Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iainb

Birmingham vs Leicester 11/08/2021

No excuse for a poor surface...we've known about it since the start of the season.....it looks like we've given up already!?

If it's a week by week situation (as the 'management' have stated...) it appears that we're not bothering spending time or money on the the most important thing...'the track'!

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

It’s because the track isn’t prepped right in the first place, water needs to get into the track to prevent dust.

Its needs a good soaking the night before a meeting in warm summer conditions and then occasionally watering during the day of the meeting.

There have been plenty of statements about what access Club has to Track or doesn't have.

It wouldn't be first time that they have not had full access until 2pm on match day.

They have tried to flood it then and it's gone wrong in the past.

I've heard (only third hand) that they cannot enter Stadium to water the day before. That would explain the ongoing problems they have if its correct.

The water bowser did go round but didn't seem to be much/any water coming from it in Home Straight and after a few races it's probably more dangerous to water than not.

I drove home with an air of inevitability sad to say.

Good crowd last week but this weeks was only due to Leicester fans of which may be 200?. I also saw a smattering of Edinburgh fans around. If you take those number off probably back down to 500-600. If you take ST holders off that, it's back to square 1.

Hopefully we can get another week at least but Berwick are not the draw that Leicester are and the Track will need to be better much better or any profit from this week / last week will be blown away quickly. 

• Like 1

“I appreciate the dust problem, but what can we do? We’ve put down eight bowser loads through the day to try and keep it down, but it’s just drying out with the cloud cover and the wind.

“Unless you go out and water every race you can’t do much, but we do know the track needs a lot more work on it, which we’re aiming to get done.”

Sadly, and I hope I'm wrong, but I do think next weeks Berwick match maybe the last, unless there's some kind of miracle. Because anybody that witnessed this match won't be returning in a hurry, I certainly won't, I've done my bit.

The track was, in a word, dangerous. Chris Harris spat off his bike going into turn 2, the same could easily have happened to Andersen a couple of heats earlier as he nearly lost it in the same place. Clouds of dust billowing from the track in much the same way as it was on my previous visit on the 21st of July, fortunately that night the wind wasn't blowing in the direction of the crowd. It was obvious there were problems with the track when the tractor appeared after heat 3, the watering throughout the night was on the very outside of the track while all the dust was being generated from the inside and then we were treated to more endless tractor racing after heat 13, just when the match should have been building to a crescendo... I'm sure the people that had paid for the "centre green experience" certainly felt they got value for money, they were stood out there for ages!

This was Birmingham's bumper night and sadly they blew it... You're trying to attract new supporters or bring old ones back and that's what you serve up! There was a young girl with her dad stood near to me... she was asking her dad if they could go after heat 12... this was after heat 7... they stuck it out until after heat 13 then disappeared.

17 minutes ago, Col said:

“I appreciate the dust problem, but what can we do? We’ve put down eight bowser loads through the day to try and keep it down, but it’s just drying out with the cloud cover and the wind.

“Unless you go out and water every race you can’t do much, but we do know the track needs a lot more work on it, which we’re aiming to get done.”

Not sure where you got that quote from... but the answer is right there, whoever said it has answered it, you go out after every race if that's what it takes. If you are physically unable to work on the track because of access issues then if the track needs watering after every race, then water it after every race, don't send the crowd home covered in dust!

Don't Wolverhampton have similar access issues? They serve up a perfect track every week (or at least they used to, I haven't been to Wolves in a few years). If they need to get the Wolves track man in as a consultant, get him in, they're only 15 miles down the road! 

Edited by iainb

26 minutes ago, Col said:

but we do know the track needs a lot more work on it, which we’re aiming to get done.”

aiming to....or will be ??

12 minutes ago, iainb said:

Not sure where you got that quote from...

It's on the Brummies website.

• Thanks 1

Is it really putting people off? My lad is new to the sport and as we are on holiday in Devon the week after next has asked if we can see the Brummies ride there.

If you are new you don't really know what to expect. Hardcore supporters yes, but newbies.

Dust clouds are unacceptable.  Old or new fans don’t want to get filthy while watching speedway. 
another problem is riders hate the track been watered during the meeting.  If the track has been prepared properly in the first place then watering shouldn’t be needed unless it’s a really hot day. 
if you fail to prepare then prepare to fail I’m afraid 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

Dust clouds are unacceptable.  Old or new fans don’t want to get filthy while watching speedway. 
another problem is riders hate the track been watered during the meeting.  If the track has been prepared properly in the first place then watering shouldn’t be needed unless it’s a really hot day. 

If it's down to sending the fans home covered in dust or the riders not liking the track watered, the fans should take precedence every single time.

But you're right it shouldn't have been in such a state in the first place.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Racin Jason 72 said:

It sounds to me the problem is more to do with the material on the track,it needs a decent amount of clay in it to help retain the moisture and reduce the need for water,at Plymouth they don't water the track until 4.30 on race day and we don't get any issues with dust.

2 minutes ago, lewy said:

It sounds to me the problem is more to do with the material on the track,it needs a decent amount of clay in it to help retain the moisture and reduce the need for water,at Plymouth they don't water the track until 4.30 on race day and we don't get any issues with dust.

That would be my theory also!

1 hour ago, iainb said:

This was Birmingham's bumper night and sadly they blew it... You're trying to attract new supporters or bring old ones back and that's what you serve up! There was a young girl with her dad stood near to me... she was asking her dad if they could go after heat 12... this was after heat 7... they stuck it out until after heat 13 then disappeared.

That was my daughter and I.  It was her first ever meeting (so she's got nothing to compare it to) and she really enjoyed it and was asking when we can go back.  She was tired because her legs were aching and she's normally in bed by half eight.  I'll be honest, I'd be more likely to take her to Wolverhampton next time to cheer on whoever Wolves are riding against so at least she can see a meeting on a normal track.

Your points are spot on.   The track was an utter disgrace.  Daisy was struggling to watch after the first 6 or 7 heats as there was so much dust in the air, it was all over my head and needed brushing off when we got back to the car.  I felt like I was part of the Afrika Korps.   Even she was commenting that the watering and tractor racing was having no effect whatsoever, so a 9 year old at her first ever meeting could see the issue.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Kester said:

I'll be honest, I'd be more likely to take her to Wolverhampton next time to cheer on whoever Wolves are riding against so at least she can see a meeting on a normal track.

Never heard Monmore referred to as a normal track before!