British Speedway Forum

28 minutes ago, iainb said:

I can tell you what the viewing figures will be for the Sheffield vs Belle Vue match, now rearranged for next Monday, it will be Zero as they aren't covering it!

Eurosport play a blinder again!

Just like when Belle Vue v Wolves was rained off in play offs few years ago BT Sport didn't show rearranged meeting few days later.

When the contract was signed by Eurosport, can anybody remember how long it was for?

Their coverage of our sport so far has been pretty dismal, and I wondered how much longer we have to suffer it for. Fortunately Eurosport is part of my Sky package, as I certainly wouldn't pay to watch it!

25 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

You can't change the weather but another classic example of how British speedway shoots itself in the foot and lives in the past. The season should be finished now. The play-off for what they are worth in a 6 team league should have begun the first week in September. Octobers are cold, mostly wet and dark!

Spot on....

Use every week of the summer momths possible to run the leagues and then have a cup competition in October if they need to pad out the meetings to give the riders enough races to earn money..

Or, if that means too many meetings for the great many riders who DU during the summer months, at least run the top league to its conclusion in September so the 'flagship league' gets its best crowds and publicity, and leave the 2nd Div to run in October as now...

"Let's hope the weather is ok" shouldn't be the most often used comment when discussing the play off finals...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Watkins said:

Tonights meeting was highlighted on Amazon prime sport

I often feel that the Disney channel would be a quite appropriate place to show it too... :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

You can't change the weather but another classic example of how British speedway shoots itself in the foot and lives in the past. The season should be finished now. The play-off for what they are worth in a 6 team league should have begun the first week in September. Octobers are cold, mostly wet and dark!

Well said. How many empty race nights in the summer months with some clubs having just two meetings in a month of June or July or even August. Again those in charge seem totally incapable of getting to grips with what is a summer sport (unless you are an Ice speedway fan) and running crucial meetings in late September and October when the chances are that the weather will be adverse.

Riders moan about track conditions etc. yet they are the main culprits causing the problem with DU and fickle attitudes to racing conditions. Years gone by riders got on with it even with a layer of sawdust, today, the cat or dog can wee on a track and it is unsuitable for racing.

If the BSPL do not make drastic changes to ensure it survives and attracts new punters, then you have nothing left.

Go back to the 60’s and 70’s when you had enthusiastic part time riders with character who did not need rocket propelled bikes to make racing exciting or competitive and it produced local icons and international riders who competed against what was put in front of them. If a club reserve claimed the scalp of a heat leader all the better. Today is bland by comparison when it comes to entertainment and I am not just talking about the racing. All too clinical today with not much going for it. Think on those in charge, you do not have much time left to rescue the sport.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I agree that's why Poland always finished by end of September. Get the playoffs done, if need to have something in October have some sort of 4TT etc.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Just like when Belle Vue v Wolves was rained off in play offs few years ago BT Sport didn't show rearranged meeting few days later.

Remember when Sky would show both semi finals at the same time now that was top notch coverage! Sadly the BSPA played a blinder and pissed that up! Now instead of selling their product to the TV companies the BSPA go around seeing who will take it free of charge......the BSPA a top notch marketing organisation!!

Season should be April - September and if any clubs can do challenges in March or October that pays then good luck to them

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

People often assume more rain offs occur in October but I'm not so sure about that and every year is different. Unfortunately venues have competing events, particularly in the summer and they will run what is most profitable to them, which may not be speedway. 

9 hours ago, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Remember when Sky would show both semi finals at the same time now that was top notch coverage! Sadly the BSPA played a blinder and pissed that up! Now instead of selling their product to the TV companies the BSPA go around seeing who will take it free of charge......the BSPA a top notch marketing organisation!!

OK for the folks watching at home but for the fans in attendance it was truly shocking.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bunce said:

When the contract was signed by Eurosport, can anybody remember how long it was for?

Their coverage of our sport so far has been pretty dismal, and I wondered how much longer we have to suffer it for. Fortunately Eurosport is part of my Sky package, as I certainly wouldn't pay to watch it!

2020  start  for 5 years.

Edited by racers and royals

12 hours ago, mikebv said:

I often feel that the Disney channel would be a quite appropriate place to show it too... :rolleyes:

Well we've already got Mickey Mouse & Donald Duck doing the commentary! :rofl: