British Speedway Forum
Sidney the robin

Name your favourite five riders.

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

No gentleman George Barclay  WK ?  you have probably missed endless others that you admired.For me i admire any rider of any ability that has the guts to ride a speedway bike.

Never were truer words spoken Sidney. :t::approve:

Edited by The White Knight
Error on my part.

Peter Collins, Mark Loram, Jason Crump, Alan Wilkinson, Tai Woffinden...

• Like 1

Riders iv seen down Perry Bar over the years.        Phil Herne / Phil Crump / Hans Nielsen / John Louis / Bob Kilby / Andy Graham

On 8/10/2021 at 7:42 AM, BL65 said:

Ronnie Moore, Bob Andrews, Jack Scott, Stefan Kwoczala, Ivor Hughes

Weren't there two Jack Scotts'-is this the one who was a star in the Prov. League. Also great to see  a mention of Ivor Hughes , I watched him in1966 when he was just starting to really take off!!

Dave Gifford, Tom Leadbitter, Bill Powell, Ken Eyre, Bruce Cribb. 

The 'Wolves' riders who put the 'team' into team Speedway. 

They made the team jacket proud. The engine room behind the stars.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Weren't there two Jack Scotts'-is this the one who was a star in the Prov. League. Also great to see  a mention of Ivor Hughes , I watched him in1966 when he was just starting to really take off!!

The one and only Jack Scott came over from Australia to join Southampton in 1959 and was a Saints rider for 3 seasons, although he was loaned to Plymouth in 1961.  His progress was aided by a football pools win which enabled him to invest in good machinery.  Covering for missing riders, he also rode several times for Southampton during that season, averaging just under 9 points per match and recording two paid maximums.  He was one of the top riders in the Provincial League with Plymouth, recording 13 maximums and averaging just over 11 points per match.  He stayed in Australia from 1962 to 1966 but after being crowned Australian Champion he agreed to join Cradley Heath in 1967.  Mechanical problems led to him quitting mid-season and returning to Australia.  In the World Championship in 1961 Jack Scott progressed through the British rounds as far as the British Final at Wembley.  He should not be confused with Eric ('Bluey') Scott, a fellow Australian who also rode for Southampton for a season in the 1950s before finishing his British career with Glasgow.

Mounted on new machinery, Ivor Hughes was transformed from a reserve to heat leader in 1966 before his tragic accident on 20th August.  In the month before his untimely death he had shown real potential.  Top scoring with 10 points at home to Newcastle he beat Ivan Mauger 3 times, although Mauger eventually pulled up, already beaten, in one of those heats.  Hughes then beat Mauger again in the second half to make it 4 wins in a row, before Mauger gained his only success in the scratch race final.  A couple of weeks later he scored a 12 point maximum and remained unbeaten in the second half against a Hackney team containing Colin Pratt and Roy Trigg.  His finest moment came when, after scoring 10 points against the touring Vargarna team, he defeated the previously unbeaten reigning World Champion Bjorn Knutson in the scratch race final.  A few days later he top scored with 10 against Swindon, losing only to the team riding Martin Ashby-Mike Broadbank combination.  Sadly, he crashed in heat 13 of the meeting against Sheffield when heading for another 12 point maximum.

Edited by BL65

My first five speedway heroes were Nygren, Ronnie Moore, Lofqvist, Tommy Jansson and Briggo when he returned to Wimbledon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BL65 said:

The one and only Jack Scott came over from Australia to join Southampton in 1959 and was a Saints rider for 3 seasons, although he was loaned to Plymouth in 1961.  His progress was aided by a football pools win which enabled him to invest in good machinery.  Covering for missing riders, he also rode several times for Southampton during that season, averaging just under 9 points per match and recording two paid maximums.  He was one of the top riders in the Provincial League with Plymouth, recording 13 maximums and averaging just over 11 points per match.  He stayed in Australia from 1962 to 1966 but after being crowned Australian Champion he agreed to join Cradley Heath in 1967.  Mechanical problems led to him quitting mid-season and returning to Australia.  In the World Championship in 1961 Jack Scott progressed through the British rounds as far as the British Final at Wembley.  He should not be confused with Eric ('Bluey') Scott, a fellow Australian who also rode for Southampton for a season in the 1950s before finishing his British career with Glasgow.

Mounted on new machinery, Ivor Hughes was transformed from a reserve to heat leader in 1966 before his tragic accident on 20th August.  In the month before his untimely death he had shown real potential.  Top scoring with 10 points at home to Newcastle he beat Ivan Mauger 3 times, although Mauger eventually pulled up, already beaten, in one of those heats.  Hughes then beat Mauger again in the second half to make it 4 wins in a row, before Mauger gained his only success in the scratch race final.  A couple of weeks later he scored a 12 point maximum and remained unbeaten in the second half against a Hackney team containing Colin Pratt and Roy Trigg.  His finest moment came when, after scoring 10 points against the touring Vargarna team, he defeated the previously unbeaten reigning World Champion Bjorn Knutson in the scratch race final.  A few days later he top scored with 10 against Swindon, losing only to the team riding Martin Ashby-Mike Broadbank combination.  Sadly, he crashed in heat 13 of the meeting against Sheffield when heading for another 12 point maximum.

Thanks BL 65 re Jack Scott answer-anyone know if Jack is still with us??. I agree with you  re Ivor Hughes and remember him beating Ivan. As always BL65 I learn something new every time you post-your contributions are much valued.

6 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanks BL 65 re Jack Scott answer-anyone know if Jack is still with us?

Jack passed away in 2020.

Ivan , lou sansom, martin ashby, briggo, alan cowland/ ken vale cant decide over those last 2.

Ronnie Moore, Tommy Jansson, Roger Johns, Peter Collins and Nicki Pedersen

• Like 1

Wolves riders; Olsen,Ermolenko,PK, Lindgren,M.Karlsson

Others; Screen,Henka,Shawn Moran,Gollob,Loram( I know he rode for Wolves)

Scott Autrey,Kenny Carter,Tommy Jansson,Ray Wilson,Per Jonsson.

Like many others,ask me on another day;)

Very surprised that no one has mentioned Tony Rickardsson so far on this thread:o

Edited by bluejam