Sidney the robin

Name your favourite five riders.

Zdenek Kudrna

Ivan Mauger

Arthur Browning

George Major

Kenny Carter

• Like 1

OGT- I am interested that one of your favourites is George Major-glad to see him mentioned. CH were big rivals of Newport-when we met in the KO Cup Final of the  Provincial League in 1964- we (Newport) won on aggregate by 2 points. I have to say we won because of Georges' absence thru' injury in the second leg at CH . My first visit to an away track-I always have had a soft spot for CH ever since. One of the hi-lites of that meeting was Johnny Edwards(CH) scoring 13 points from 6 rides- Ivor Brown of course scored an immaculate 15 point max At the Final Heat (16) Newport needed 2 points- the result was John Hart, Dick Bradley, Alan Totney and Jon Erskine- so Dick came through for us.. Holy Cow that meeting was Oct 24th, 1964-57 years ago. That would be like me meeting an old geezer in 1964 who was telling me about the F.A. Cup Final of 1907!!!. Newport had started the meeting with a 20 point lead and CH whittled away at it so it all depended on the last race. They won the second leg by 18 points and just missed winning on aggregate.

I am looking at the program right now -the comments  were by Tom Johnson (RIP)  of the Express and Star (wonder if that's still published?) The Supporters Club notes were  by Irene Pritchard (RIP)- the advert on the back page was a full page for Watney's Red Barrel - I was going to say also RIP -but don't want to be disrespectful to Tom or Irene.

BTW after the meeting I and the coachload of supporters I came with went for a beer  or three at a pub within walking distance of Dudley Wood. Lots of CH fans -everyone very friendly and a great evening had by all. I'll never forget the friendly CH fans. Wonderful days!!

• Like 2

The Express and Star is still going and still covers speedway . It comes out in a morning now rather than evening I think. Can't remember the pubs name but used to go in there as a 14 year old before the meeting and get a pint. Thought I was all grown up standing there with a pint lol

On 12/2/2021 at 4:05 PM, bruno said:

The Express and Star is still going and still covers speedway . It comes out in a morning now rather than evening I think. Can't remember the pubs name but used to go in there as a 14 year old before the meeting and get a pint. Thought I was all grown up standing there with a pint lol

Just tried to get to Merry Hell for Christmas shopping and had to give up as nowhere to park. Came back via Cradley and it reminded me that the pub at the top of Dudley Wood Rd is, The Woodman and the one next to the 'stadium' is the Victoria Inn. A few Wolves fans would park up at the Golden Cross and have a few beers in the 'priest hole' before walking down the "Wembley Way Of The Midlands" to the track. Still miss the dump. Must visit the 'Ole Power' bridge sometime! 

• Like 1

On 12/2/2021 at 2:27 AM, BOBBATH said:

OGT- I am interested that one of your favourites is George Major-glad to see him mentioned. 

TBH, how could you not love The Galloping Major? He was the man at Brum in 71 and when he appeared in his banana skin leathers, we loved him even more. 

A great rider to watch, a 100% trier and. 110% team man. A brilliant skipper. 

Above all though, he's a lovely fella and that's probably worth more than anything. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, OGT said:

TBH, how could you not love The Galloping Major? He was the man at Brum in 71 and when he appeared in his banana skin leathers, we loved him even more. 

A great rider to watch, a 100% trier and. 110% team man. A brilliant skipper. 

Above all though, he's a lovely fella and that's probably worth more than anything. 

...good old Oxfordshire lad!

• Like 1