Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
HackneyHawk

British Speedway Official Website

A poorly written and inadequate obituary to Philip Rising from the British Speedway news website today.  Who administrates the website and under what authority?  If this is the official outlet of the BSPA it wouldn't surprise me and is an indictment on the state of Speedway in the UK.

• Like 1

Pretty poor wasn't it. But then the whole site is tbh.

Have you seen the "what the fans say" section? I was reading it yesterday,  It's no wonder nobody goes anymore

• Like 1

Just taken a look at the British Speedway News website and I agree, a disgracefully brief obituary, lacking in facts, poorly researched  and without depth  for a man who should IMO have been inducted into the Speedway Hall of Fame for his services to UK speedway.  

One can only hope that a more adequate obituary will follow shortly.

• Like 8

Would have been better saying nothing,disgraceful and disrespectful to man who has done so much for the sport.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HackneyHawk said:

A poorly written and inadequate obituary to Philip Rising from the British Speedway news website today.  Who administrates the website and under what authority?  If this is the official outlet of the BSPA it wouldn't surprise me and is an indictment on the state of Speedway in the UK.

I thought you were being a tad melodramatic, until I read it.

It basically translates as "man who disagreed with me died"

Do I detect the hand of the notoriously thin-skinned Mr Godfrey?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, arnieg said:

Do I detect the hand of the notoriously thin-skinned Mr Godfrey?

It really does beggar belief doesn't it?

A man who for many years delivered a publication, the quality of which belied the sport it covered and showcased it at a far higher level than many other more mainstream sports get coverage..

This alone speaks volumes as to the level of leadership quality at the top of the sport in the UK..

No mention of any minutes silences either at the tracks...?

Disgraceful..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 6

I am very disappointed by the obituary on the BSPA Website.

They should have done a proper job on the obituary, not just the few words published. They have let down their Sport by their understated reaction to someone who, so obviously, loved his Speedway, and did as much as he could for it in his lifetime.

Sadly, he is due far more respect than this.

• Like 1

I hope that this brief message is just an immediate response and will be soon followed by a more fitting tribute. The man clearly deserves a better epitaph than this brief note.

5 minutes ago, bluebee said:

I hope that this brief message is just an immediate response and will be soon followed by a more fitting tribute. The man clearly deserves a better epitaph than this brief note.

Even if it is, (and hopefully you are correct), the PR is appalling...

And shows the lack of emotional intelligence that exists within those who "make decsions" on behalf of the sport...

Do they not have a Press Officer to sanction any "public messages"?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arnieg said:

I thought the same - until I read it! When the first thing stated in an obituary states that you disagreed with that person, that's not good...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chunky said:

I thought the same - until I read it! When the first thing stated in an obituary states that you disagreed with that person, that's not good...

Agreed, why would you make any obituary/tribute about yourself! smh

• Like 1

Yeah it is a bit of an odd one. It does come across as "I didn't really like the guy but hey ho we better put something out".

• Like 2

Really poor effort. You' would like to think a more in depth tribute will follow.

The obituary really sums up the powers that be in the BSPL not fit for purpose, shame on them,This for a man who has spent pretty much his whole life promoting the sport of Speedway.

• Like 5

Those sitting on the top table, hang your heads in shame. You really do not appreciate how much he and his now legacy magazine did to promote the sport over so many years and in many troubled times which is far more than any of you half wits at the BSPL have ever done. You keep on digging that publicity related hole for yourselves, you are doing a grand job.

• Like 1