British Speedway Forum
BEATTHEBOOKIEBOB

Kent v Edinburgh 10/08/21

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Crang doesn’t look the answer to reserve problem

Wouldn’t disagree. Lawlor was improving but still not really scoring. Problem we have with this system is getting a half decent rising star to travel this far north or based this far north.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Crang doesn’t look the answer to reserve problem

Gated along with Nathan in heat 2 before race was stopped. DQd from rerun apparently due to no dirt deflector on his bike.

Two questions after last night.

Firstly, does anybody  know how Dan Gilkes is after his ambulance ride. What sort of injury was it - did he hit his head as he fell?

Secondly, can somebody explain to me why, after the extensive track regrade after heat 10, the next two races were a full second slower! Quite often the fastest time of the night is recorded in heat one on a pristine track, yet the regrade produced slower races - why? I wouldn't say the racing improved after, so why do it? Granted an interval allows some to visit the bar, etc, but what is the value of all that tractor action? I seem to remember Mr Godfrey at Scunthorpe once saying he didn't believe in touching the track once the meeting had started! 

Anyone know?

19 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Gated along with Nathan in heat 2 before race was stopped. DQd from rerun apparently due to no dirt deflector on his bike.

That’s good progress then:D

1 hour ago, hawks 1975 said:

Firstly, does anybody  know how Dan Gilkes is after his ambulance ride. What sort of injury was it - did he hit his head as he fell?

Secondly, can somebody explain to me why, after the extensive track regrade after heat 10, the next two races were a full second slower! Quite often the fastest time of the night is recorded in heat one on a pristine track, yet the regrade produced slower races - why? I wouldn't say the racing improved after, so why do it? Granted an interval allows some to visit the bar, etc, but what is the value of all that tractor action? I seem to remember Mr Godfrey at Scunthorpe once saying he didn't believe in touching the track once the meeting had started! 

Anyone know?

It was far too long a tractor break, considering the meeting was already running late. Surely the priority should be giving the punters the 15 heats that they have paid for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cityrebel said:

It was far too long a tractor break, considering the meeting was already running late. Surely the priority should be giving the punters the 15 heats that they have paid for.

They got 15 heats.!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

Anyone know?

Not being a track man, I cannot actually answer the question, BUT my common sense tells me that it may well have something to do with

keeping dust from appearing.  Ir was a very warm evening with a decent breeze, so conditions to dry the track quickly.  Checking my programme,

the races immediately after the main track work were won by a visiting rider. Is that the reason for slower race times ?   Who cares anyway ?

You can not put water on a bare track it makes it very dangerous ,so it has to be graded first ,,but with a curfew looming it needs to be done as quickly as possible And the ref should have put the two minute warning on immediately  it was finished ,,he was slow all night ....

Most referees are slow nowadays. Seem to be frightened of the riders and the track staff

Frank Ebdon would certainly not stood for the incessant gardening, and time wasting tactics , and endless tractor racing that seems to now be the norm at all meetings. 

I have witnessed him excluding all 4 riders under 2 minutes for failing to get to the start in heat 1 of a meeting. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, waco said:

You can not put water on a bare track it makes it very dangerous ,so it has to be graded first ,,but with a curfew looming it needs to be done as quickly as possible And the ref should have put the two minute warning on immediately  it was finished ,,he was slow all night ....

Waco seems to agree my guess about the track needing to be watered. I didn't particularly notice that the ref' was slow, but he may well have been.  Surely all

the refs know that Kent has an 8.30 curfew and that they need to keep things going at a fast pace ? Slow or fast, I went home having enjoyed a good meeting

with good racing and Kent, for a change, just edging it.

19 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Most referees are slow nowadays. Seem to be frightened of the riders and the track staff

Frank Ebdon would certainly not stood for the incessant gardening, and time wasting tactics , and endless tractor racing that seems to now be the norm at all meetings. 

I have witnessed him excluding all 4 riders under 2 minutes for failing to get to the start in heat 1 of a meeting. 

Once a referee arrives, he should have total control over the running of the meeting. Similar to football.

10 hours ago, cityrebel said:

Once a referee arrives, he should have total control over the running of the meeting. Similar to football.

I always thought he did have. What does he not control ?

3 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

Do female referees have lesser powers?

16 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

He doesn't control parades, intervals and tractor breaks. That is down to the promoter.