British Speedway Forum
Triple.H.

Philip Rising R.I.P

Very sad news - RIP Philip. Condolences to all family and friends

Speedway has lost a great ambassador the like of which may well not be seen again

• Like 1

Very sad news, Phil was such a driving force behind speedway star for so many years, will be sadly missed. Condolences to all the family and friends. RIP Phil.

Very sad news, RIP Phil

I've always loved the Speedway Star. I adored the stats page, and spent more time reading with that magazine than anything else while I was growing up during the 1980s. Of course, the editor of the Star during that period was Phil Rising. He made such a huge contribution to speedway, while at times, it could be argued that magazine is better than speedway has deserved. RIP Phil.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Still so sad, we've lost a superb man there.

2 hours ago, Grand Central said:

My respect for him was greatest just because he did have the balls to come on here and engage in real debate with us.

Says it all...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Very sad news, such a great Journalist and fan of our sport, RIP.

Very sad news indeed, his name has been part of my life since I was a young teenager, when I bought my first of many many Speedway Stars.. 

Condolences to all that knew him, especially family and friends.. 

RlP Philip.. 

• Like 1

I find it pretty disgusting that the BSI mouthpiece website speedwaygp.com has had absolutely nothing to say about the passing of Mr Rising.

The omission should be seen as as disrespectful enough just because of the man's stature in the sport.

But when one considers that he has been one of the strongest public advocates of the SGP system and that without his personal support at the helm of the sports premier journal it is doubtful that the whole circus would have seen the success it has.

Add in the dark days of BSI cock-ups at Gelsenkirchen, Gothenburg, Warsaw and the Cardiff shale fiasco where Philip refused to sharpen his journalistic knife and stab at the culprits. Instead he chose  to play the long game, hold back on public criticism and allow the series to regroup for the greater good of the sport.

On top of that he played a great part as Olsen's assistant in the pits at just about every GP for years and years.

To not even acknowledge his passing on the public website is utterly disgraceful . Shame on you BSI.

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Grand Central said:

I often disagreed with him on here ... In a very enjoyable way. His view was to be respected and I greatly appreciated the numerous times he instigated one to one discussions via personal messenger that greatly enlightened my understanding of the 'real story' that would not be possible to print.

My respect for him was greatest just because he did have the balls to come on here and engage in real debate with us. He did so with the passion of someone still in love with the sport but with the deep knowledge of his lifetime of covering it so magnificently in print. A wonderful combination.

His biggest legacy is of course Speedway Star, which PR curated for so long, offering Michelin Star coverage of what is often a transport cafe sport. I trust the team will carry his torch well.

Farewell Philip.

Excellent post and well said.