British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

It's Not All About Winning Races!

1 hour ago, steve roberts said:

How many paid maximums did Hans achieve Sid?

It really changed from the time he went to Oxford, Steve, as there weren't many before than.

1984 - 10F, 9P
1985 - 17F, 11P
1986 - 22F, 9P
1987 - 21F, 9P
1988 - 15F, 4P
1989 - 9F, 5P
1990 - 1F, 4P
1991 - 4F, 1P
1992 - 3F, 1P

Considering he was still averaging well over 10, that's not many from 1990-92...

Talking of riders seeing their team mates home, we shouldn't forget the hero of Rye House, Kelvin Mullarkey. He was a master at the art of team riding. For example in the three years, 1978-1980, he scored 45, 84 and 69 bonus points respectively.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, chunky said:

It really changed from the time he went to Oxford, Steve, as there weren't many before than.

1984 - 10F, 9P
1985 - 17F, 11P
1986 - 22F, 9P
1987 - 21F, 9P
1988 - 15F, 4P
1989 - 9F, 5P
1990 - 1F, 4P
1991 - 4F, 1P
1992 - 3F, 1P

Considering he was still averaging well over 10, that's not many from 1990-92...

Thanks for that. Hans was desperate to be part of a winning team and the Oxford Promotion gave him that missing criteria that he so craved and I guess that was reflected in his bonus point tally. Yes he wasn't so dominant in his later years at Cowley as things started to tail off but perhaps one factor was that the heat formula decreed that there be a top scorers nominated heat? Without checking I wonder if maximums generally were on the downward turn due to the example I gave plus fixed gates (can never remember when they were introduced)?

2 hours ago, steve roberts said:

How many paid maximums did Hans achieve Sid?

Great stuff from Chunky Steve , interesting reading  Nielsen 84/ 92 ( his peak ) ——— 102 max —— 53 paid max - total —- 155.      Olsen 1970/ 78( his peak) ———- 116 max———18 paid max  _total ____ 134.  that does tell you something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steve roberts said:

Thanks for that. Hans was desperate to be part of a winning team and the Oxford Promotion gave him that missing criteria that he so craved and I guess that was reflected in his bonus point tally. Yes he wasn't so dominant in his later years at Cowley as things started to tail off but perhaps one factor was that the heat formula decreed that there be a top scorers nominated heat? Without checking I wonder if maximums generally were on the downward turn due to the example I gave plus fixed gates (can never remember when they were introduced)?

Yeah, I can never remember when things like that were introduced, but it is funny considering his averages were still up there. However, I just looked at the stats again:

From 1984 to to 1988, he rode between 41 and 50 meetings a year.
In 1989 and 1990 he rode 34 meetings.
In 1991 he rode 24 meetings, and in 1992 he rode 25.

So, BIG difference there...

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

Fixed gate positions were brought into action in both the BL and NL in 1988.

Thanks Sid...I can never remember!

Sam Ermolenko deserves a mention in this company. 34 full maximums but 64 paid in his Wolves career. He would often point the line he wanted his partner to take as he defended the 5-1. PK also had far more paid than full maximums. Ole on the other hand scored 81 full in his Wolves career: but only 7 paid in six years!

• Like 1