British Speedway Forum

7 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Is it time we brought a female in to the commentary team ?

Natalie Quirk was really good at her job when covering the presentation.....

That could open up a real can of worms..:)

I think when you have consumate professionals, as opposed to tokens; like as an example Hazel Irvine, Suzie Perry, Vicky Gommersall then absolutely 100% they add something.

Then you may find experts in their field like Karen Carney, Claire Balding who add something.

The biggest issue with any Commentataor, male ; female or not sure (to be politically correct) is the voice.

There is nothing worse than an annoying voice for any Commentator. I hear some of the women Rugby Commentators and it's like scratching your fingers down polystyrene.

I found Perry and Sophie Blake knowlegable and listenable, some since on Speedway less so.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

No. 

Agreed

I watched some of the highlights show yesterday. David Rowe was the commentator.
Now I know he has the benefit of watching the races before recording the programme, but the content was spot on. I do find find Dave's rapid delivery a bit odd, especially during normal presentation. But during in heat commentary it's an asset.

6 minutes ago, False dawn said:

I watched some of the highlights show yesterday. David Rowe was the commentator.
Now I know he has the benefit of watching the races before recording the programme, but the content was spot on. I do find find Dave's rapid delivery a bit odd, especially during normal presentation. But during in heat commentary it's an asset.

Another good thing with David Rowe is his analysis of what is going on. He did the European championships on Eurosport and gave an excellent heat-by-heat breakdown of who needed what for final positions and stuff like that. 

2 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

Is it time we brought a female in to the commentary team ?

Natalie Quirk was really good at her job when covering the presentation.....

Natalie covers Moto GP for BT Sport now. I would assume this is a better gig than league speedway on Eurosport.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HGould said:

That could open up a real can of worms..:)

I think when you have consumate professionals, as opposed to tokens; like as an example Hazel Irvine, Suzie Perry, Vicky Gommersall then absolutely 100% they add something.

Then you may find experts in their field like Karen Carney, Claire Balding who add something.

The biggest issue with any Commentataor, male ; female or not sure (to be politically correct) is the voice.

There is nothing worse than an annoying voice for any Commentator. I hear some of the women Rugby Commentators and it's like scratching your fingers down polystyrene.

I found Perry and Sophie Blake knowlegable and listenable, some since on Speedway less so.

A women commentating on football is as bad, it just don't sound right to me, im not sexist and diversity is fine but for me it's a no no, I'd rather watch to match with the mute button on:nono:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I think kelvin is doing a very good job as lead coms, I also very much like the different co-comms every meeting, and I hope they carry on using different riders. Well done Eurosport for that. 

BUT…… Sam is very hard to get behind. Nice guy, great rider, but not cut out to interview or present. It’s sad but true. 

Edited by PhilTheAce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of females in the sport, sad to about Sophie Blake's (Scott Nichols ex) health issues in this wks speedway star.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, PhilTheAce said:

Personally I think kelvin is doing a very good job as lead coms, I also very much like the different co-comms every meeting, and I hope they carry on using different riders. Well done Eurosport for that. 

BUT…… Sam is very hard to get behind. Nice guy, great rider, but not cut out to interview or present. It’s sad but true. 

And, I've never seen anybody so nervous.  He jumps about not knowing where he's supposed to be,  mind I didn't watch him when he was on his screen 

22 hours ago, Grachan said:

Another good thing with David Rowe is his analysis of what is going on. He did the European championships on Eurosport and gave an excellent heat-by-heat breakdown of who needed what for final positions and stuff like that. 

That`s because he is clever and professional  and uses the best computer software programme available(Kandysoft).

Edited by racers and royals
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, racers and royals said:

That`s because he is clever and professional  and uses the best computer software programme available(Kandysoft).

Sam Ermolenko always used to plug Kandysoft when he was on Sky with Keith Heuwen with his laptop open... So that blows part of that theory out of the water :D

1 minute ago, iainb said:

Sam Ermolenko always used to plug Kandysoft when he was on Sky with Keith Heuwen with his laptop open... So that blows part of that theory out of the water :D

I think he knew the info- we just didn`t hear it :D

1 minute ago, racers and royals said:

I think he knew the info- we just didn`t hear it :D

Of course we don't know for sure what actually was on his laptop screen :shock:

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Pilot Error!

• Haha 3