really is a week-by-week situation and like I said, we’re desperate to get through it all.

“We can’t thank the supporters that turn up week in, week out enough - they are absolutely fantastic, but we just need more of them now.

“Birmingham needs speedway and we really want it to be a success.

“Last week was a massive step in the right direction - that’s the sort of thing we need every single time we race at Perry Barr though.

“The racing was unbelievable, the scoreline was really tight and the atmosphere was the best it’s been for a long time.

“We’ve had to move a fixture around here and there and we know Leicester will be our toughest test of the season on Wednesday.

“With it being a big Midlands derby though, we’re hopeful of another big crowd and we’re just hoping we can build on last week again all round.

“We thank everyone for their co-operation and apologise to any Edinburgh fans who were planning to be here, but we literally are going from week to week.”

Mason is also keen to see younger fans enjoying the spectacle of live racing.

He added: “The week before we had literally a handful of kids turn up then last week there were nearly 100 there.

“That is absolutely fantastic because they are the future of the sport and we need them coming.

“I know we keep on about the short term and people might say ‘but they’re not paying any money’ but they have at least one parent or guardian with them and if they enjoy themselves they’ll keep on pestering until they come back again and again and again!

“At Birmingham they get to do things that they don’t always get to do at other Speedway tracks and we can’t stress enough how much we value the kids coming through the gates.”
 

Don’t really think it will make any difference in long term.If a Knock Out Cup Tie against one of the best Teams in the League can’t attract a decent crowd with decent advertising and Promotion,what chance a league match making any difference.You would still have local derby for said league match to come anyway.Desperate measures.Wish them luck though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Don’t really think it will make any difference in long term.If a Knock Out Cup Tie against one of the best Teams in the League can’t attract a decent crowd with decent advertising and Promotion,what chance a league match making any difference.You would still have local derby for said league match to come anyway.Desperate measures.Wish them luck though.

I agree!

May be an initial cash income injection is needed.....obviously a match v Leicester will bring in a bit more that a cup tie against Edinburgh.

Personally, I don't think that the increased crowd levels will be enough to keep Peter/David at the club beyond this season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Speedway fan said:
BIRMINGHAM owner David Mason has underlined the club’s commitment to get through to the end of the season.

Wednesday’s Perry Barr fixture has now changed and will be a Championship clash with Leicester.

This means the Knockout Cup tie with Edinburgh will be put back as the club aim to keep up with their league schedule – and they have apologised for any inconvenience to travelling Monarchs fans.

They enjoyed their biggest crowd of the season against Kent last Wednesday – but it still wasn’t enough to guarantee the long term future of the club.

Said Mason: “We’re desperate to see it right the way through - but I can only echo what I keep saying, we need the supporters to come each and every week.

“If they don’t it will spell that dreaded end that we seriously don’t want to happen whilst we’re there especially.

“That isn’t a threat either, it’s just the reality of the situation we’re in right now and we wanted to be up front and honest with the supporters.

“It really is a week-by-week situation and like I said, we’re desperate to get through it all.

“We can’t thank the supporters that turn up week in, week out enough - they are absolutely fantastic, but we just need more of them now.

“Birmingham needs speedway and we really want it to be a success.

“Last week was a massive step in the right direction - that’s the sort of thing we need every single time we race at Perry Barr though.

“The racing was unbelievable, the scoreline was really tight and the atmosphere was the best it’s been for a long time.

“We’ve had to move a fixture around here and there and we know Leicester will be our toughest test of the season on Wednesday.

“With it being a big Midlands derby though, we’re hopeful of another big crowd and we’re just hoping we can build on last week again all round.

“We thank everyone for their co-operation and apologise to any Edinburgh fans who were planning to be here, but we literally are going from week to week.”

Mason is also keen to see younger fans enjoying the spectacle of live racing.

He added: “The week before we had literally a handful of kids turn up then last week there were nearly 100 there.

“That is absolutely fantastic because they are the future of the sport and we need them coming.

“I know we keep on about the short term and people might say ‘but they’re not paying any money’ but they have at least one parent or guardian with them and if they enjoy themselves they’ll keep on pestering until they come back again and again and again!

“At Birmingham they get to do things that they don’t always get to do at other Speedway tracks and we can’t stress enough how much we value the kids coming through the gates.”
 

Should have made Edinburgh match league match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Should have made Edinburgh match league match.

Why not make it a D/H league match and KOC match, obviously only if they could beat their curfew if they have one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Why not make it a D/H league match and KOC match, obviously only if they could beat their curfew if they have one

10pm. No chance of a double header.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Is Birmingham v Berwick going to be on next Wednesday? Or is that going to get cancelled like the Edinburgh one did

Their method is to change it 4/5 days from match then tell you. Got time yet. Wait til away supporters have already made plans or are already down South.

Edited by Endeavour
Addition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cityrebel said:

10pm. No chance of a double header.

There is if you 

Start on time

Get the 2 minutes on as soon as the last rider from the preceding race has gone through the pit gate

Only have grading and watering after hts 4,8, and 12 then 10-15 minutes after ht15

Obviously any major crashes could affect the smooth efficient running

One of the biggest problems British speedway faces is the we can't do that and that won't work attitude, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

Why not make it a D/H league match and KOC match, obviously only if they could beat their curfew if they have one

If Birmingham are struggling financially then double headers which are generally loss making for any club running them would be suicide.
 

2 sets of wages and travel expenses to pay on one gate an absolute no go I’d suggest regardless of curfew

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Their method is to change it 4/5 days from match then tell you. Got time yet. Wait til away supporters have already made plans or are already down South.

They've explained why they have changed the fixture, a local derby when the kids are off with good weather will bring in much needed revenue when the club have admitting their going from week to week. Or would you rather the club fold just to keep a handful of fans happy that may or may not travel the 200 miles from Edinburgh? I really sympathise for fans that are down south already but the promotion are trying to save their club. I'm not sure they had much choice tbh 

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Dog said:

They've explained why they have changed the fixture, a local derby when the kids are off with good weather will bring in much needed revenue when the club have admitting their going from week to week. Or would you rather the club fold just to keep a handful of fans happy that may or may not travel the 200 miles from Edinburgh? I really sympathise for fans that are down south already but the promotion are trying to save their club. I'm not sure they had much choice tbh 

EXACTLY!

And let's face it... we're not stupid....the writing is definitely on the wall !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Their method is to change it 4/5 days from match then tell you. Got time yet. Wait til away supporters have already made plans or are already down South.

It's hardly B'ham promotion's fault if you're already down South ? you have taken a chance already, considering our British weather ?

I do feel for you....but I feel far more for 'us' fans about to lose our club!

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy