British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Poole v Redcar. Championship. 11th August 2021

Not sure where the 1300 attendance came from. Both restricted meetings had well under 800 at a time when stadium rental was increased to cover the costs of all the extra Covid  things eg 21 extra stewards etc.

Lets not forget that wages from away meetings also had to be paid.

Poole only get income from admissions/programmes/sponsors and advertising.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Not sure where the 1300 attendance came from. Both restricted meetings had well under 800 at a time when stadium rental was increased to cover the costs of all the extra Covid  things eg 21 extra stewards etc.

Lets not forget that wages from away meetings also had to be paid.

Hi Skidder, that was my error when replying to Old Bob. The real figures show a stark reality that the club was well out of pocket and quite clearly could not sustain those losses if Covid-19 restrictions weren't lifted

Just now, Shaleshifter said:

Hi Skidder, that was my error when replying to Old Bob. The real figures show a stark reality that the club was well out of pocket and quite clearly could not sustain those losses if Covid-19 restrictions weren't lifted

Absolutely.

i thought danny said we made on the two meetings in which we had just over 1300 just may be wrong 

Edited by ray c

30 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

The rent is not as much as some clubs are paying that's a fact. Riders wages probably the same as lots of clubs, as for car park most times the money goes to the owner.  So I would say 1300 you would be making money or at least brake even. 

My mistake Trackerman48 the actual attendances for both restricted meetings was less than 700 so I believe.

3 minutes ago, Shaleshifter said:

My mistake Trackerman48 the actual attendances for both restricted meetings was less than 700 so I believe.

No problem was thinking that was high. I do understand now with those figures they would be losing money. 

Yet again people jumping on this because its Poole.

• Like 4

As has been said why would Poole not want to run on a sunny Wednesday evening with holidaymakers everywhere? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

As has been said why would Poole not want to run on a sunny Wednesday evening with holidaymakers everywhere? 

So unfortunately it is impossible to be able to run tonight when a lot of the staff were pinged after last weds meeting 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

Berwick don’t receive any money from carpark, they let people park for free, as do plenty other places, if you’re getting 1,300 and not making a profit in this league, you’ve spent too much on rider wages, that’s probably going to be more than £20,000 takings per meeting, if your outgoing costs are more than that a week, then you shouldn’t be in this league, no wonder clubs like Birmingham and Newcastle are struggling when that’s what they’re up against, they don’t get near half of your attendance that you’re making a loss on

only one meeting so far has had more than that figure in attendance.

Also let's debunk another myth Poole don't and have never paid top dollar wages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

H Gould

I do live in Kent nowadays, but that does not mean I exclude Kent from my awarded points scheme.

Rain offs (even those that occur with a stadium full of spectators) should be awarded one point per team. Applies to all clubs.

Not really sure I understand the mentality of modern day speedway supporters - who seem to complain but just suck up and come crawling back to the sport whatever rubbish the "promoters" spout. They dont seem to care about being  mugged off time and time again by promoters by and large who run their clubs their way come what may to suit themselves, taking little or no notice of fans' opinions, only to cry help when they run aground.

As an example  Kent are victims of a ridiculous planning consent only allowing  one 2 hour meeting per week, yet surprisingly decided to run with a CL AND an NDL side this season, with a bizarre pricing structure. The NDL  team have barely turned a wheel at home , and how they will finish the season eludes me. Eastbourne similarly launched full steam into 2 leagues, with double headers and a seemingly attractive budget priced NDL proposition, but halfway through the season, double headers are banned by the stadium owners (too many delayed finishes) and the NDL side have yet to re appear on their own track.  

Sadly, the whole rotten lot is sliding downhill, with bickering and self interest throughout, even extending down to the fans themselves with their often misplaced loyalty.

With even the once immaculately run and managed  Poole Speedway losing control this season, the future looks very bleak indeed.

Edited by old bob at herne bay
  • Sad 1

On 8/9/2021 at 5:48 PM, Arthur54 said:

Out of the speedway clubs hands

Didn’t say it wasn’t, but tell a football or rugby supporter that a match was called off because the club couldn’t open the stadium because some one on the staff had been pinged and see what reaction you get.

7 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Didn’t say it wasn’t, but tell a football or rugby supporter that a match was called off because the club couldn’t open the stadium because some one on the staff had been pinged and see what reaction you get.

Not really lot of the staff employed by poole speedway had to isolate 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

Give Harrogate Town supporters a call - I'm sure they'll have a view!!

• Like 1

no self isolating for people with double jabs from the 16th aug so wont happen again,another step towards normality and people realising covid(like many other things) will always be with us and we live with it and work with it

• Like 3