British Speedway Forum
Triple.H.

Philip Rising R.I.P

10 hours ago, Grand Central said:

I find it pretty disgusting that the BSI mouthpiece website speedwaygp.com has had absolutely nothing to say about the passing of Mr Rising.

The omission should be seen as as disrespectful enough just because of the man's stature in the sport.

But when one considers that he has been one of the strongest public advocates of the SGP system and that without his personal support at the helm of the sports premier journal it is doubtful that the whole circus would have seen the success it has.

Add in the dark days of BSI cock-ups at Gelsenkirchen, Gothenburg, Warsaw and the Cardiff shale fiasco where Philip refused to sharpen his journalistic knife and stab at the culprits. Instead he chose  to play the long game, hold back on public criticism and allow the series to regroup for the greater good of the sport.

On top of that he played a great part as Olsen's assistant in the pits at just about every GP for years and years.

To not even acknowledge his passing on the public website is utterly disgraceful . Shame on you BSI.

Belatedly there is now a tribute by Paul Bellamy:-

https://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/9156/bellamy-pays-tribute-to-rising

Only briefly met him when staying in same hotel in Udine for last Italian GP, and he updated us on what had happened in the UK on the Friday.

Although the internet is now widely used for instant news & results, you cannot beat the Speedway Star for quality news & articles which I have always enjoyed reading at my leisure, and PR was at the helm in maintaining it's high standard for our benefit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cyclone said:

Belatedly there is now a tribute by Paul Bellamy:-

https://www.speedwaygp.com/news/article/9156/bellamy-pays-tribute-to-rising

Only briefly met him when staying in same hotel in Udine for last Italian GP, and he updated us on what had happened in the UK on the Friday.

Although the internet is now widely used for instant news & results, you cannot beat the Speedway Star for quality news & articles which I have always enjoyed reading at my leisure, and PR was at the helm in maintaining it's high standard for our benefit.

Better late than never.

And I will leave it at that. To comment further would be inappropriate.

Let's just remember the guy himself and the family he leaves behind.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can only endorse the other tributes fans have put on here.  I disagreed with him on a few things but such was the nature of the man you could have a disagreement in a polite sort of way and then move on with no hard feelings.  I cant imagine speedway without him. 

Very, Very sad news.

• Like 4

He and Paul Bellamy were very close so I'm sure he would have been waiting to find the right words rather than rush a statement out

• Like 3

Very sad to hear this, RIP.

Really sad news. Can only echo the other comments, that speedway had lost a gentleman, a hugely passionate, knowledgeable and articulate advocate, and one whose lasting legacy is a top class magazine. RIP Phil. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pleased to see BT sports did a bit on him before gp last night. Lovely words from Scott. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very sad news. He was a proper 'supporter of speedway' in the truest sense. There will never be anyone like him again.

RIP and thank you.